Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FMU Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool FMU Temp Sensor

Hello all, as some here know I recently completed my install on my HiLuxSurf Field Monitor Unit on my '98 4Runner. Everything seems to be working except the temp sensor is reading REALLY low. Yesterday the temp here near Seattle was 100 degrees (yeah you read that correctly). The temp sensor should have been reading 38 degrees (celcius) but is reading 18. Normal days when it should be around 17-18 it is reading 2-3. Does anyone know anything about adjusting/calibrating the control unit or is this a problem with the sensor? Any ideas are welcome. As soon as I get a better handle on using Photobucket and shink my photos down I will post a writeup with pics. It may take me awhile but it will get here! Thanks to all who have helped.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know but if you need to replace it, I was just asking about the part number. It's 88625-32170. $28 bucks.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not aware of any way to calibrate it. Mine worked right out of the gate.

If you can get a new one, I'd try that first. (Maybe something internally is broken in the sensor.) Otherwise, I would believe the problem is in the FM itself.

Good luck on fixing the problem...keep us updated.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

One more thing, I just called a local toy dealer and that part # frodin1 listed (88625-32170) has changed to: 88625-32171 (the 0 at the end is now a 1). Said the price was around $45 list. It went up from $30 to $40 when the # changed.

He seemed to think he could get one, so you may be in luck.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-12-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Check trdparts4u, thats were I found it for 28 bucks.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Hey Ritzy, it's just a thought, but if you end up getting a new temp sensor i'd be willing to take yours "assuming they are the same". My outside temp gauge doesn't work. All it shows is --. I could at least plug it in and make sure weather or not it's my Digital Temp Selector or the actual sender. You know how Toyota is about returning electronic parts.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM

I just got one of these too and I can thank Rock Slide and a few other members on here for their detailed write ups. I manage to win the bid for a pretty good price, it was listed as off of a 96 4runner with sunroof controls which matches up fine as I have the two separate switches. Unfortunately it didn't come with the outside ambient temp sensor.

My question is will any two wire ambient temp sensor work fine with it like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWD1V
or would I need the one listed here (PN #88625-32171)??

Here are a few pics

sorry for the poor quality as its taken with my cell phone.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:34 AM

Went to the Toyota dealer yesterday and had a wee bit of fun with the parts guys. My dealership takes pride in finding the part you need for your Toyota, so I ask the lead guy, "I need you guys to work your parts magic." He looked ready with a bit of a grin and asked me "So what do you need?" "1996-2001 HiLux Surf Field Monitoring Unit, thermo sensor." His look was worth the extra I ended up paying for the sensor!

Long story short, I handed the guy the part numbers you guys posted, he looked it up and they didn't have any but there are 3 in Portland, Or. They ordered one, but the part has gone up again, $53. I don't have time to dink around as I am headed south next week so this weekend is the weekend I have to finish getting the truck ready. I asked the guy if they had a pic of the sensor but all they had was the drawing, but it did show the sensor as being behind the left side of the bumper and it even looked similar. Will post results after I install it. The sensor is a thermistor so that should fix my issue.

Iceman, as for if it works with other makers sensors, don't know. Not sure if they are using the same system for measurement. It looks like your FMU is the same but with tan colored switches. I needed the tan color for mine but my FMU came with grey, so I swapped the switch units. I will be showing that in my write up, but it really is pretty easy, almost a complete "plug & play". So if you have any questions about doing a swap with your old sunroof switch if you need to change the switch color, just ask.

Just got in my reverse color gauge set. These are silver with either blue or green back lighting. Going to look at trying to do the install this weekend as well. More to follow guys.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

iceman601 - looking forward to the write up! And as Ritzy said, I do not believe just any temp sensor will work. Although for $10, you could always be the guinea pig for us and found out if that one does or not.

Ritzy - yeah, I always get a kick out of asking a toy parts person about these FMs. I just enjoy seeing that dumbfounded expression on their faces. Glad you were able to order the temp sensor though...lets hope that fixes your problem.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-13-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM

The FMU I got is also grey, I plan on painting it to match so I swapped my old sunroof switch over, that and because the wires on the switch was also different.

Can someone clarify what the two remaining wires are for?....The White wire and the Blue with White?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iceman601
Can someone clarify what the two remaining wires are for?....The White wire and the Blue with White?

Thanks
I have been told they should be connected as followed (do not know if this is true or not, but I have been unsuccessful in wiring these 2 wires):

-White wire to sunroof switch light dimmer
-Blu/White wire to sunroof switch light dimmer

(I do not even have a sunroof switch light dimmer on my 3rd gen.)

No one to my knowledge has been able to find where these 2 wires go. If you know of somone who owns a hilux surf that has a FM installed in their surf from the factory, you could have them trace the 2 wires to find out where they go. The few contacts I have in Europe are not willing to tear into their surfs and find this out for me.

I have also been told by a Surf owner there is a "snowflake" feature on these FMs. Anotherwords, when the temp drops below freezing outside, a snowflake is displayed on the screen of the FM. I have yet to hear anyone else talk about this feature (nor have I seen it), but maybe these 2 wires do something with that.

Those are my 2 guesses.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-13-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:12 AM

I not all sure of a write up, but I'll be taking lots of pics just for reference. I was test fitting this thing last night and it appears that I'll have to hack up my rear view mirror just like Midiwall. Did you guys have to the same thing also?

As for the temp sensor I'll give it a try and I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

On my '02, no, I did not have to hack up the mirror. Did not even have to remove my factory mirror to install the FM.

When I got my FM, I had my friend send me the rearview mirror that came out of the same surf with it just in case. I did not end up needing it, so it is yours if you want it. (I just ask you pay for shipping. Although it might be just cheaper for you to tear into your mirror than have me ship this one to you.) Oh and the mirror is grey in color by the way.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM

Is the rear view mirror the same as the one you had pictured in your install thread

I might take you up on that offer RockSlide, what is the shipping charges to CA 91803?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

I'll have to look when I get home tonight and compare the 2...been so long since I looked at them side by side, I cannot remember.

The one pictured above is my oem mirror. I'll let you know either tonight or tomorrow it the surf one I have is different or not.

Oh and shipping cost is around $9.00 ups ground.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Can you post a picture of your mirror...I am curious to see the difference(s) in yours compared to mine.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM

I'll get some pics posted once I get off...TGIF

Well, I borrowed some pictures just for reference for the time being:

Here what it looks like:

Does the extra mirror you have look similar to this one?

Last edited by iceman601; 07-13-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Hey Ice, dude, I had to modify my mirror as well but I took lots of pics, I just don't have access to photobucket just yet. If you want I can try to send you pics but they are like with my sony cyber shot so they are like BIG! Two things I noted when I did my "mod" of the mirror.I did have to cut the basic mirror mount like Midi did but I moded mine slightly. I wanted to keep as much of the center section to remount the mirror as I could so I just used a hack saw and started at the portion of the pic you show of the mirror at the widest point past the mirror post itself, using your pic of the mirror and lights I started just outside the two screws next to the mirror post and cut just to below the connector hole and then used the base of the connector hole for my straight cut. I was thinking that I would be able to use the OEM plug for the single line power feed to the map light circuit instead of trying to disassemble the connector and mash the wire like Rockslide. Well I was able to use the connector but not installed in the mount. I ended up having to cut off the screw studs that remained when I did my test fitting. I wish I was better at posting pics as the pics really do make it alot more understandable, so I will work on trying to upload to photobucket tonight. Unreal you needed the grey and I needed the tan! I will be posting a write up soon but hope to get my rig set up for my trip but I will be happy to assist in any way I can. I got GR8 help from Rockslide so we can all get throught this. One more issue you need to be aware of is get yourself an impact screw driver because you are gonna need it when you try to pull the A-pillar screws that hold the "oh-crap" handles. Both Rockslide and myself can verify they can be a PIA! Will monitor for more questions. Hope this helps and I did take many pics of my install
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

iceman601 - Thanks again for the pics. I'll see what my surf mirror looks like when I get home tonight to compare.

Ritzy- Good info on the mirror. Pictures would help me understand these mirror modifications better. Since I did not have to do any to mine, I have been curious to see what was actually done to the mirror to make them fit.

It is okay your pictures are large. When you upload them to photobucket you can resize them. First, click on the picture you want to resize. When the picture opens up in the next window, you will see tabs above the picture. Click on the tab that says "Resize". It will give you many sizes to shrink it down to. Just remember, once you make it smaller, you can't make it bigger. So in case you want to keep your original pictures their original size, first make a copy of them in photobucket and then just edit the duplicate.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Ice - I got a question as the more I look at your pictures.

In this picture, is that the entire piece of the mirror or just the mirror attached to the bracket:

And yes, now that I think about it, the extra mirror I have looks just like this one:

Guess that does not help you then or does it?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-13-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: FMU Temp Sensor