Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front sway bar bushings trashed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front sway bar bushings trashed!

I recently noticed that my front sway bar bushings are trashed. Both are almost totally split in half. Is this common to all 3rd gens or did it happen because of my suspension lift?
Old 12-21-2003, 09:16 PM

Mine are pretty much exploded too. Good excuse to get a new sway-bar, disco's and ES bushings if you ask me....But that may just be me.....
Old 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

the stock sway bar end links will go to hell after a lift. several people report them busting in half, im sure everyone's bushings wear out fast.

the end links need to be raised the height the suspension is raised, otherwise too much stress on the end links.

theres your excuse to get swaybar discos designed for the amount of lift you have.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RTdawgs
the stock sway bar end links will go to hell after a lift. several people report them busting in half, im sure everyone's bushings wear out fast. the end links need to be raised the height the suspension is raised, otherwise too much stress on the end links. theres your excuse to get swaybar discos designed for the amount of lift you have.
I already have Lars' extended discos, so I need to use this as an excuse to get something else. Maybe an engel freezer fridge or a pull-pal?

The bushings I'm talking about are the ones where the sway bar connects to the frame. Part #15 in this pic:
Old 12-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

oh ok.

maybe youre tightening your discos too much, or not enough. maybe its just time to replace them?

bump for someone whos had this prob.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RTdawgs
maybe youre tightening your discos too much, or not enough. maybe its just time to replace them?
Thanks for the bump and the chance to clarify. My sway bar end link bushings are fine. It's the other sway bar bushings that connect the sway bar to the cross member that are trashed.

Any body else have problems with these sway-bar to cross-member bushings splitting in half?
Old 12-23-2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by transalper
Thanks for the bump and the chance to clarify. My sway bar end link bushings are fine. It's the other sway bar bushings that connect the sway bar to the cross member that are trashed.

Any body else have problems with these sway-bar to cross-member bushings splitting in half?
Are you talking about the bushings located in the middle of the chassis where the sway-bar crosses the frame? I have just noiticed my passenger side is completley split and needs to be replaced. I don't have any lift either. Anyone know how to replace these?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Runner4
Are you talking about the bushings located in the middle of the chassis where the sway-bar crosses the frame? I have just noiticed my passenger side is completley split and needs to be replaced. I don't have any lift either. Anyone know how to replace these?
Yup, those are the ones. It's interesting that yours split as well. I suspect this is a common problem.

Replacing them looks pretty straight forward, but I haven't done it yet. I do have the part in hand. It's called a "Front suspension, Stabilizer bar, Bushings, BUSHINGS, 4-Runner - 4WD COIL SPRING" on partznet.com and costs around $6. I'll do at as soon as I can find a dry driveway on a warm day.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by transalper
Yup, those are the ones. It's interesting that yours split as well. I suspect this is a common problem.

Replacing them looks pretty straight forward, but I haven't done it yet. I do have the part in hand. It's called a "Front suspension, Stabilizer bar, Bushings, BUSHINGS, 4-Runner - 4WD COIL SPRING" on partznet.com and costs around $6. I'll do at as soon as I can find a dry driveway on a warm day.
Have you experienced any noises while turning as I have explained in this thread: Popping Noise

that may be caused by the busted bushings?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Runner4
Have you experienced any noises while turning as I have explained in this thread: Popping Noise that may be caused by the busted bushings?
No popping noise. I did have some annoying suspension squeaks and I noticed the split sway bar bushings while I was spraying lithium on all the front suspension components. The lithium took care of the squeaks.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When Dr. Z, RidgeRunner and I were lifting my truck a few weeks ago, I noticed that my front swaybar bushing were trashed. The passenger side was torn in half and basically not doing anything.

I ordered up a set of greasable Energy Suspension bushing from Sumit racing, put them on about a week ago.

There are various related words in these threads:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=20770

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9960
Old 12-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
When Dr. Z, RidgeRunner and I were lifting my truck a few weeks ago, I noticed that my front swaybar bushing were trashed. The passenger side was torn in half and basically not doing anything.
I ordered up a set of greasable Energy Suspension bushing from Sumit racing, put them on about a week ago.
There are various related words in these threads:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=20770
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9960
Thanks for the links. I will definitely try out the greasable bushings.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:48 AM

my fronts were split in the same place. i just ordered me a set from energy suspension.