Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Floppy seatbelts making me nutso...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floppy seatbelts making me nutso...

Hey everyone!

I've got real floppy seatbelts on my '88 PU. The belts have a real hard time spooling back into the reels anymore. It's mainly on the driver's side because no one really sits on the pass. side. The pass. side is also getting a little lazy spooling back up into the reel too.

I've read somewhere that Toyota will replace the belts free of charge if the vehicle is still owned by the original owner. Is this true? I think it has something to do with safety items, like the seatbelts, being warrantied for the life of the vehicle to the original purchaser. Can anyone confirm this?

I've already tried tightening the reels, but soon afterwards they loosen up again. I've also checked around the local junkyards, but the belts they have are just as bad if not worse than ones on mine. LOL!

Has anyone here ever been successful in getting Toyota to replace the floppy seatbelts on their 1st gen 'Runner's and/or '84-'95 PU's with new ones yet? I'd take this issue directly to my local Toyota dealer, but I feel that I might get a less-than-honest answer if I ask them. Kind of like how they keep the cheap re-badged Purolator(?) "coupon special" Toyota oil-filters in stock right under the parts counter while the better quality 90915-YZZB9 filters are kept hidden in the back.LOL! I'd like to know if they have to replace the belts free of charge and any percentage of costs, if any, that I may have to pay.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:07 AM

I don't know about that warranty but here's a link that outlines the repair procedure:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/
Old 05-04-2004, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Victor
I don't know about that warranty but here's a link that outlines the repair procedure:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/
Thanks Victor!

I've already tried tightening the ribbon spring inside the reel. Unfortunately, the "fix" only lasted temporarily and now it's as floppy as ever.LOL!

I think the ribbon spring inside the reel has a set spring limit tension manufactured into it. When you exceed this limit (based on the width and length of the metal spring) by making it tighter, it stretches even further after awhile.

Is it possible to just buy the seatbelt spring "capsule" separately from Toyota?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:55 AM

I don't think the problem is the spring, I think it's the fabric of the belt. Look at your old belt and you'll notice the fabric is soft, a bit fuzzy, and quite a bit thicker then unworn areas. As such, it curls and twists easily, conforming to your shoulder. But, it also attempts to go into that upper bracket that way, and binds.

You will also frequently find the reel unit is filthy. This results in binding of the mechanism.