Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel System upgrade for S/C 2002 Tacoma 3.4L 6" lift, 35" tires??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel System upgrade for S/C 2002 Tacoma 3.4L 6" lift, 35" tires??

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums and I hope I can get some help.

What I have:
-2002 3.4L Tacoma Xtra Cab
-6" fabtech Lift
-35" Nitos
-S/C Part Number 00602-17620-201 (Black)
-TRD Headers
-TRD exhaust
-4.88 precision gears
-Coolair system

I seem to have a small amount of ping issues depending on the temp/humity incline of hill/road when in 4th and 5th gear as the S/C kicks in.

I would like to add fuel management/upgrade to my truck to get the best performance. I'm leaning towards the URD 7th injector kit, due to the fact that It can be tuned and it comes with the fuel pump ect... with what you know about my truck by looking at the scenario above, what would you guys say would be the best Fuel upgrade scenario for my situation to get the best out of what I already have installed. I want technical answers please. Please dont post that URD is the best!! just because you may have bought it...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jdsharp; 07-18-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The URD 7th Injector kit is the best choice for people who want easy tuning and simple installation and safe tune for their supercharger. The URD 3.4l Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit is a more customizable kit that is a bit more difficult to install and tune, but in theory has a higher "top-end limit" because you have a wider choice of fuel injectors.

Listening to your situation, I would recommend a URD 7th Injector Kit, a wideband oxygen sensor kit for easier tuning, and a 2.2" Supercharger Pulley while you're at it.

If you're curious to learn more about the ins & outs of tuning and why it's done, here are some useful links for you:

TRD Supercharger Wiki Article

Piggyback Fuel/Timing Calibrators Wiki

Oxygen Sensor Calibrators Wiki

Install Writeup for URD 3.4l Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit

Last edited by mastacox; 07-15-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Question

Originally Posted by mastacox
The URD 7th Injector kit is the best choice for people who want easy tuning and simple installation and safe tune for their supercharger. The URD 3.4l Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit is a more customizable kit that is a bit more difficult to install and tune, but in theory has a higher "top-end limit" because you have a wider choice of fuel injectors.

Listening to your situation, I would recommend a URD 7th Injector Kit, a wideband oxygen sensor kit for easier tuning, and a 2.2" Supercharger Pulley while you're at it.

If you're curious to learn more about the ins & outs of tuning and why it's done, here are some useful links for you:

TRD Supercharger Wiki Article

Piggyback Fuel/Timing Calibrators Wiki

Oxygen Sensor Calibrators Wiki

Install Writeup for URD 3.4l Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit
Does the wideband oxygen sensor kit come with the URD 7th injector kit, and what would be the benefit of the 2.2" S/C pully? And finally does it matter that my other injectors are stock?

Last edited by jdsharp; 07-15-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jdsharp
Does the wideband oxygen sensor kit come with the URD 7th injector kit, and what would be the benefit of the 2.2" S/C pully? And finally does it matter that my other injectors are stock?
2.2 pulley means faster spinning charger = more boost, with bigger fuel injectors than stock you can pump in more fuel to have stoichiometric mixture of fuel and air from the extra air the S/C inducts. You don't need bigger injectors, but it allows you to create more power out of your set up.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

The 7th injector kit negates the need for bigger fuel injectors, because you have an EXTRA injector putting fuel into the engine. The installation is straightforward, plugging into a port on the back side of the supercharger.

As for the 2.2" pulley, URD's 7th injector kit puts out enough fuel to allow the use of a smaller pulley, giving more boost and thus more horsepower. Stock pulley is around 6 psi at sea level, the 2.2" pulley lets you put out 8.5-9 psi of boost. Together with the 7th injector kit, 2.2" pulley,and good tune, estimated horsepower at the crank is over 300hp.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM

how many miles you have put on? maybe it's time to service/rebuild the SC.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 AM

Question

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
how many miles you have put on? maybe it's time to service/rebuild the SC.
I've only put about 20K on the SC, when and what is the recommended maintenance on the SC?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Question

Originally Posted by mastacox
The 7th injector kit negates the need for bigger fuel injectors, because you have an EXTRA injector putting fuel into the engine. The installation is straightforward, plugging into a port on the back side of the supercharger.

As for the 2.2" pulley, URD's 7th injector kit puts out enough fuel to allow the use of a smaller pulley, giving more boost and thus more horsepower. Stock pulley is around 6 psi at sea level, the 2.2" pulley lets you put out 8.5-9 psi of boost. Together with the 7th injector kit, 2.2" pulley,and good tune, estimated horsepower at the crank is over 300hp.
By using the 2.2" pulley and 7th injector, does the risk of engine damage greatly increase?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 AM

I've only put about 20K on the SC, when and what is the recommended maintenance on the SC?
I think the units are maintenance free for a long time, except for replacing the belt when it looks like its wearing out.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 AM

That's not too many miles. I changed the oil in mine after a couple of years. I think the recommedation on oil change in the S/C is 100,000. You can get the oil change kit at the dealer. I was glad I changed the oil when I did because there was hardly any that came out.

Here's a few links:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/SuperNose.htm

http://www.brandsport.com/suoilchkibyt.html
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
That's not too many miles. I changed the oil in mine after a couple of years. I think the recommedation on oil change in the S/C is 100,000. You can get the oil change kit at the dealer. I was glad I changed the oil when I did because there was hardly any that came out.

Here's a few links:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/SuperNose.htm

http://www.brandsport.com/suoilchkibyt.html
This is good information to know, thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the wideband oxygen sensor kit come with the URD 7th injector kit?
It doesn't come with it, but they sell them. I'd highly recommend one, without it you'll just be guessing as to the proper ratio.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

By using the 2.2" pulley and 7th injector, does the risk of engine damage greatly increase?
You're at a greater risk of engine damage if you DON'T get a fuel upgrade kit, especially if you have audible ping and/or power loss after a full throttle run.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get the URD 7th and know that everything is good.

I am going to be installing a SC on my truck with the 7th, 2.2" pulley, AEM wideband, headers and a few other goodies as soon as i get my RX7 runing so i have a way to get around.

I am hoping for close to 250hp at the wheels when i am done. The key is tuning, the 7th comes with good maps, but you will still need to tune it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 AM

sounds silly, but you are using 91 octane fuel right? if not this will cause ping as well.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Premium fuel is definitely a must with the supercharger. No getting around it.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We've had a disturbing tread start here in OKC. A local owner of 5 or 6 stations has quit selling premium & midgrade gas because he says no one was buying it with the high prices. So instead they offer 3 types of regular in their 3 tanks, one is a 10% ethanol blend, one is a 5% ethanol blend and the other is 100% gasoline.

This makes me wonder just how old the premium gas is we are buying if everyone else has quit buying it. Plus the ethanol blends are suppost to get old faster than the 100% gas does.

My resent trip across NM I had a hard time finding anything higher than 90 octane.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
My resent trip across NM I had a hard time finding anything higher than 90 octane.
There are some stations here in NM that carry 90 octane as the premium fuel. I'm careful to only fill up at stations that have 91 octane since that's what my timing retard was tuned with. Usually I buy gas at Sam's Club, or sometimes Shell, Chevron, or Conoco.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, that is odd, here i can usually find 93 octane pretty easy. though 91 is becoming more and more popular.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Hmm, that is odd, here i can usually find 93 octane pretty easy. though 91 is becoming more and more popular.
It depends on your altitude. it's quite easy to find 93 octane or higher at sea level, but at about 3000ft asl 91 starts to becomes the standard. Here in the Santa Fe area (6500-7500 ft asl) 91 is in most places, although some stations only carry 90 octane.

Quick Reply: Fuel System upgrade for S/C 2002 Tacoma 3.4L 6" lift, 35" tires??