Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Garmin GPS V

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin GPS V

I purchased the GPS V on Thursday and today I finally got around to mounting it. The OEM pads that Garmin supplies just wouldn't stick to my dash no matter how well I cleaned it. I then just tried attaching the unit to the dash directly with the supplied velcro and it still wouldn't stick.

Yesterday I went to Office Depot and picked up some industrial strength Velcro velcro and double-sided exterior tape. I decided to mount the GPS V in it's holder on the dash mount. I used the double-sided tape to do this by cutting three strips then matching it to the bottom of the base's inset. The tape was a little thicker than the inset but not noticeably by much. This also give it room to conform to the slight curve of the Taco's dash. The OEM pads were too thin to stick the whole base mount to the dash so the thicker tape was the solution.

So far the unit is nice and for my first GPS I think it's overkill. Won't be buying a new one for a long time. My only complaint is that it uses a serial connector to the computer. I haven't opened the software package yet in case I still want to return it. The base map is fine for now.

I've been running it on batteries for the past few days and loathe cables running all over my truck's interior. I don't know how tricky I want to get with trying to use the 12-volt connector. Drilling the dash to connect it cleaning by running the adaptor into the dash just seems like too much work. I'll probably just use batteries since I don't plan to use it for everyday driving, trails mostly.

Here's a couple pics I took tonight of it stuck on the dash: Clicky!

Last edited by Darx; 03-27-2004 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Wrong URL
Old 03-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

I used the same Garmin mount for my Etrex and had no trouble getting it to stick to my dash. I used the "non-permanent" mounting material that they supplied. I cleaned the dash with rubbing alcohol first. It has stayed on over quite a few miles of washboard road.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure what the problem for me was. I tried the non-permanent one too. I however did not use rubbing alcohol so maybe that's where I went wrong. However, the problem wih the curved dash was still an issue with either of the two provided pads. The front part of the mount wasn't flush with the dash.

Well, next time around I'll try rubbing alcohol and see how that goes. But this tape is insane so if I try to take off the base I might end up takeing the entire dash with it!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

I also have the Garmin V. I mounted it with just the removable pad, no prob and it's worked great for a year now.

It works pretty well. The batteries tend to last a full day on NiCD rechargeable batteries. I got a recharger and two sets of NiCD batteries, that way on a trip a set charges while the other is working.

I got the 24k US Topo west National parks, which is great shows most trails and lots of detials, however only covers the national parks, I also got the US Topo map, which is OK as it shows some trials and has OK detial, but nearly as mush as the 24k. These maps are expensive, but they work pretty well. Saves you to type in all the coordinates for every trial.

The serial connection sucks as it takes forever to download maps and detials to the GPS. It also doesn't have a memory expansion capbility, which means with the CIty Sleect that comes with it, you fill it up pretty quick.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Try these guys for maps and accesries they are pretty good and prices are the best most of the time.
http://www.4x4books.com/

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 03-27-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Banned

Try these guys for maps and accesries they are pretty good and prices are the best most of the time.
Good, I haven't bought anything from them yet, I just discovered them the other day, but I saw that they had the National Geographic - California topo maps and software that lists for $100 for $80.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dcampen
Good, I haven't bought anything from them yet, I just discovered them the other day, but I saw that they had the National Geographic - California topo maps and software that lists for $100 for $80.
They ship quick and prices are good. Be careful the Cal Topo maps from National geographic doesn't work to well with the GPS, no real inteerface I got it and was very disappointed in the maps.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

Be careful the Cal Topo maps from National geographic doesn't work to well with the GPS, no real inteerface I got it and was very disappointed in the maps.
Ah well, I already bought it, $80 from REI using a 20% sale discount. I guess that I will have to get around to installing it tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
They ship quick and prices are good. Be careful the Cal Topo maps from National geographic doesn't work to well with the GPS, no real inteerface I got it and was very disappointed in the maps.
Gee guys I need to type slower, my grammar sucks

If you already bought it, just use it. It does have useful info, but it is very painful to make it realy work with the GPS. I prefer to be able to download the maps to the GPS. Maybe you can return it and get the Garmin Mapsource maps.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

I prefer to be able to download the maps to the GPS. Maybe you can return it and get the Garmin Mapsource maps.
I've got Mapsource also. I got the National Geographic 1:24,000 topos for the higher resolution. I don't download maps anyways, just routes and waypoints, since my basic Etrex does not accept maps.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Banned

It does have useful info, but it is very painful to make it realy work with the GPS. I prefer to be able to download the maps to the GPS.
I was just looking at the sales literature that came with the National Geographic product. For another $25 you can get TOPO!GPS USA. "TOPO!GPS USA is an enhanced version of TOPO! designed specifically for GPS users. Upload, download and live track between Garmin, Magellan, Eagle and Lowrance receivers and any TOPO! Interactive Map CD-ROM. A full suite of extended features makes TOPO!GPS USA and essential upgrade for GPS users."

Anyone tried this product?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:12 PM

I think it was FirefighterEMT from Mass. made a nice mount that slips into the stock dash cup holders.

It was a small piece of plywood that laid accross the top of the cup holder with discs that slipped into the cup holder part.

Gadget
Old 03-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

I was just looking at the sales literature that came with the National Geographic product. For another $25 you can get TOPO!GPS USA. "TOPO!GPS USA is an enhanced version of TOPO! designed specifically for GPS users. Upload, download and live track between Garmin, Magellan, Eagle and Lowrance receivers and any TOPO! Interactive Map CD-ROM. A full suite of extended features makes TOPO!GPS USA and essential upgrade for GPS users."

Anyone tried this product?
ARe you sure it downloads the maps? It seems just like the routes adn waypoints. I would love to look at it if it did the maps as well.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
I think it was FirefighterEMT from Mass. made a nice mount that slips into the stock dash cup holders.

It was a small piece of plywood that laid accross the top of the cup holder with discs that slipped into the cup holder part.

Gadget
Yep, I had that set up, But I like it much better up on the dash. Too hard to see down t here for real street routing. Here is the link to my currant mount..

Garmin V mount

This is the one Gadget is talking about.. It was fair, but the wrong angle, it bounced too much, and blocked too much.. I think the same idea, with one "cup hole" mounted to the factory base would make a nice "tempoary" rental car base though.. BTW, you also will have a poorer reception there..
Old 03-29-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
http://www.4x4books.com/
I'd second this. I got my eTrex from them for about $50 less than I could find anywhere else. Even after having to pay tax on it.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:43 AM

Very nice Lee.

Can I get you to whip me up one of those Hi-Lift adapter things you made?

Gadget
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

ARe you sure it downloads the maps? It seems just like the routes adn waypoints. I would love to look at it if it did the maps as well.
From the sales literature I have I can't tell what extra the Topo!GPS does over Topo!. I went to the National Geographic site to try to find more info but can't find even any mention of the Topo!GPS product. Maybe when I get home tonight I can find a better link in the sales literature.

I have had a small amount of time to play with the Nat. Geo. product and I am disappointed but then I am disappointed with the Garmin Mapsource product too. In addition to your complaint that it can't download maps (though I notice that the DeLorme product also can't do this) (I am also using the term "download" oppositely of the way Nat. Geo. uses it - they say upload to the GPS, download from the GPS; I say upload from the GPS, download to the GPS) I am disappointed that I can't import GPS data that I have saved in Garmin(?) .mpg format to the Nat. Geo product on my PC. To get saved track log, route and waypoint data into the Nat. Geo. product I will have to convert it into a stupid comma delimited text file.

Another disappointment is having to frequently change between to CDs as I zoom in and out on a single area. They should have the high level maps repeated on all the relevant detail CDs so that I can zoom in and out on a single location without changing CD. Even better, I would like to buy an external 8GB disk and dump all the CDs to this so that I don't have to change CDs ever but I don't see any instructions for doing this.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned

I see with the DeLorme product I can dump all the CDs to a hard drive. DeLorme doesn't say much about their GPS capabilities though - like can they import Garmin .mpg files.
http://www.delorme.com/quads/whatsnew.asp

I'll have to take back my criticism of the National Geographic product re the ability to move the CD data onto a hard drive. They do indeed give instructions for doing this.

Last edited by dcampen; 03-30-2004 at 12:57 PM. Reason: New information
Old 03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

The mapsource Topo and 24K Park Topo maps are OK. The normal Topo one does have some trials and stuff on it, it just lacks some detials (too big scale). The National park one is actually pretty good in detial, however it cuts ofpretty rough at the edges i.e. no detial.

It works pretty well, as I switch between the City select, Topo and 24K on the map on the PC.

However I haven't figured out a way to download (or more correctly upload to GPS) waypoints and route, apart from manual type in each way point. I have however found just clicking waypoints on the Topo map seems to work OK. Also I am not able yet to download from GPS the tracking info, to show on map where I have been and that sucks!

So far I would say, if you buy a Garmin keep to the Mapsource maps. Also if you have an option try to get a unit with memory expansion capability and USB connection.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Garmin Updates

Go to this link and update your software and see if that helps..

From the sales literature I have I can't tell what extra the Topo!GPS does over Topo!. I went to the National Geographic site to try to find more info but can't find even any mention of the Topo!GPS product. Maybe when I get home tonight I can find a better link in the sales literature.

I have had a small amount of time to play with the Nat. Geo. product and I am disappointed but then I am disappointed with the Garmin Mapsource product too. In addition to your complaint that it can't download maps (though I notice that the DeLorme product also can't do this) (I am also using the term "download" oppositely of the way Nat. Geo. uses it - they say upload to the GPS, download from the GPS; I say upload from the GPS, download to the GPS) I am disappointed that I can't import GPS data that I have saved in Garmin(?) .mpg format to the Nat. Geo product on my PC. To get saved track log, route and waypoint data into the Nat. Geo. product I will have to convert it into a stupid comma delimited text file.

Another disappointment is having to frequently change between to CDs as I zoom in and out on a single area. They should have the high level maps repeated on all the relevant detail CDs so that I can zoom in and out on a single location without changing CD. Even better, I would like to buy an external 8GB disk and dump all the CDs to this so that I don't have to change CDs ever but I don't see any instructions for doing this.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS V