Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Filter, Alternator, Transmission, Reving Loss of Pwr and Bolling Ball In Rear...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter, Alternator, Transmission, Reving Loss of Pwr and Bolling Ball In Rear...

Hey Everyone,
Just a heads up to everyone... I have almost 90k on my 2000 4runner. I bought a new fuel filter from Toyota about 2 months ago, and I just got around to installing it this last week. I was really suprised how much junk back washed out of the thing. It was some brown, rusty, crap, that came flowing back out the filter. I just thought I would recommend changing your fuel filter for those of you that haven't.

My alternator has started making sqealing sound recently. I put a piece of wood up against it, and too my ear when it was running, and it sounds like one the bearings might be starting to go. Does anyone have any experience how many miles I can put on this before the thing quits working all together. They told me at Autozone that they should be getting alternators for these in this spring.

Also, and changed all my fluids, and I replaced the manual transmission flued with mobile 1 synthetic fluid. I've noticed that the stick moves a little more sluggishly through the fluid when its really cold in the mornings. Any thoughts, on why there would be a difference from the fluid Toyota had in it.

I'm also getting a really annoying thinking sounds coming from my rear axle area when I go over some bumps. I no I saw it discussed before, but what was the conclussion as to what was causing this. It sounds like a have a bolling ball thumping up and down in the trunk.

Recently I had been noticing that my rig was loosing power when it got closser to the redline. In the past, I had quite a bit of power in 4th gear at 75-80mphs when I was passing. I noticed that I was getting a really bad lag at times though and the problem was starting to get worse. I replaced my plugs and wires again, and I am happy to say that the problem has gone away.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More and more I think Toyota's quality has gone downhill. Your alternator is only 3 years old and it already has a bad bearing?!?! I really hope that's not the case bit in today's world I can't say that i'd be shocked. Make sure the belt tension is right and that the belt is in good shape.

Manual trannies are always a little stiffer in the cold. Ever put gear oil in the freezer overnight and then try to pump it? Compare that to leaving gear oil in the summer sun in a black bottle for a while. It will be much easier to pump than the frozen stuff. The same idea applies to the shift mechanisms. Its just the nature of gear oil. If its stiff with warm or hot oil you may have a problem. As for the diference between OEM and synth oils, it may have to do with the lubrication properties at the synchronizers. Over-lubrication of the synchros will make them less effective.

The rear end clunk could be lots of things. I'd start with a thourough greasing of the driveshaft. It needs to be able to extend and shorten slightly. Without being greased every so often it will stick and make clunking or thumping noises as it tries to strech and contract with suspension movements.