Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

full exaust for a 97...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
full exaust for a 97...

What's the best full exaust system for a 97? I'm not looking to spend for than ... around 500 for the exaust... but i'll be leniant if i have to...- i know there are a lot of different preferences pertaining to exausts on this site.. especially since it is a pretty particular thing.. b/c you have to take into consideration what type of sound you're looking for... but the things i am more concerned with is.. horse power gain.. and just a quality system. I like how most of the exaust systems out there sound.. my decision isn't really based on whether i want it to be loud or or not so loud.. i guess if i had to decide, i'd just go with somethin' in the middle...but essentially i'm just lookin' for a good system. Anyone care to point me in the right direction here?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:20 AM
CTB

Go with a custom setup. 2.5" tubing from the cat to the back, and a free-flowing muffler in the mix...a la Dynomax, Magnaflow, Vortex, or a whole bunch of others. It will be way cheaper than $500.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

You have a few choices. Is your '97 a V-6 or a 4-banger?

There are a few other things you need to consider. Where do you live? Are you on the east coast or in the snow belt or some other place where rust is a problem? If so, you might want to think about getting one of the stainless stell systems from Borla or TRD. Either of these will eat up all of your budget, but are proven to be a nice performance upgrade. Many people here have them and are very happy with them. If you have the 4 cylinder, then you can also get a SS system from Gibson.

Pipe size. The stock system on your truck is 2 1/4 in. diameter. This is the optimum size for performance for the 3.4 liter. You might actually loose some low-end torque if you go any bigger that this. If you are NOT concerned with rust, then all you have to do is get the performance muffler of your choice (Flowmaster, dynomax, magnaflow, vortex, flo-pro, etc.) and have it welded in, then you can always dress it up with a new tip out back, but its not necessary. This is also the cheapest way to go. Usually less than $150, depending on what you go with.

Another thing to consider, is if you want to get a few more HP out of the exhaust upgrade, you could replace the factory catylitic converter with one from Cat-Co, or Car Sound, etc. These run around $100, plus intsall. The muffler shop would also have to weld in a new bung for the Oxygen sensor.

Finally, the last thing to consider is headers. There are a few out there, Downey, Edlebrock, and TRD. These start at about $300 and are a PITA to install. Its just tedious work in cramped spaces. But you asked for detail on a COMPLETE system, and to me, complete means everything from the headers back.

If you want to spend less than $500, and get the best bang for your buck, then get a new cat and muffler installed using 2 1/4 aluminized pipe. If you are worried about rust and want a good system, get one of the Borla or TRD bolt-on systems, and you'll have a few buck left over if you install it yourself. Search Ebay, etc. for these.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Ryd

Bung?

What's a bung? Can the cat not be welded into place similar to a muffler? Is this install more complicated, and costly?? A free-er flowing cat shouldn't harm emissions, should it?

Wish I could find a SS system for my 3.4L for $400..
Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Bung?

Originally posted by Ryd
What's a bung? Can the cat not be welded into place similar to a muffler? Is this install more complicated, and costly?? A free-er flowing cat shouldn't harm emissions, should it?

Its what the 02 sensor screws in to.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Bung?

Originally posted by Ryd

A new cat can be welded in place, just like a muffler. Its not complicated.

There are a couple of SS systems Here

And a few hi-flo cats Here . You can do vehicle-specific searches on that web site, and their prices are usually better than Performance Products.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CTB
Go with a custom setup. 2.5" tubing from the cat to the back, and a free-flowing muffler in the mix...a la Vortex. It will be way cheaper than $500.
That's what I did. I paid $300 total. It's definitely my favorite mod.

Old 02-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Ryd

No cat?

A guy who owns a [pretty big] garage/shop in my area said he's done several exhaust set-ups without catalytic converters. He's done dual exhausts conversions as well, though not necessarily on a 4Runner. He said the impact to emissions is minimal. But let's say I want to keep the cat, just in case, what kind of cat do 3rd gen 4Runners have? Truck Performance lists 3 types...

BTW, thanks for the link. The JBA exhausts look priced to sell. I like the idea of pulling everything off and starting anew, even though it costs considerably more than just throwing a Dynomax, Magnaflow, FlowMaster, Flo-Pro, or yes, even Vortex(!!) on there. SS for under $400??? How much is shipping... hmmm...
Old 02-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

The 4Runners should have the honeycomb style cat. The only other one I know of is the lead pellet type. What's the 3rd?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Ryd

Turck Perf listed:

3-WAY + AIR CONVERTERS
3-WAY CONVERTERS
PRE-CONVERTERS

???

So this isn't a bolt-on mod at all? I haven't taken a look yet. If a new cat must be welded in place of the stock cat, I suppose the original flange can be preserved for a bolt-on cat-back exhaust, right?

What's the gains potential with a cat replacement? Real HP and torque? I thought someone said they got the "ricer" sound with their cat swapped for a high flow cat and aftermarket muffler. Definitely not cool with an SUV...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Ryd

Thanks Jayson!

I gave Truck Perf. a call to check shipping, and the rep. said that they don't have anymore of the SS JBA's in stock, and the sale price of $371 should have been yanked. But since the price was still on the page, he said he'd honor it. $407, shipped. Not a bad deal for SS.

If anyone else is interested, it might be a good time to head over to their site, or give them a call...http://www.truckperformance.com/vehicle.search/?searchtype=56d&sortorder=DAAAA&urlsubcategory=Exh aust&productcategory=Cat-Back+Systems%2F+Rear+Sections&sf1=TOYOTA&sf2=1997& sf3=4RUNNER&sf4=3.4L (800)719-8100.

Their deal for the aluminized exhaust is pretty good too, $236 + S/H.

These are for '96-'98 3.4L V6 4Runners
Old 02-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Your Welcome, Ryd.

Glad you got it for that price.
Vroom! Vroom!
Old 02-17-2003, 05:25 PM

So if i were to take the custom approach.. where do i buy the 2.5'' tubing? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff..lookin' to learn more as i go on... but for now, i'm ignorant. haha

And thanks for all of your replies.. haven't been around in while to respond though-
Old 02-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Just contact a local muffler shop and have them do the customizing for you. It's not that expensive.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:57 PM

Well, me and my cronies usually like to try and tackle everything ourselves..haha

but...in doing some research tonight... in an attempt to expand my knowledge w/ this exaust stuff.. i became somewhat intrigued by the Borla exaust system.. i saw gadget and a few others had one... tomus, how do you like yours? And also.. are there places where they sell for cheaper than performance products?