Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Found E-Locker, looks rough. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Found E-Locker, looks rough. Need advice

So I found a 3rd member from a '99 Taco the guy says its all in great working condition, but I'm new to the whole gear thing, frankly, they kinda scare me. I'm worried i'm going to mess something up and just cause myself to spend even more money to fix it. He lives about 2 hours away so probably dont want to drive down and back just to see it, but may have to. He sent me some pics last night and I attached them below (sorry they are small had trouble getting them down to a size that would fit on yotatech).

Anyway, I guess what I would like to know is:
1) Is it even usable?

2) if so, how much work is involved? solvants, grinding, rebuilding? Would I have to press bearings to disassemble it? Would I even have to disassemble it?

3) is the actuator on there and what is the likelyhood it still works? (not sure what it even looks like, I was imagining something larger on the outside but just see the plugins for wiring harness) Would I be able to touch a battery to two of the terminals and see if it works?

4) What would you say is a 'good price' for one in this condition?

5) What is the likelyhood these gears are 4.10's?

6) Are you tired of my silly questions or have any other helpful info?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Found E-Locker, looks rough. Need advice-diff1.jpg   Found E-Locker, looks rough. Need advice-diff2.jpg   Found E-Locker, looks rough. Need advice-diff3.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wazioc
So I found a 3rd member from a '99 Taco the guy says its all in great working condition, but I'm new to the whole gear thing, frankly, they kinda scare me. I'm worried i'm going to mess something up and just cause myself to spend even more money to fix it. He lives about 2 hours away so probably dont want to drive down and back just to see it, but may have to. He sent me some pics last night and I attached them below (sorry they are small had trouble getting them down to a size that would fit on yotatech).

Anyway, I guess what I would like to know is:
1) Is it even usable? I don't know how compatiable 4runner and tacoma 3rd members are. There is some work invovled though to retor fit a locker.

2) if so, how much work is involved? solvants, grinding, rebuilding? Would I have to press bearings to disassemble it? Would I even have to disassemble it? There's a write up over on sonoran steel.

3) is the actuator on there and what is the likelyhood it still works? (not sure what it even looks like, I was imagining something larger on the outside but just see the plugins for wiring harness) Would I be able to touch a battery to two of the terminals and see if it works?

4) What would you say is a 'good price' for one in this condition? I just picked up awhole axle with the elocker and wiring for less than $500. MAybe, $250

5) What is the likelyhood these gears are 4.10's? Can't help you there, I'm still new to this as well

6) Are you tired of my silly questions or have any other helpful info?

Thanks

See red

Last edited by wormhole; 07-31-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

I would check it before you buy it....

use this

http://carterswebsite.com/4runner/mo...er/#ELECT_MECH

If the actuator works, the rest can be cleaned up. I would get a master install kit to replace all the bearings, and you can re-gear if needed then.

I wouldn't pay more than $200. for that one as long as it works.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the help so far guys, especially for that electronics link Marc. That will definately help if I go down to visit it. Where would I go about getting one of these master install kits and about how much do they cost?

Wormhole, I guess my questions were more focused on the 3rd member itself. I know the e-locked 3rd members of the 4runners and tacos are interchangable, but need some axle housing modifications, I did all that research, but mostly wanted to know if this E-locker is salvagable/rebuildable or even worth the time and money to do that.