Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front end noise

Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end noise

Just picked up a 1997 4runner limited, it has a noise up front that I am guessing is either the CV joints or the wheel bearings. It is a constant noise that gets quieter when I coast and happens at all speeds. I feel no vibration (although I have mud terrain tires on it) it rides and steers great, track is straight it just has the noise, I would categorize the noise as grinding/friction. Could it also be brake related? It is lifted, it does not have the front differential drop installed but I have ordered one to install as soon as it gets here. Any ideas would be appreciated, I have spent the last few days researching and searching the forums and every noise the other posts have aren't exactly like mine.

Thanks in advance

Gary
Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check your wheel bearings by jacking up a tire and spinning it to see if you can hear it grind and also grab it, shake it, and see if the tire wobbles. CVs usually make a popping noise when they are bad. I would clean the brakes out too.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM

I jacked up the front end (one side at a time) grabbed the wheel tried to move side to side, up and down etc...nothing, no movement. the CV's are making a slight clicking noise when the tire is rotated forward and backward, where my wifes FJ only makes a slight clicking noise going backwards, quiet moving forward. The clicking however is not what I'm hearing when I'm driving it. I'm thinking it may be the brake shield or the brakes. When I take the wheel off and rotate the hub it has tight spots. And for some reason it's worse when its colder out? I'm at a loss!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 AM

still at a loss here! the noise gets louder under acceleration. I had someone else look at it and see what they could find but everything up front seems to be okay. Could someone describe what it would sound like if a U joint was going bad?

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 AM

More than likely not the u-joints as I have been told the cardan/u-joints have an extremely low failure rate. You'd have a noticable vibration too. If it is though, you might hear a clunk when you accelerate from a stop or feel play in the driveline when you try to move it side to side.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like bearings of some kind to me, possiblty diff.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
It sounds like bearings of some kind to me, possiblty diff.

I think you are correct, everything has been inspected up front and is fine. I just bought this a week ago, I thought I looked it over good but I guess not. Question, is there supposed to be a cross support under the transfer case? if so, mine is not there.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Update~Sort of!

Well, I've inspected everything but the transfer case bearings and having owned and driven the 4runner for a longer period now I can't tell if it's coming from the front or rear or underneath! I'm going to pull the rear driveshaft and drive it around in 4hi and see if it's still there. It honestly sounds like something rubbing on the brake sheild but when the front end is jacked up and the tire is rotated I hear something but not what it sounds like when I'm driving, also the front CV's make a real noticable clicking sound now. I'm going to dig into the front hub when I eventually get some time and check all that out, I've had 2 mechanics look at it and say they can't find what's wrong but both have heard it. As always and ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Ty

Hey gary, i have this same problem! I just bought and repacked new bearings, and the sound is still there! It is consistent with the vehicle speed like yours. I am at a loss on what this can be. It is definitely coming from the front, almost like the transmission. I checked the transmission(5spd) and i had to add more oil, but the noise is still there! Let me know if you figure this out thankss