Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front-end vibration while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front-end vibration while braking

I have a 2000 4runner, and the front-end seems to shake some bit under normal braking. The steering seems fine, its just the shaking sensation that bothers me.

What can be the problem? Bad front-end alignment?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

warped rotors,

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...=&brand=Brembo
Old 10-02-2005, 06:28 PM

Like bent rotors? They seem fine to me, but thats just the braking surface i'm looking at.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fo_runner
Like bent rotors? They seem fine to me, but thats just the braking surface i'm looking at.
its impossible to see it without a machine. You could always get them turned @ $10 a pop. But they are junk anyways. I have the brembos and love them. no warping at all! do a search for rotors, many people agree

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=rotors

Last edited by Localmotion; 10-02-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:57 PM

Since my rotors are warped, and I would need new ones, i'm thinking of getting slotted powerslot rotors. Brembos are hard to find down here.

Are there any differences between slotted Powerslot rotors, and slotted Brembo rotors?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fo_runner
Since my rotors are warped, and I would need new ones, i'm thinking of getting slotted powerslot rotors. Brembos are hard to find down here.

Are there any differences between slotted Powerslot rotors, and slotted Brembo rotors?
not sure. I got my brembos off of tirerack. They were the best place (most reputable) to buy them from. A lot of places buy brembo flats and do the slotting and drilling themselves, which i personally dont trust(anal) Brembos in my opinion are superior to all
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

I would agree with the warp rotors. If you are interested in slotted I would check www.gadgetonline.com then click "My 4Runner", he put a set on his 4runner and he was really impressed with them. I personally dont feel the need for slotted on an SUV unless have it "soaped" up quite a bit and drive it really hard, but thats my personal opinion.

Regardless If I were you I would either have you current rotors machined by a shop if they think there is enough life left in them. Get a good set of pads. Also check/replace/adjust the rear brakes accordingly.

Worn rear brakes can give a false alarm of warped rotors, or even more likely will warp the front rotors. This happens if all the braking is being done in the front due to worn rear brakes, it will overheat the front rotors and they will warp.

I believe gadget used Power Slot gas slotted rotors by Performance Products. But you'll have to check out his site to be certain.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

I had a 97 4X4 and a 94 4X4 4runners. Both QUICKLY warpted the front rotors developing the vibrations.....After getting a set turned and put back on only to have them rewarped withing 4 months . I decided to replace with the Brembo from tirerack.com and there is a world of diff.....As far as slotted/crossdrilled rotors, thats kind of overkill, unless you plan on attending some track days,etc....the slots/crossdrilling enable the rotor and brake pad surface to remain cooler under heavy operation - reducing fade......but, to sum up - new brake rotors are deff. the way to go.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

My two cents is if you're gonna change the rotors, go for the slotted. This is what I did and I'm very happy. I would also suggest as others above have, only buy slotted or cross drilled if they came manufactured that way. Don't trust others to slot or cross drill your rotors. This is why I went with Brembo. The power slots are nice but if I'm correct, they are pretty pricey.