Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front Taco Coil Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Taco Coil Springs

What is the difference between the 4cyl non-trd and 6cyl non-trd coils. 1998 model year specifically. I have a 1998 4cy taco and got a chance to pick up a set of 98 v6 strut assemblies for 25 bucks. I figured it would be easier to design and install lift spacers on an extra set not on the truck. So tell me, any difference between the two?

Also, I would love to make a frankenstien front end for the taco but I am wheeling on a budget, and I do mean budget. That is why I am going to make my own spacers. Can't afford all the fancy stuff. Nice having a dad that has a pretty loaded backyard shop with all the toys esp a mill and a lathe.

Another thing - when using spacers on the coils, a 1in spacer in the coil pack = 2 in of lift? What about a spacer above the coil pack? What is the ratio there? I am only looking to make about a 2in lift and get the 3rd in from a 1in body lift. Of course homemade shackles for the rear.
Sorry for the book and all the questions at once.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 AM

The difference between 4 and 6 cylinder coils on Tacomas is the spring rate. Something like 480 and 640 or there abouts. I really can't recall the spring rates. I use 6 cyl. coils on my 4cyl. No real lift, just a bit stiffer. As far as diffferences between the two regarding fabbin' the spacers...no difference.

I'v also made my own spacers. Several differeant ways of doin't it. I would suggest you pick up that second set of strut assys. and use those for mockin' up purposes. If your spacers are on top of the stock top plate, it will yield double lift. If you make ones that install under or replace the stock top plate, it depends on how you make them as to how much lift they'll yield. You'll see what I mean when you start turning some.

Lucky guy to have access to a lathe and mill. That's 2 years out for me. I can't wait to have em in the garage!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else? Bueller, Bueller, Schaefer????
I know somebody else knows about coil spring spacers. I know mr schaefer knows about spacers.

What I really want to know now is what type of spacer will work best with the stock struts and springs. Spacer on top, spacer in the pack or a combo of both worlds. I have the capability of making any of the above. I just need to know what works(tried and true) and what doesn't. I would like at least 2 inches of lift. I would like to know how to keep the most down-travel and also keep a decent ride. I figure I will get the 3rd inch from a body lift.

I don't have the money to afford bils or ome so don't tell me to ditch the stock and get them. I want something that works now with what I have.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 88toy4x4; 09-19-2004 at 07:35 PM.