Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fog Lights not working...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Lights not working...

Hey all... I'm hoping one of you may have a solution to my dilemma. Let me set the mood here... I drive a 99' Limited and over the weekend I came across a deal I couldn't pass up... A buddy of mine had a brand new 6000K H4 HID system (low beam only) and I bought it from him for 150. Nice eh? So anyways, it's around 8pm in the evening and we begin the installation. First we took out the factory bulb and put in the new HID bulb... I Didn't mount the ballasts just yet cuz I wanted to test everything first. Okay so since it's a low beam only setup, there are only 2 prongs that plug into the factory harness, ground and power. I grounded one prong into the harness and Took a multimeter to find the hot wire. I Plug everything in, and turn on the lights...I hear the ballasts humming and the new HID bulbs fire right up... First a brilliant Blue then slowly as it warms up it turns into a bright, crisp icy white. WOOHOO! What a difference! Okay, now with that said and done, I realize my Fog lights don't work anymore? What happened? Are they somehow tied into the high beams and since I no longer have anything connected on that part of the harness did it disable the fogs? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

-Ed
Old 10-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Perform the "Fog Lamp Mod" on my site and you fogs will work again. Yes, the fog relay taps into the low beam circuit which it appears you modified. The Mod taps the parking lamp circuit instead of the low beam circuit.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:22 PM

Hey Thanks Jalaber! You ROCK! The mod fixed everything...

-Ed
Old 10-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Jalabar,
My HID kit is in the mail and it is dual beam, although I think the high beam is just a mechanical arm or something. Are my fogs not going to work after the HID install? I haven't done your fog light mod that makes them stay on with the high beams because I have an '01 and I can't get that damn wiring harness underneath the drivers side dash unplugged. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, know where I can pick up one of those Stanley fog lights that come stock on the 4Runner for cheap?

Matt
Old 10-25-2002, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Jalabar,
My HID kit is in the mail and it is dual beam, although I think the high beam is just a mechanical arm or something. Are my fogs not going to work after the HID install? I haven't done your fog light mod that makes them stay on with the high beams because I have an '01 and I can't get that damn wiring harness underneath the drivers side dash unplugged. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, know where I can pick up one of those Stanley fog lights that come stock on the 4Runner for cheap?

Matt
1) Depends on how the kit specifys to be wired. If the fog relay no longer gets a positive feed from the factory headlamp harness then you will need to do the Mod so the parking lamp circuit brings positive power to the fog relay. Dont be so concerned with the fogs staying on with the high beams, the main point of the mod is so that the fogs go on independent of the low beam circuit (as long as the parking lamps are on).

2) How much do you consider cheap.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Jalabar,
Well, cheap would be $50-$125. The stealer wants over $350 for a single new fog lamp. I refuse to pay that. I would rather ride around with only one fog light. A local salvage yard said they could get me one for $125. One of the guys on here said that he got his hands on two of them from a guy who was selling his 4Runner, and since he only needed the passenger fog, he would sell the driver's side fog to me for $50. Know somewhere online where I could get one?

Matt
Old 10-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Jalabar,
Well, cheap would be $50-$125. The stealer wants over $350 for a single new fog lamp. I refuse to pay that. I would rather ride around with only one fog light. A local salvage yard said they could get me one for $125. One of the guys on here said that he got his hands on two of them from a guy who was selling his 4Runner, and since he only needed the passenger fog, he would sell the driver's side fog to me for $50. Know somewhere online where I could get one?

Matt
Sorry, not for those prices.