Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FYI - Rip Off Alert

Old 11-06-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI - Rip Off Alert

This is not really a big deal but it is in one way ... you be the judge.

I am installing a Porsche rear red fog lamp on my 4R and I want to use an OE Toyota rocker switch to activate it. PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, the one-stop- shopping catalog store has been carrying one for for years and just added an oval shaped switch to the selection. The rectangular lighted switch sells for $49.95 and the oval switch sells for $59.95. See page 89 in their new catalog. Well, I just bought the rectangular switch PN 00550-35976, rated at 21 amps @24 volts from my Toyota parts guy for ...... $9.26. The oval switch is about $36.00. Once again PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS has proved that they can not be trusted and BUYER BEWARE.

Thus ends my public service announcement.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everything they carry is a rip off. They aren't the manufacturer, they are the reseller. The company I work for sells them a couple of things. So I know that at least two products are of good quality. Check out the TireStep and the TruckStep.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Toyota dealership

If you notice on their catalogue that their Toyota parts are supplied by some local dealer, Northwest Toyota or something like that, so in essence it is a dealer who is trying to rip folks off and PP is just going along with it. Some things they have a good deal on, you just have to shop , don't let my wife hear me say that, around and find the best price for what you want. Sometimes it isn't worth the hassle of getting the lowest price in a catalogue and getting it shipped from Timbuktoo. Lots of times I just buy stuff local for a little higher price but I save on shipping and if there is a problem I can just take it right back instead of shipping it back.

I do like looking at the catalogue though. My wife gives me a hard time by always commenting about whatever page I leave it opened up to she says she can tell what I'm going to buy next. I've got to start being sneakier like her!

Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM

Re: Toyota dealership

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
If you notice on their catalogue that their Toyota parts are supplied by some local dealer, Northwest Toyota or something like that, so in essence it is a dealer who is trying to rip folks off and PP is just going along with it. Some things they have a good deal on, you just have to shop , don't let my wife hear me say that, around and find the best price for what you want. Sometimes it isn't worth the hassle of getting the lowest price in a catalogue and getting it shipped from Timbuktoo. Lots of times I just buy stuff local for a little higher price but I save on shipping and if there is a problem I can just take it right back instead of shipping it back.

I do like looking at the catalogue though. My wife gives me a hard time by always commenting about whatever page I leave it opened up to she says she can tell what I'm going to buy next. I've got to start being sneakier like her!

Respectfully, I beg to differ with you... although it appears as if we are married to the same woman.

The new TRD offerings are supplied by Northwest, but the rectangular switch has been in the line for well over a year and there is no dealer mention. Besides, that kind of outrageous markup is inexcusable to say the least. They used to market the replacement Hella fog lamps as being brighter than OEM, but when I called Hella they said that the housings could not accommodate a bulb brighter than 55w. When I called PP and told their buyer he just shrugged it off as no big deal.

I love the catalog but their information is totally untrustworthy and irresponsible. You have to be really careful dealing with them.
JM2C
Old 11-06-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
manymods,

yes, buyer beware. and i think that applies to just about every thing you buy, regardless of who is selling. for example, i bought a toyota oem battery for my wife's camry. dealer a = $129.99 (no joke). dealer b = $89.99. same battery. does that mean dealer a is a rip off artist? not in my book. it just means that they aren't pricing their stuff competitively and will lose business until they figure it out---or some unlucky soul who doens't price shop buys their battery at $129!

bob
Old 11-06-2003, 04:43 PM

uh-hu, yea... and when the DA's catch wind of threads like these!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:07 PM

There is a pos town out in Nevada between LV and some other big city...cant remember the name right now.
Anyway, my neighbor needed a battery. Guess how much. $350.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FirstToy
There is a pos town out in Nevada between LV and some other big city...cant remember the name right now.
Wasn't that out where the Texas Chainsaw Massacre took place?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i remember looking for a clock to go in the spot in the dash of my '84 i used to have...the one in that catalog was $200! i could have just gone to the junk yard and paid 10 bucks for one
Old 11-06-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
This kind of ˟˟˟˟ is common around here in the winter.

Getting pulled out of a ditch = $50
Getting pulled out of a ditch in the winter = $150.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM

If I get my winch before winter, I'll be stopping to pull people out of the ditch on my way up the mountain. But I just can't see myself charging people! Though it would be a quick way to pay for the winch, I don't think I could do it.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Toyota dealership

Originally posted by waskillywabbit

I can't keep it out of my wife's hands! she keeps picking stuff out that she wants for her runner, but none of the fun stuff like SC's and exhaust and bumpers and lockers and stuff. just floor mats and crap. but then she starts with, "if you buy me this you can get this." haha, I guess it works to my advantage.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by OneTrickToy
If I get my winch before winter, I'll be stopping to pull people out of the ditch on my way up the mountain. But I just can't see myself charging people! Though it would be a quick way to pay for the winch, I don't think I could do it.
I agree with that. I had pulled a guy out around here and he expected me to charge him and started pulling out his wallet. I laughed and said "put that thing away!" I mean it rediculous, if I ever see somebody charge someone for a tow and then I see that person stuck and they ask me for a pull, I'm gonna laugh at them and drive off! Charging is BS and charging more for something because you can is BS too. Alot of tow trucks got in trouble here in Houston during those floods 2 years ago for doubling and tripling their towing charge for people's flooded out cars. There are some real selfish f-heads around! Just my opinion, I feel better now.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

PP are nasty but ...

They do have some sweet stuff like those fitted seat covers. I have'nt found another source for cloth seat covers that fit toys anywhere.
Note to one trick toy... If you're going to winch folks out of their predicaments (ie ditch) you might want to get a few standard waiver forms made up... Something along the line of... I (blank) freely and whole(y) release (one trick toy) from any and/or all liability for any/all damage that may occur during the extraction of the vehicle ( licence # ) a ( make/ model / colour) from the (ditch/ snowbank/etc.) on (date) (time) . Signed ( driver of vehicle )
signed (one trick toy)
If driver is not owner of vehicle than driver assumes all responsibility for damages. etc. etc. Contract # (seqential)

have these forms printed on carbon forms you take the original and the driver the copy. (or the other way around check your state laws on this)
This will cover your ass in case something should happen... many a good deed as gone punished in our litigious society. so it pays to cover your ass with asbestos skivies Cheers aviator
Old 11-07-2003, 03:07 AM

Using your winch to pull someone out for free while the tow truck driver watches=PRICELESS

Last edited by 92 Toyota; 11-07-2003 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Years ago my wife hit a patch of ice, sun, and went over an embankment. It wasn't far, but you could't see the J**p from the pavement unless you looked over the edge. The tow truck couldn't get it back up the hill (his truck was at a bad angle and would slide sideways when trying to pull). I had to use the winch on my Landcruiser to help pull it out and it still cost the insurance company $125. I didn't even get an assist discount!!

Last edited by Yoda; 11-07-2003 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by 92 Toyota

Using your winch to pull someone out for free while the tow truck driver watches=PRICELESS
Old 11-07-2003, 04:16 AM

Re: PP are nasty but ...

Originally posted by aviator
They do have some sweet stuff like those fitted seat covers. I have'nt found another source for cloth seat covers that fit toys anywhere.
Do a search for covercraft seat savers online. I bought the rears of E-bay. They are awesome. proper fit for fold down latch, release knob and everything else. The best price I have found so far for the front covers is here: http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/cosesa.html
Old 11-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

The Performance Products switch dims with the dash lights and the 10 dollar switch does not.

I'm not sticking up for them, but they are NOT the same switch.

Gadget told me the RonS story about the switch in person in Virgina.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:25 AM

so if I don't have a winch, would it still be ok and safe for me to pull people out of ditches using a recovery strap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI - Rip Off Alert