Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Sway Bar

Hey all, I was wondering how bad of an idea it would be to remove the front sway bar? Most of my bushings are shot and I really don't feel like rbeuilding it all, I was wondering would the truck ride ok if Ijust pulled it all out?

I use the truck mainly as a daily driver to and from work about 50/50 highway and city. I wheel it on the weekends sometimes. Was wondering what you guys think about this idea?

Also, a pic of the truck with LX wheels, has been a while since I posted here:

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it off and see how it feels. or just replace the bushings and see how it feels
on the torsion bar ifs trucks stock there is only like 3/4 inch of uptravel until it hits the bump stops. on those there is no difference to the feel with the bar removed.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM

It makes the body roll a lot more on corners, but that said, I have both my front and rear sways removed and I like the way it feels. Mine is not a DD though and keep in mind.. if you try to swerve and avoid something at 60 or 70 mph, no sway bar could cause you to crash if you're not used to it because it pitches the front a lot more. The best thing is to take it off and try it, it's just one of those things you have to feel and decide for yourself. It will give you about an inch or so more upward travel off road and that makes a difference with traction.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ya ive got no rear sway bar but with them soft rear lc coils im thinking about putting it back on
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM

I just added the new bushings from the wheelers offroad sway kit to replace my old ones that were starting to warp/crack - its only ~25 bucks for new bushings and some useless new front bumpstops, but even after just driving around town, it firms up the front. I wouldnt want to personally run an IFS with no sway bar...
Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM

My front sway bar has been disconnected since I bought it because the links had completely rusted out. I feel fine driving every day (long commute). I will probably eventually replace it, but I don't really feel a need to.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on a 3rd gen with coils all around it might be a bit tippy and unstable at high speed. i ran with out one on my old ifs with t bars and it was ok but i have ridden in a third gen without any and i can tell you its a lot worse in a 3rd gen. just throw some new bushingsd under there and be done with it
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM

I can get away without sway bars on road a little easier too because I have OME heavy coils that don't compress nearly as easy as stock coils.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if take a right to pull out and i get on it too hard my front tire lifts off the ground cant be too safe lol
Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM

I've had my front sway bar off for a while. I have OME medium coils. It took some getting used to, and honestly made me really nervous the first day on the highway at 70 mph. My lowered '96 Mustang Cobra had no front sway bar, so I figured this would be similar... Not sure why I would have assumed that...

I've been wheeling without it, and I can honestly say that I do not believe that it made a bit of difference off road in terms of travel or articulation. It will be going back on very soon.

-Dan
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by danimal92sport
I've been wheeling without it, and I can honestly say that I do not believe that it made a bit of difference off road in terms of travel or articulation. It will be going back on very soon.

-Dan
Travel is increased and the suspension flexes easier. My tires are on the ground a little more because of it. But it does kinda suck on road. Discos are a nice thing to have for a DD.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM

real simple. Sway-bars are like condoms. Its safer with it on, but it feels way better with it off
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
real simple. Sway-bars are like condoms. Its safer with it on, but it feels way better with it off
LOL! Nice analogy.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Yes, thank you! Sig updated...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Was wondering what you guys think about this idea?
You should care more what NJ thinks about it.
1. You will not pass state safety inspection if your vehicle came with a sway bar and it's missing
2. If you get into any kind of accident, driving a vehicle which should not be on the road according to the law, will certainly not help you with making insurance claims or lowering your liability in court
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
You should care more what NJ thinks about it.
1. You will not pass state safety inspection if your vehicle came with a sway bar and it's missing
2. If you get into any kind of accident, driving a vehicle which should not be on the road according to the law, will certainly not help you with making insurance claims or lowering your liability in court
1. Inspection consists of testing the exhaust fumes, that's it. NJ just switched to that in August. *see link below*
2. As long as it passes inspection (exhaust) you're golden.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ts_mechan.html
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM

I got into a accident in my second gen with the ABS fuse out, and both sway bars off, both cars were totaled. And it was 0% my fault. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
1. Inspection consists of testing the exhaust fumes, that's it. NJ just switched to that in August. *see link below*
2. As long as it passes inspection (exhaust) you're golden.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ts_mechan.html
I'm really sorry to hear New Jersey took a step back away from all other civilized societies.

Watch people drive on bald tires and hydroplaning everywhere this winter.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Took mine off and kept it in the garage, thinking maybe I'd want to reconnect it or set up some quick disconnects. Now it's headed for the trash. I personally haven't had any problems taking it around turns or avoiding obstacles on the freeway. It's a truck, not a racecar. And offroad, it definitely does help. The front's a little softer goin fast over dirt (comfier ride) and it flexes better in the rocks. Every quarter inch helps.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
I'm really sorry to hear New Jersey took a step back away from all other civilized societies.

Watch people drive on bald tires and hydroplaning everywhere this winter.
They had already stopped doing a lot of the tests they did years ago. The old lanes had amazing hydraulic machines that measured stopping force of each wheel, and others that flexed the suspension and steering--basically checked alignment of every car, and also headlight alignment. But they all were ancient and broke all the time so they had dumbed down the safety part to almost nothing anyway. At least, if we have no CEL on, we are now pretty much guaranteed a pass...and plastic Jesus can reclaim his place on NJ dashboards (not allowed).

I predict that, in a few years, our cars will log themselves on to the State computer by universal wi-fi once a week (on the road or not) and a fail will get you an e-mail notice requiring a fix by X date.

But there is still a lot of the country that has no inspection at all (29 states, I think). Of course, that may be in the parts you don't consider 'civilized'....

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-28-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar