Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front end squeak after Tundra/OME lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end squeak after Tundra/OME lift

Rig has been solid for 10k miles or so but now I am getting a high-pitched squeak from the front passenger side. I can duplicate by hitting the tire. It's not something that happens over bumps really, just normal driving conditions, pretty much a constant noise. I can't hear it over bigger bumps only when just driving down the road.

I had my buddy at the dealer look at it and he thought it was somewhere between the top-out spacers and top plate of the suspension assembly, I haven't torn it apart yet but I sprayed some silicone and white grease on the entire top part of the suspension and it hasn't helped at all.

Anybody have any ideas? Just normal noise between all the plastic sittin on top of eachother?

Thanks guys,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 04-06-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 PM

it sounds like the grease in the bushings is gone so there is some squeaking....are there any zert fittings you could use to grease it up if not it sounds like you are going to have to take it apart and use some teflon grease (thats what i use and it helps out a lot) its better to fork out the extra money and get some good grease
Old 04-07-2006, 07:49 AM

Do you have disconnects?

Mine squeak when I rock the truck back and forth from the side.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

mine squeak more than anything!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 AM

mine squeek and clunk also. i can feel it from the floorboard.
I replaced: upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, steering rack and endlinks, as well as the lift. and had it aligned. it sounds to me like the swaybar is making the noise, but i have everything tightened, and have sprayed stuff on the bushings and it has made no difference, do i need to pull the LCA alignment bolts out and grease them? there is no grease fitting and they were dry as a bone when i pulle dit apart, no signs of ever been greased.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the HDPE top spacers are "self lubricating" - basically means that they shouldn't squeek when in contact with metal.

have you checked the top nut in the center of the strut for how tight it is? alot of shops will only compress the coil enough to get that nut on, then when you put the assembly on the vehicle, the weight compresses the coil more and then you can see that the top nut is loose.

if it is loose, it will "clunk" when you go over small bumps or cycle the syspension.

to tighten it, you will need a pair (two sets) of cresent wrenches or a crescent wrench and a box/open end wrench. you have to hold the top stud still while you tighten the nut.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 AM

i had a front end squeek due to the coil rubbing on the strut assembly tower thingy. Yeah...... I just basically lubed it up and it doesn't make any noise.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:36 PM

i just installed the spacer today, same noise before and after. im pretty sure its the swaybar, im going to have to break loose the rusted bolts to pull it off though.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like it may not be the nut because there isn't a clunk, just a squeak that seems to be getting louder and more annoying each day, lol.

I will check the nut and if that isn't it then I guess it may need to be pulled apart and checked out...if I have it apart what all should I do? I guess just putting some grease between everything might help and atleast let me see if thats even the problem...if that doesn't solve it then it must be something else.

My buddies up at my dealership are really good at finding these things so if I have no luck, I may surrender and hand it over to them.

Sound like the right thing to do?

Fink
Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

I am going to the dealership this week to have the squeak looked at, should I have them put some grease in between the spacers?

Not sure what else there is to do about it, I sprayed some grease into the assembly near the spacers but that didn't do jack.

Any ideas on what to check? I looked myself to see if all the bolts were tight and they were so thats not an issue.

Anything you guys think needs to be checked will get checked, this noise is driving me nuts!

Thanks fellas,

Fink
Old 05-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is the sway bar bushings.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Any luck fink??? my OEM setup has started squeeking too... just wondering if they had any luck before I start tearing mine apart....
Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 PM

i got rid of my clunk, but there is still a low frequency squeek, not really a squeek sound, hard to describe in words. Low frequency "squeek" i guess... any updates on this? I have a feeling it is my LCA and UCA bushings, that I installe dry, no lube when i pulle dhtem apart, so i put it back with no lube. No sign of lube ever being their either.
only makes the noise on speed humps. havent noticed it when pulling into driveways, and at higher speeds, it is not loud enough to hear over wind noise and stuff.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
the HDPE top spacers are "self lubricating" - basically means that they shouldn't squeek when in contact with metal.

have you checked the top nut in the center of the strut for how tight it is? alot of shops will only compress the coil enough to get that nut on, then when you put the assembly on the vehicle, the weight compresses the coil more and then you can see that the top nut is loose.

if it is loose, it will "clunk" when you go over small bumps or cycle the syspension.

to tighten it, you will need a pair (two sets) of cresent wrenches or a crescent wrench and a box/open end wrench. you have to hold the top stud still while you tighten the nut.
This has been the problem for me and doing exactly what Andy says has worked for me.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take a look at it when I get back in town, I'm hoping it's just something as simple as the center nut.

I will let you all know when I get it diagnosed.

Thanks again for the help,

Fink
Old 05-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

mine is a constant squeek... it is not clunking.... high pitched... NOT A BRAKE SQUEELER!!!!! ( I know that sombody will ask me that ) like metal rubbing back and forth on metal.... am going to pull the skid plate and re-drive it...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Exact same problem here Bob, as long as I'm going over 3mph it's squeaking...not any worse or any better over big bumps.

I will check it out some more when I get home, let me know if you find anything.

Fink
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM

CV's or wheel berings perhaps?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

looks like my skid plate was rubbing my front diffbolts after the diff drop..... I have taken my skid plate off for now... will get a better chance this week to drive it and see if that fixed it...

Will keep you all in the loop...

Cheers
Bob
Old 05-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

OK... was not skid plate ( dang it ) ... so tonight whlie getting out my wife grabbed the top of the door jam with the door open and rocked the truck back and forth.... sure enough the squeek was there.... and sure enough its coming right from the top nut on the coil.....

Andy... you are the man..... hand the man an award!!!!!! I had that coil good and compressed with a wall mounted compressor and tightened them what I thought was good..... guess not huh.....

Will go tighten and update.... hope this helps you fink...

Cheers
Bob

Quick Reply: Front end squeak after Tundra/OME lift