Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FM reception woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FM reception woes

So... A few weeks ago my factory power antenna broke. I ended up replacing it with a rubber duckie, 'cause I just didn't need more power antenna issues.

At that point, my FM reception went to h-e-double toothpicks. Stations that used to come in strong were fading in and out, but not out far enough for the receiver to lose the FM pilot (i.e., they stayed in stereo). The aural effect is much like the stereo separation going from lousy to awesome with added high-end response.

I replaced the rubber duckie with a straight mast, and that helped, but it's still not as good as the original power antenna. Then, I just got back in from installing a 10db FM booster. That helped, but not really.

So... what the heck is in the original antenna that makes it so sensitive? From another thread here, I know that the embedded wires in the rear-most passenger side window are part of an antenna system... How does this figure into the antenna up front? Is there a merger box hidden up behind the ECU?

I ask that 'cause when I put in the replacement mast, I didn't bother backing out the old antenna wire since it was so buried up behind the vent ducts. So it's quite possible that I screwed myself up during the original install.

Thanks for any ideas...

Mark
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 AM

(bump)

I just got back from being out of town for a few days so I figured I'd give this question another shot.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have an antenna grid in your window then it would be connected to your old fm cable. you can access the power antenna motor through the front passenger fender well. If you have plastic fender extensions you take that off then remove the inner fender well.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:11 PM

Thanks Zedex;

I guess I wasn't too clear before... I've completely removed the old antenna, motor and mast. I didn't just replace the mast. So, I've been through the liner and the fender flare fun.

Yeup, I have the rear window grid. You say that it would be connected to the old cable; do you know if it's a hard "T" connection or is there a passive or active merger box? Right now, the new antenna (currently a 32" rod) is just hooked up as a straight shot to the radio - the rear window grid is definitely not connected in any way.

I think that the bottom line of what I'm looking for at this point is to find out just how that rear window grid fits into the system from an electrical point of view. i.e., I understand the physics, I just need to get it back in the loop.

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark,

Have you looked at my write up on the Taco whip antenna mod? I don't know much about the antenna mods you tried, but I will tell you from personal experience that my Taco antenna kicks butt.

Bob
Old 04-07-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry i cant help you mpulver. I looked through my haynes manual and anything having to do with the grid they say contact your local toyota stealership. No schematic that i can see. I will take another look though.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:03 PM

Thanks Zedex, I've got a Haynes and a Chilton's here and they're both pretty lame in that area.

Hi Bob! I hadn't, but I will! Thanks!

(edit) I just read your write-up, Bob. It looks like we did exactly the same thing. It also looks like you didn't find any evidence of an "Y" for the side window antenna.

I guess I'll just have to get in there and rip everything (ECU and heater ducts) to see if there's something special. I wonder how that side window gets integrated? Hmmm...

Or... I could just have a bum antenna base, or there's something special about the Taco antenna. I wonder if it's base loaded and tuned?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by midiwall; 04-07-2003 at 04:12 PM.