Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gadget HELP!!!! check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gadget HELP!!!! check engine light!

Well, hoping Gadget will respond here and help me out, but anyone else with an idea please feel free to respond!!

I just removed my supercharger to get the truck ready to sell, and soon after my first drive NA, the check engine light triggered. Gave the code for "lean condition, bank 1". I checked the vacuum lines and found one I forgot to connect, and one loose one. I replaced the loose one (went from rear valve cover to the intake) and reset the light. Well, the light stayed off for two days and now it is back. I did have some question as to where the fuel pressure reg. line is supposed to go factory (right now I have it connected to the silencer of the intake). Also, what is supposed to be connected to the nipple coming out of the front of the intake plenum (my buddies tacoma does not have this port).

Please help!! I want my engine light to go away!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 PM

anyone?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Well, I'm wondering if this isn't just coincidental and maybe it's something routine such as your MAF needing cleaning. This sounds like a situation that I would be in.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What was the exact OBD code you got?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 AM

CODE:

P0171

I will check the MAF tonight, but I'm doubting that will be it because it was directly after I pulled the SC off. No codes EVER before that.

Thanks again guys!

Ralph
Old 10-14-2003, 10:01 AM

My guess is that it is most likely a vacuum leak. Did you use all new gaskets when you replaced the intake connectors and throttle body? Did you install the throttle body gasket correctly?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-14-2003, 10:05 AM

I did have some question as to where the fuel pressure reg. line is supposed to go factory (right now I have it connected to the silencer of the intake).
Now if i rember correctly.....this is a small hose right?.....i remeber that going either somewhere ON the TB or right after it.....no wait that is s/c'd....oh yea there was this bunch of hoses that was straped ont he top right of the engine bay and it had a large hose medium and a tiny one which plugged into the FPR....the hose went around to a small connection on the intake plenum.

If you are still confused ill check when i get home where it goes i still have my intake manifold here)
Old 10-14-2003, 10:39 AM
TOR

Yeppers that is the MAF code alright.

Todd

22204-07010 $101.20

Last edited by TOR; 10-14-2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Let me know if you need a new TB gasket Ralph.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by TOR
Yeppers that is the MAF code alright.

Todd

22204-07010 $101.20
I am 99.9 % sure I installed the gasket correctly Gadget...and no I did not use new gaskets, but the ones that originally came on the truck (I used the one in the kit when I put the sc on).

Todd, would this be a warranty item? I am still well within my 5/60 powertrain.

Would be pretty cool if it was!

btw, thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by PhxTRDRunner; 10-14-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM
TOR

MAF

Hmm, no it wouldn't be covered under your powertrain warranty. HOWEVER, it should be covered under the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty if the vehicle was purchased new.

Todd
Old 10-14-2003, 02:22 PM

While the P0171 code is usually indicative of a dirty MAF / IAT sensor, it might not be in this case. You already know you have vaccuum problems, which also triggers the code. Need to fix those leaks.

The sensor can easily be cleaned and probably should be if its never been.

You're probably SOL if you ask for replacement under warranty, this is a 3yr/36K item.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Ok guys, I took the truck back apart to clean the MAF and TB. While apart I noticed that I might have the WRONG gasket on the TB. I may have used the one from my friends '03 Tacoma. Which, IMO looks like it could be wrong, as the TB obviously has some kind of ports towards the bottom of it that may not be sealed. I am attaching a pic. Please tell me if it is incorrect.
Attached Thumbnails Gadget HELP!!!! check engine light!-throttlebody1.jpg  
Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 PM

oh and btw, I obviously did fix the hose that was not connected and I replaced the loose one with a new toyota hose.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
Ok guys, I took the truck back apart to clean the MAF and TB. While apart I noticed that I might have the WRONG gasket on the TB. I may have used the one from my friends '03 Tacoma. Which, IMO looks like it could be wrong, as the TB obviously has some kind of ports towards the bottom of it that may not be sealed. I am attaching a pic. Please tell me if it is incorrect.
Looks like it's the wrong gasket.

I installed an "O" gasket (see 96_Runner's thread) on a friend's truck on Saturday. In the cold, wet, and dark, I messed up and had it spun 90 degrees such that the "bump" in the gasket was facing towards the front of the engine.

She got in, fired it up, and it ran rough. I "thought" it might just want to reset the ECU since we had also done a deckplate. But she spat a P0171 on the way home that night, and it was still idling rough. The next day, I cleared the code, found the gasket issue, fixed that, and the idle smoothed out. She popped a CEL the next morning though (and I haven't had a chance to meet up with her and read the code).

From this experience, I can tell you that when I had that bottom bump uncovered, the truck pulled a P0171. Further, I can tell you that it idled rough -and- if you put your finger under the TB right in front of the bump while the engine is running, you'll feel the suction at the seam of the TB and the manifold.

I think you need the "right" gasket.

Mark
Old 10-14-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by midiwall
Looks like it's the wrong gasket.

I installed an "O" gasket (see 96_Runner's thread) on a friend's truck on Saturday. In the cold, wet, and dark, I messed up and had it spun 90 degrees such that the "bump" in the gasket was facing towards the front of the engine.

She got in, fired it up, and it ran rough. I "thought" it might just want to reset the ECU since we had also done a deckplate. But she spat a P0171 on the way home that night, and it was still idling rough. The next day, I cleared the code, found the gasket issue, fixed that, and the idle smoothed out. She popped a CEL the next morning though (and I haven't had a chance to meet up with her and read the code).

From this experience, I can tell you that when I had that bottom bump uncovered, the truck pulled a P0171. Further, I can tell you that it idled rough -and- if you put your finger under the TB right in front of the bump while the engine is running, you'll feel the suction at the seam of the TB and the manifold.

I think you need the "right" gasket.

Mark
lol, I do appreciate you humor I will be ordering a gasket in the morning unless Dan can reply here and shoot me a phone number so I can grab one of his. I do hear a "suction" noise while I'm driving, but I didn't know if that was a deckplate mod thing, since I have never driven with the mod n/a.

Dan where are you???
Old 10-14-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
lol, I do appreciate you humor
I try.

I will be ordering a gasket in the morning unless Dan can reply here and shoot me a phone number so I can grab one of his.
Christian (96_Runner) has a couple more and actually I have an extra one as well. If you can't hook up with your buddy, just know that there are a couple close at hand.

I do hear a "suction" noise while I'm driving, but I didn't know if that was a deckplate mod thing, since I have never driven with the mod n/a.
Hmmm... the suction that my friend had going on wasn't enough to hear with the hood closed - I'd figure that what you're hearing is the deckplate.

But, it doesn't take much to throw off the balance of the air/fuel and end up tossing the P code.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, just let me know Ralph. I will be around this weekend for the most part.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:36 AM

Hey Dan, I need a phone number so I can grab one of those gaskets !!!

~Ralph

602 421 2202
Old 10-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Ralph are you talking to me (Christian)?

If so, my middle name is Daniel, so I guess I forgive you...

Want me to give you a call?

Quick Reply: Gadget HELP!!!! check engine light!