YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Fried Converter Box- Trailer light hookup

So my trailer light hookup doesnt work. the mechanic told me the converter box is fried and it was no longer available from toyota. they said there were aftermarket ones available, but it would take weeks to get. does anyone know where to find these things? and how is the install? is the converter the box at teh back? is there some sort of writeup? thanks all!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
99runnersilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Contributing Member

You should be able to get a trailer convertor at any RV shop, U-Haul or most parts stores. You can find specific ones for Toyotas or a generic one. It's located at the back, behind the large plastic panel on the driver side. Installation instructions should come with it, but basically you connect the input of the convertor to your brake, tail and left and right turn signal wires. The output will have the 4 trailer wires.
2001 4Runner; 4.30 e-locked rear axle and front diff with ARB; OME884/N91S front; OME891/N86 rear; BudBuilt skidplate and bellypan; Lil Skip's Offroad gas tank skid; Tundra brake swap; 1" 4Crawler body lift; 4Crawler SliderZ; TJM T-15 with Warn M8000 and Amsteel blue synthetic line; 170 mm Lightforce lights; CBI Offroad rear bumper; dual batteries with Hellroaring battery isolator; 285/75R16 Wrangler MTR Kevlar; Cobra 75 WX ST cb; Alinco DR635 VHF/UHF ham radio
eric-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Contributing Member

elton hostler
Send a message via AIM to Elton Send a message via MSN to Elton
i thought mine was no good either wasn't getting any power to it turns out the plug was bad
97 honda civic lx 4dr ls vtec
Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

amazon.com-

about $34.75 use Hopkins brand-consider LED indicating 4pin unit so at a glance at your rear bumper area you can see what is functional and what is not- About $8 also a Hopkins product.

I have a thread about this in General electrical-the box on a 99 Runner is in the drivers side rear corner.

Requires removal of a lot of trim-be careful with that huge cargo area piece so you don't break the clip holders.

picture of the unit contained within my Facebook link below.
O/M/E shocks- N91s fr/N86 rr
All Pro Off Road welded on sliders
ARB"Taco"bumper/Hella 500s & side markers
Redline Tuning hood struts/Bushwackers
2" 4crawler.com body lift
all my Yota photos are over on Facebook now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Ron Helmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Don't worry about a Toyota OEM replacement, get the $30 aftermarket version. I've read on YT that the Toyota converter boxes are easy to fry when they get shorted out (as mine did, and so did yours probably ).

You can find the Hopkins brand boxes at Walmart, Autozone, or just about any auto parts place for ~$30. I tow an old beat up trailer and have shorted out the lights numerous times and haven't ruined the box yet

The worst part of the install getting to the old box. The box is under the plastic molding in the rear cargo area on the drivers side. Yeah like Ron said, use some care when removing the molding. I cut out the old box then I soldered all the wires in place and re-ran the trailer wire harness through the body. It took about 90 minutes. Some vehicles have "plug and play" harnesses that can be pluged into your factory harness without any spicing and soldering. My 2000 4Runner was not plug and play.

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 09-29-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Mtn Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1997, 2000, 4runner, converter, converters, harness, hook, hookup, install, light, lights, tacoma, toyota, trailer, walmart, wiring