Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front Seat Extension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Seat Extension?

Ive looked around, but cant find any posts to see who has modded their front seats in 3rd gen 4runners so they slide back further. Im 6'6" and need more leg room - any ideas as to how i can slide the front seats further back???
Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Never heard of anyone on here modifying their seats that way, but there must be a way to do it those NBA stars must have to modify the seats on some of the cars they drive.
The problem is the seat tracks are designed to meet crash tolerances and so on so you can't really do just anything... what you'd have to do would be to pull the seat out and separate the seat from the track... as long as you don't have power seats it's easier then it sounds just a couple of bolts/pins if I remember right...
then you'd either have to get some metal with the same profile as the track drill holes to match the spacing on the original and cut it say 4" longer then you'd cut off and weld on the front and rear mounts the same distance as the original.
Or go to the scrapyard and pull the seat tracks of a truck/runner seat there. Cut them and use those to extend the rear of the track... make sure you keep the same hole spacing and I'd add a gusset or bracket from the end of the extension back to the rear seat mount to carry the weight and stabilize the extension.
Kind of like this

Seat track------ ---------- seat track extension
^^^^^^^^^^ I ^^^^ /
seat mount ^^ I ^^^ / bracket
^^^^^^^^^^ I__ __/

ignore the ^^ just used for spacing to keep the "sketch" aligned. Pretty poor IK but it should give you the idea

Have a professional welder do the welding work it must be clean and free of any imperfections in the weld so the seat will move freely and also be strong enough to hold together in a crash situation.
Be aware that getting the rear attachment bolt in may be a PITA after you put the extension on you'd have to check clearances... you may have to use a shorter bolt ... if so you need to make sure you use 10.9 grade for strength for the application the more common 8.8 won't cut it.

Last edited by aviator; 12-11-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
LK1

I did it on my second gen by cutting the feet off the track then bolting them to a piece of flat stainless bar 1/4" thick by 1" wide. I then bolted the seat back about 6 inches.

The only issue was the steering wheel was too far away but it did work.

When you cut the feet off the seat track take your time, I got sloppy on one and had to have it welded.