Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front End Noise

Ever since my rod end broke on my swaybar (promptly replaced - drove no more than .25 miles with one side connected) I've been experiencing alot of racket under the front end. I've tightened up everything on the sway bar where I thought the problem was eminating from. Still the racket. It should be mentioned that I have quick discos - and have had them on trouble free for about 4-5 months. This is a new development.

I'm having a tough time duplicating the conditions that make this thing ping. That's right, it almost sounds like flicking your finger against an old-time metal oil can. If I swerve back and forth, it rarely makes the noise (steering feels nice and tight, BTW). If the road is rough, it doesn't always make the noise. After a swerve - after the vehicle has stopped any swaying - sometimes I'll get one or two or even three "pings". Almost like something is loading up and releasing energy. Also, hubs locked and unlocked, 4WD and 2WD have no bearing.

Could this be related to my swaybar rod ends still or maybe the links to the A-arms? The pinging comes from both the right and left sides of the suspension and there seems to be no pattern to it. My next step is to remove the swaybar to see if the sound goes away.

Anyone have an idea what this could be?
Old 02-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about the swaybars but I have noticed more front-end noise as of late as well...mostly when driving over a series of small bumps. When I drive across our property I notice it a lot...almost sounds like something is not completely tightened or attached properly. Nobody else seems to notice it so it may just be me overreacting about my baby

Fink
Old 02-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

I'm no expert but it could be the discos settling in. Remember they are not a solid piece of metal and could possbly be making some noise. I'm sorry I can't be more help but I though I would take a stab since not that many others are. Good luck Mike!

Jonathan
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 AM

We'll see how having the disco pins pulled make it react. Last resort is taking it to the shop.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM

Well when I was pulling the pins on the discos, I discovered the rod end I had just put on (replaceing the broken one) was flopping around in the hole. Damn Nyloc nuts don't hold worth a crap - even had thread locker on them! TIme for the industrial red thread locker (been using the milky blue stuff) and jam nuts!!

I need to pop the pins back in before I know for sure that was the issue, but I'm pretty sure it was. I really need to clean out my garage so I can get my Runner in there... :pat:
Old 02-09-2004, 03:19 PM

i made some discos myself for the 4runner and i notice that sound you describe every once and a while. i think it has something to do with the sway bar not being properly centered because the endlinks arent the factory ones.

look at where the swaybar makes a 90 deg turn from the frame bracket to the endlink...........it just clears the part of the a-arm where the bumpstop is (at least on my rig it does).

i think that every once and while the swaybar shifts ever so slighty to one side or the other enough to clip the edge of the a-arm bumpstop and make that noise that you described

(jsut my theory anyway).........im not worried cause i know otherwise the thing is bolted on there good and tight (its worked for about 5 months with no issues so far)