Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel sender crushed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
ESQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel sender crushed

Question 1: Does anyone have a picture of an intact sender/pump unit?

My tank got a bit crushed by high centering on a rock horn right on the sender/pump assembly. Useless stock skids...

I intend on bending the sender back to shape, but need a pic to compare it to. I also plan on knocking the bottom back out on the tank with the end of a broom handle or some such thing.

My fuel sender now reads between full and 90%, depending on how full it really is.

Question 2: Does ANYONE make a heavy duty skid for the runner tank? I want a budbuilt style one, but he doesn't make 'em for the runners.

Here is the carnage:

Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one makes a heavy duty skid for our trucks.....

Here's my bent unit. Basically its supposed to be straight up and down stock.

I got a good deal on a whole new tank, unit and skid, and just welded on 3/16ths onto the bottom of the skid.

Before:

After:

It's been holding up pretty well to the abuse, but now instead of it crumpling the legs are now bowing out from the abuse.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
ESQ

Looks like you did the same thing I did. Same huge dent in the sender area. Why the hell didn't toyota just enlarge the under seat access so you can swap the sender w/o dropping the tank. Grrrr.

How big a PIA is it to drop the tank? Do I need to disconnect all the hoses or just some house mounts, or can I lower it a bit with the flex in them?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Wasn't that bad to drop, just a few bolts and disconnect the hoses and sending unit.

What i'd suggest you do is get some fuel line hose and clamps, and cut the threaded section out.

I could not remove the threaded section of fuel line from the sending unit to the rest of the 4runner. So i went ahead and just cut it out on both sides and used multiple hose clamps. only 1 of the 3 lines is threaded, the other 2 are super easy to remove.

What toyota should have done is just move the sending unit back 6-8" so its more protected by the links
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM

I've been thru the same same thing and found someone scrapping a 97 runner, I have a 99. The sending unit is different in the two so I swapped them out also. I had to drop the tank again as I discovered that it was diff after swapping tanks. The new skid I welded four strips of 1/4 X 1" angle and is holding up good. Like said before the bracket line is just straight down for the pump. Keep the threaded lines as that is the high pressure line that your fuel is sent thru.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
ESQ

Ok, the sender/pump wasn't crushed. The plastice baffling on the tank floor that surrounds the sender/pump was tilted from the tank floor being rammed up.

I pounded the tank floor flat from the access port and it's back together.

Time to weld some more armour on that skid. I'll also bend some flat bar to beef up the legs.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by ESQ
Ok, the sender/pump wasn't crushed. The plastice baffling on the tank floor that surrounds the sender/pump was tilted from the tank floor being rammed up.

I pounded the tank floor flat from the access port and it's back together.

Time to weld some more armour on that skid. I'll also bend some flat bar to beef up the legs.
I wouldn't beef up the legs.... They'll start going through the frame..... I have one leg that's dented the frame.