Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front tires/wheels dont pull hard enough with 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front tires/wheels dont pull hard enough with 4x4?

I took my yota (3rz) into some serious offroad for the first time today. I got into some pretty hairy terrain and had the back tire spinning (i have no locker). anywho, to make a long story short, it seemed as if my front tires/wheels wernt really helping me out any. shouldnt they be at least pulling me through some of this? would it have helped if i used 4LO?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by baileymoto
I took my yota (3rz) into some serious offroad for the first time today. I got into some pretty hairy terrain and had the back tire spinning (i have no locker). anywho, to make a long story short, it seemed as if my front tires/wheels wernt really helping me out any. shouldnt they be at least pulling me through some of this? would it have helped if i used 4LO?
Maybe your 4wd wasnt working. How much psi did you have in your tires? Do you have an automatic or manual trans.? What was the terrain like?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
Maybe your 4wd wasnt working. How much psi did you have in your tires? Do you have an automatic or manual trans.? What was the terrain like?

manual hubs, 4x4 was working before and after that spot. the terrain was loose dirt/gravel going up on a hill. my front tires were over a little hump and i was very close to high centering. i had moderate flex with my rear left tire spinning. i have all terrain 265 tires (stock size). my yota is completely stock. i dont know the exact PSI, but its at or around the suggested pressure (i didnt air down).
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM

If you were actually in 4wd then then one of your front tires would have had to be spinning as well or they should have pulled even if one of the rears was spinning. With open lockers if one front and one rear are spinning you aren't going anywhere. If you were resting on your t-case cross member then it is really easy to unweight the front tires enough that they both just spin and don't bit. If both front tires are getting traction it will either pull you out or stall (w/ a manual anyway). If you aren't moving and the rear is spinning and neither of the fronts are, then there is something wrong and 4wd isn't working.

Last edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93; 05-19-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by baileymoto
manual hubs, 4x4 was working before and after that spot. the terrain was loose dirt/gravel going up on a hill. my front tires were over a little hump and i was very close to high centering. i had moderate flex with my rear left tire spinning. i have all terrain 265 tires (stock size). my yota is completely stock. i dont know the exact PSI, but its at or around the suggested pressure (i didnt air down).
Well I personally would be quick to blame the issue on to much psi in the tires & the loose terrain. Buy a $10 aircompressor and $2 tire guage. It makes wheeling a lot funner when there is less of a struggle. Guessing your running around 30 psi in those tires. try airing down to 20 psi for starters and see how it handles up there. If you still have issues with climbing try airing down more. Even with 35 inch TXR's, 5.29 gearing, and a rear locker I have small issues on certain trails. Airing down makes the game worth playing!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Poor A$$ Stock '93
If you were actually in 4wd then then one of your front tires would have had to be spinning as well or they should have pulled even if one of the rears was spinning. With open lockers if one front and one rear are spinning you aren't going anywhere. In 4wd if both front tires are getting traction it will either pull you out or stall, one of the two. If it is stalling then using 4lo will reduce the speed that the wheels turn and increase effective torque to the wheels and will provide more pulling power over 4hi at the cost of reduced maximum speed. If you aren't moving and the rear is spinning and neither of the fronts are, then there is something wrong and 4wd isn't working.

perhaps I am wrong and one of my front tires was spinning. what would be an effective way to diagnose a problem with my 4x4? any easy/nifty tricks? my truck is still under warrenty so anything wrong could be fixed. i know 4wd 'works' because I can tell a huge difference in driving up gravel trails. could 4wd be 'failing' in extremely demanding conditions though? is that possible?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, airing down makes a big difference. plus, sometimes you just gotta to accept you're not going to make it. around here, so cal, some hills are just really really loose dirt and an open diff 4wd ain't gonna make it. even a locked one will have trouble.

your best bet right now for the tough stuff, is to air down, go 4lo, and pick a good line.

too much wheelspin can cause problems.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:58 PM

any suggestions on what kind of locker to look into buying? how are eaton elockers? i found one for $325, is that a decent deal? (30 spline)

Last edited by baileymoto; 05-20-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:11 AM

This may help in locker shopping

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=eaton+elocker