Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fuel economy 7M-GE/3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel economy 7M-GE/3VZE

Okay, I finished my supra swap last week and have driven it for some 1200 miles now. A quik report:
With the 3VZE (with headers and larger exhaust) I could run at highway speeds of 80 miles constant, with a fuel consumptions of 1 liter per 6 kilometers. Sorry no idea what that is in mpg.
With the 7M-GE I can cruise easily at highway speeds of 95 miles with a 15% INCREASE in fuel economy !!!!! And at 80 mph a 25% increase.
For everybody who still drives a 3.0 V6: DUMP IT!! After the swap I've ended up with at least a 54 hp gain and a 25% better fuel economy. The Runner really wants to move now, and I don't have to fill her up every three to four days.
O, and another fact: the torque is better than a V6 and the engine really, really likes to rev. I now can drive up to 50 mph in second gear and 80 mph in third gear while overtaking.
I actually haven't been able to test the max speed yet (I didn't want the wife to ˟˟˟˟ in the passengerseat). Maybe I'll take a trip to Germany tomorrow (No speed limit on the Autobahn) and test it.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

how much did the swap cost?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 PM

Sweet!

I wanna know what Praufet asked about price but more so details on difficulty of the job. I have thought about this very same swap but its only been a dream due to my lack of knowledge on it.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 PM

What kinda engine is the 7M-GE?

Diesel / Gas?
Cylinders...Displacement...etc...

Sorry for the "easy" questions.

Jim
Old 07-01-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7M-GE
Gasloine straight 6 out of a Toyota Supra from 86-92. Dunno diusplacement.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:03 PM

Sounds like the HP might be more, but I have a feeling that the torque is a little less (car vs. truck engine).

Hmm...I'll have to do some more research (this is for my wife's 'Runner BTW).

Jim
Old 07-01-2003, 06:21 PM

Question Wifes Runner?

Your wifes 4Runner? If I put a Supra engine in my 4Runner I would be giving my wife the Supra with the 4Runner engine. Whats she gonna do with a custom 4Runner?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I too am interested in knowing what all is involved in doing this swap. Let us know what all you had to do to make it fit.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2003, 06:32 PM

Haha...actually, I'm the only one complaining about the power of the 3.0L. The 2.7L in my Tacoma is much more powerful....and the 'Runner has 4.88 gears (vs. the 3.58 gears in my Taco). Well, to be completely honest I have a manual transmission in the Taco, and an auto in the 'Runner...so that is a slight advantage.

Anywho, yeah, won't be happening anytime soon...but the rest of the 'Runner is in superb shape, so the engine is the only drawback.

Jim
Old 07-01-2003, 06:34 PM

One of the biggest hurtles with this swap is that it is a very tight fit and you have to go with electric fans and dump the A/C. Someone posted that they have done the swap and kept A/C but there were no pics. The 7m-ge is a good engine but the turbo 7m gte is even more desirable.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

I'll make a list of what parts are needed or what needs to be fabricated. I also have pics of everything, next I'll try to build a website or post the pics.
The 7M-GE is a 24valve 3.0 inline six with DOHC. Originally it produces (in Europe anyway) 204 hp. Max rpm is 6500.
The engine is not that tight of a fit like everyone says. You just cannot use the OEM fan anymore and need to have electric fans.
I'll make some pics today of how it fits.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

We'll I haven't had time to make up a list, but I can inform you that the fuel economy is for real. I have driven another few hundred miles (acually kilometers) in the neighborhood, and must say that even when driving around town, the economy is about 20-25% better than the V6.
The torque of the inline 6 is higher, from bottom to top. Especially top offcourse.
My loaded Runner picks up in 4 or 5th gear from 1500rpm with no problem. The engine runs so smooth and quit that I can hardlly believe it.
I also got my new enginepulley, I had it grinded down and balanced for more space between the pulley and radiator, since I do not have or want AC. This wasn't really necessary though, I just wanted more clearance. Running AC with this swap should be possible, but will require moving the AC pump to the other side, were there is room.
I also made a BIG dent in my oil sump pan. Tackling speed bums with 60 mph was a bit to much for the coil setup in front. The axlehousing made a nice clearing for itsself in the oil pan.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:15 AM

You have coils in front?
Old 07-04-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Victor
You have coils in front?
He has pics on here somewhere.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

about how much would this swap cost for someone to do? total?. im thinkin i want to swap my engine out whenever she decides to die on me
Old 07-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

The swap cost me about 2000-2500 USD. But all depends on what you pay for the parts and how much you can make yourself.
Think about new engine mounts or brackets, a new crossmember, both driveshafts need to be changed, a custom exhaust, a new crossmember, several new cooler and oil hoses and a electric pusher fan. And last but not least, a custombuilt bellhouse if you plan on using a R150F or R151.
A W56 or W58 is a direct bolt on, but considered weak.
The wiring is pretty easy and can be done in a day.

And yes, I have coils in front. Landcruiser 80 series coils on all four corners.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:37 AM

New driveshafts? Do you need to move the tranny? I thought this was more a bolt in than that.

I have an auto tranny. Ironically, the A340 in the 4Runner seems to be the same one in the Supra with an auto. To mate the 7M-GTE to the Runner auto trans, all you need is the Supra auto bellhousing. Or so I've read.

I'm curious to see more picks of the engine fitment and also your coil SAS. I've had thoughts of a coilover SAS for mine someday.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Since the engine is much longer it should be mounted as far back as possible. In my setup with the R150 I was able to move the gearbox back about 4 inches. So the rear driveshaft is 4 inches too long and the front driveshaft 4 inches too short.
This can be different if you use a W style gearbox, but regarding the length of the engine, I guess you allways need to do this.
So all attachment points of the engine and gearbox need to be fabricated or moved. This actually wasn't much work if you have the proper tools (and knowledge).

You'r probably right about the autotranny, I have had several bellhousing at hand while I was experimenting, and found that the W series manual can be used with a supra 7M-GE bellhouse.
The 7M-GTE bellhouse is too long for a R style gearbox like a R150F or R151. It needs to be shortened or a new hybrid needs to be fabricated. I did the last.

What kind of pics do you want? I'll can make some now.

As my runner is working properly now, I still have some bad luck hangin' over me. I'm gone receive my companycar next week (a f.....g Ford), so it looks like the Runner is gone be the wife's car!:pat:
Damn. Did I do this all so she can have fun!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Cebby
New driveshafts? Do you need to move the tranny? I thought this was more a bolt in than that.

I have an auto tranny. Ironically, the A340 in the 4Runner seems to be the same one in the Supra with an auto. To mate the 7M-GTE to the Runner auto trans, all you need is the Supra auto bellhousing. Or so I've read.

I'm curious to see more picks of the engine fitment and also your coil SAS. I've had thoughts of a coilover SAS for mine someday.
It all depends on what you do with your truck. If you 4x4 it, and you want clearance, you will want to move the motor back, and as high as you can get. If you use it for street, and don't want to make driveline mods, and don't care about the drivetrain stuff haging down, you can use your stock drivelines and crossmember. You won't have as much room for the radiator, but you will have more room for your brake booster and egr valve. I just made custom EGR valve piping, and dropped in a low profile brake booster.

As for the A/C, in the swaps I do, I bolt on a 1/2" thick plate between the frame, and the power steering gearbox. You will have to move your pitman arm over a few notches to keep your steering wheel at 12 o'clock. The 1/2 plate, will allow you just enough clearance to mount your A/C pump in stock 7M location. I still might take a grinder to the gearbox and shave just a little off the side. Pretty close tolerances.

Currently, I am working on 4 truck swap, all have to be done by the beginning of next month. One is for myself, 2wd 7MGTE(my drag truck), another is for a friend's wife's 4runner, who rectnely blew the 22R motor. Another is a guy in Cali, he will be here next week to drop off his truck. And then an older 83 pickup that I am helping a friend do. I may be doing another, but the guy isn't sure yet. It will be another 4wd auto conversion, I have done 2 of those so far.

After this month, I will have done a total of 10 7M motor conversion. I highly recommend this swap.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:51 PM

smog

i am going to do the supra swap to a 91 pickup 2wd. it has a 22re. it will be daily driver. will it pass smog and how do i work with the refere to get it changed to a inline 6.

Quick Reply: fuel economy 7M-GE/3VZE