Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter

I need to be guided to an installation instruction (visual diagrams will be helpful) of the fuel filter.

Where is it located at in my 994runner? I'm thinking about going to pepboys to pickup the part.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
This was helpful to me:
http://www.4runners.org/articles/fuelfilter/
I bought OE-it was the same price as my parts jobber and the jobber didn't stock it.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Found in out very own tech center:

http://www.4runners.org/articles/fuelfilter/

EDIT: Bah! She beat me to it!
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, the article above applies to the 3.4L V6, which we just assumed you have.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deathmage
IWhere is it located at in my 994runner? I'm thinking about going to pepboys to pickup the part.

Why replace it? Is there a problem with it? At work(Toyota dealership) we don't replace nor sell that many fuel filters, especially on rigs from '96 and newer. Plus if you do decide to replace it why install a cheap crappy fuel filter when you can get a factory one for a couple bucks more? No reason to install a lesser part in a sesitive part of the truck...
Old 12-17-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Toyofast
Why replace it? Is there a problem with it? At work(Toyota dealership) we don't replace nor sell that many fuel filters, especially on rigs from '96 and newer. Plus if you do decide to replace it why install a cheap crappy fuel filter when you can get a factory one for a couple bucks more? No reason to install a lesser part in a sesitive part of the truck...
I have about 165k on my car, and just wanna do some maintanence. I'm getting about 15 mpg and would like to improve that too. You don't think there might be some minor clog of some sort from sheer high mileage? I've done the whole 90k tune up at right around 90k.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:33 PM

lol, habanero and dr. gave me the same link. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

While I don't agree with Toyofast's mention of not needing to replace the filter, I do suggest that you get Toyota OEM parts whenever possible.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:23 PM

I know that if you remove or install the filter wrong, like say cross thread the lines while threading them back into the filter, you'll be looking at replacing the entire fuel line.

If you're getting bad mileage, be sure to look at all the other potential areas that might cause it. Tire pressure, type of gas, air filter, spark plugs, timing, injectors flowing correctly, extra accesories adding weight or wind resistance, etc.. Take a look at what you might have done to the rig since the change in gas mileage. Personally I'd rather figure out what is the cause of the problem rather than just guess at it. I see a lot of shops buying parts that they don't need to just because they can't correctly diagnois the real problem(s).
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Deathmage
I have about 165k on my car, and just wanna do some maintanence.

I hate to point this out but..... It's NOT a car. It's a truck, or SUV depending on how you look at it. Calling a 4Runner a car is like calling a Cruiser a Heep... it's just wrong.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to point this out but..... It's NOT a car. It's a truck, or SUV depending on how you look at it. Calling a 4Runner a car is like calling a Cruiser a Heep... it's just wrong.
i think some insurance companies rate the 4Runner like a station wagon. call it whateverTF, if the ins is le$$. the 4runner still kicks
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Agreed!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:00 PM

I had clogged fuel filter @ 165k and it was causing a lean condition and a CEL. Replacing it is not too diffucult and may improve his performance if it is clogged
Old 12-18-2005, 02:19 AM

hmm.. if I don't get a cel, then I shouldn't replace it? any symptoms of a 'slightly' clogged filter?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:24 AM

I'm not a fuel filter expert, but I would think that as long as your OBD2 isn't giving a check engine light and a lean condition code, that your fuel filter is letting through at least as much fuel as your engine needs.

I agree with Toyofast and would look for other more obvious reasons why you're not getting the mileage you think you should... 15mpg isn't THAT bad... changing your mix of city/hwy driving even slightly to the city side would average you down quite a bit.

I wrecked my 99 T4R on Monday and then replaced it with another one yesterday. While I was out of a car, I had a Jeep Liberty rental. I kept playing with the avg fuel mileage feedback -- it has a very cool computer thing -- and noticed that on the hwy, I could average between 16 & 20 depending on how "featherly" I used the gas, but near my house in downtown baltimore, I couldn't get it over 7. Just thought I'd add that insight. Hope it helps.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:22 AM
XPY

4Runner fuel filter

Try this site out lots of good info here and photos

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...6/fuel_filter/
Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Wouldn't the fuel filter getting dirty to the point of restriction potentially cause problems with the fuel pump, bringing on the possibility of a much bigger PITA and $ repair?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is absoultely incorrect to say fuel filters don't need to be changed......try that with the oil and air filters and see how far you get. If you care about the vehicle at all, then it should be replaced at regular intervals to keep the vehicle running well just as you would with other consumeable parts.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:03 PM

thanks for the links and input, all. I believe the gas mileage improved, since I've dump 2 bottle of seafoam (1 each time of fuel refill) in the gas tank and one in the engine. I also replaced the airfilter, which was incredibly dirty, so 15 mpg is actually an improvement from the previous.

dgold- sorry about your loss.. I guess if it's gotten that bad, it would throw a cell
habenero - it prolly throw a cell, if it got to that point.
MTL - +1..

Last edited by Deathmage; 12-18-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM

i was told that you are suppose to change the fuel filter about once a year. usually when cars have idle issues or something like that thats the first thing to change plus its cheap and easy to do.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter