Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FR Wheel noise on 95 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR Wheel noise on 95 Runner

Hi all -- I've got a 95 Runner (IFS) and am getting a rubbing/grinding type noise from the front right (passgr.) wheel. I banged against, up and down a curb in the rain a few weeks ago but after replacing a couple suspension parts it had been running fine. I got the noise a week ago and immediately thought it was a wheel bearing, so I replaced it. While I was down there, I turned the wheel and it sounded like the noise was coming from the bearing area. Strangely, when I pulled the cover off the hub and turned it again, there was no noise. Despite that, I pressed on (pardon the pun) with changing all the bearings/races on that side and the noise was gone. Tonight, it started coming back ...
It doesn't sound like it's coming from further up the axle and doesn't feel like CV ... but I'm not real familiar w/ the system and am not sure where to look next. Oh, and I think it has ADD hubs...

Thanks for any ideas...
Paul
Old 10-30-2004, 06:24 PM

Ideas? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 10-30-2004, 06:38 PM

bump.

mainly because i have a similar sound coming from my drivers front wheel when turning right. i'm pretty sure it's not the bearing and i can't see anything rubbing.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mike_d
bump.

mainly because i have a similar sound coming from my drivers front wheel when turning right. i'm pretty sure it's not the bearing and i can't see anything rubbing.
bump again ... and a little more info: the sound isn't constant on mine. Right now I only hear it in the morning a little bit, and even at its worst it happens only when rolling straight. If I turn (weight shift?) it stops, but returns when the Runner is traveling straight again. Also, it's only intermittent right now but if it progresses like the last time, it'll just be "on" one day again. Application of brakes doesn't do anything.

I jacked up the Runner last night and rolled the wheel -- it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bearings area, but as stated above, they're brand new. When I pull the outer cover from the hub, the noise stops.

Thoughts? Anyone? I hate to bring it to the stealership for them to troubleshoot ...

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

May be the inner spindle bushings. Is the noise worse when the truck is 'cold'? By 'cold' I mean when the truck has been sitting a while or 1st thing in the AM when you start it. Yoyota came out w/ a BEARING to replace the BUSHING as it is a common problem esp. w/ trucks equipped w/ ADD.

Jake
Old 11-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Last time I had that noise, it was a wheel bearing but you've replaced those.
I'd try rotating that tire to the rear of the vehicle and see what happens. Since you hit a curb, you may have something wrong with your wheel.
Does it pull to one side?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jake94
May be the inner spindle bushings. Is the noise worse when the truck is 'cold'? By 'cold' I mean when the truck has been sitting a while or 1st thing in the AM when you start it. Yoyota came out w/ a BEARING to replace the BUSHING as it is a common problem esp. w/ trucks equipped w/ ADD.

Jake
That is a TOTALLY accurate description! Mornings are the worst -- I'd bet that's it. I'll check w/ the dealer tomorrow and see about it. Many thanks for giving me a direction to go with this ...

-Paul
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by golden
Last time I had that noise, it was a wheel bearing but you've replaced those.
I'd try rotating that tire to the rear of the vehicle and see what happens. Since you hit a curb, you may have something wrong with your wheel.
Does it pull to one side?

Nope, no pull ... not anymore anyway. <hanging head in shame> Had to have the tie rod & control arm replaced after punching the curb ... then did the bearings a couple weeks ago. Had all wheels align/bal at the stealer (on Hunter) after it happened, Thanks though -- good ideas!

-Paul
Old 11-16-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jake94

Jake
Hey Jake -- well, that was exactly it. I replaced the bad bushing this past weekend and I'm riding in nice, smooth (relatively speaking, of course) silence again. Many thanks to you and all who helped me find the problem. Also, many thanks for fellow Air Force "wing nut" JimRockford (Kevin) for posting an awesome write up write up on replacing them.

FWIW -- the auto hobby shop here (Bolling) is about the worst I've seen and didn't have anything to remove the bushings OR press in the new bearing. I used a craftsman pry bar (w/ chisel tip) to pop out the outer bushing, a 23mm socket to drive out the inner and hammer taps to get them back in. All in all, 4-5 hours per side (which included re-packing the wheel bearings on the driver side).

Finally -- put Billy shocks all around a couple days later and OMG -- what a difference!!! The old Monroe's that were on it when I got it seem like they've been there for life...

Thanks again all!
-Paul
(3-1/2 months til PCS - Hello Luke!)