YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Fuel Injector Resistance

My truck has had a misfire for a little while now. The miss seems to be pretty constant, and does not seem to be affected by the temperature. The truck has thrown the p0303 (misfire #3 cylinder) code a couple of times, so i think I at least have a specific place to look for the problem. I have read a few posts on here about testing the resistance of the plug wires, the coil packs and the fuel injectors. I'm a real novice when it comes to using a multimeter, so bear with me.

To test a plug wire, I would need to insert the positive and negative test leads into either end of the plug wire and it will give me the resistance (assuming that I have the multimeter on the correct resistance setting)? I know that the problem is not a plug wire in my situation, since the #3 cylinder does not actually have a plug wire. I just want to know for future reference. Now, to test the fuel injector, I would just have to take the connector off of the injector, then touch the test leads to the two prongs sticking out that fit into the connector? How would one test the resistance of the coil pack?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #2

more than likely your problem is a coil. hopefully just a plug. i wouldn't even wory about the injector until i had verified it wasn't a bad coil or plug.

2002 Tundra SR5.

2008 Camry LE.
netwt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

The engine should be cooled down first before checking for resistance on the injectors. With a cool engine, the injectors should read around 14-18 ohms. Anything higher than that means it is faulty. I just went through an entire injector replacement which took a day to complete.

Good luck.
thmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

Well, I pulled the coil of of the #3 cylinder. I still don't know how to use the multimeter to test it, so I didn't. It did look pretty good though. I pulled the #3 plug as well, and it looks like it's in decent shape. I then pulled the connector off of the #3 injector and tested the resistance (I think that I did it correctly) and I got a reading of 21 ohms. I then tested the #1 fuel injector and got 15 ohms, which would lead me to believe that I am testing the injectors correctly. The engine was cold by the way. Would 21 ohms of resistance cause the injector to malfunction? Does this seem like it may be the cause of my misfire?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #5

its out of spec.
thmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to Texas_Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Texas_Ace
Sounds like you found your problem, though while you are doing all of that i would get new wires and plugs all around, for the few bucks it is well worth it to rule all of that out. Injectors get real $$$. But that does sound like your problem.

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Removed URD 7th & Added Coolingmist Meth injection kit, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more

All the Mods that can be done to 3rd Gens Thread

My thoughts on Gun control summed up nice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstud212001 View Post
Guns kill people like spoons make people fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare44 View Post
Im a firm believer in the saying "If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have them"
“Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”
Texas_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

Alright, I'll buy a new injector and see what happens then. Thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #8

You could also swap the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the problem stays in 3 or follows to the new cylinder. If the problem stays in the same cylinder, then you could swap the injector to another cylinder and see if it follows then. I know its tight in there so I'm not sure how much time that would take, but it wouldn't cost anything.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111db View Post
You could also swap the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the problem stays in 3 or follows to the new cylinder. If the problem stays in the same cylinder, then you could swap the injector to another cylinder and see if it follows then. I know its tight in there so I'm not sure how much time that would take, but it wouldn't cost anything.
I could I suppose, but the only problem with that is that the truck has only thrown that code 2 times in the past month. It may be a while before the check engine light comes on again. If the MIL was coming on more often I would definitely try your trick.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1998, 2007, camry, check, checking, correct, fix, fuel, injector, injectors, misfire, multimeter, ohms, resistance, tacoma, toyota, v6