Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flooring with the S/C...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Flooring with the S/C...

I've had my 2nd Gen S/C on my 2k2 for about 3 months now. I've really had no problems and it is dealer installed. Since day one, however, when the 4Runner is rolling (i.e. - 50mph down the highway) and I want to accelerate quickly, I mash the throttle and bad things happen. First, I hear the exhaust tone pick up and see the tach rise a little bit. Then, an awful noise (SLAMCLANK) from engine and exhaust, and the vehicle surges as if it drops a gear.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it. Should I take it back to the dealer to take a look?

Thanks,

BlueTrane
Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, i can't say that i have had that problem. I think i got mine installed just before you did...
You should probably get that checked.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

i dunno maybe downshifting?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:17 PM

After all of the noise, does it quiet down and get moving like it should?

What happens when you mash the gas at higher or lower speeds? Does it make the noise at any other time or speed?

Does it have a carrier-bearing on the driveshaft?
IE; 2 short driveshafts going to the rear, the first one goes back and is suspended by this bearing off of the frame, if it has this bearing make sure the mounting bolts have not come loose.

You could also set the parking brake, firmly apply the regular brakes, put it in Drive and have someone gently and steadily step on the gas. Do the same in Reverse.
Your looking for perverse amounts of engine/transmission movement in either the "roll" or "yaw" axis. Large movements would indicate a bum motor or transmission mount.

As you can tell, I'm not overly familiar with the Runners particulars, but most of what I have mentioned, as well as U-joint problems can make a lot of noise regardless of the specific vehicle.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM

I think it is downshifting b/c it acts for half a second like it should and then the clank, and it then acts normally. This does not happen from a stand still. It doesn't really matter what speed I'm going. It seems to be really bad from 15-40mph and not quite so bad at highway speed.

Regardless, no one else is experienceing this right? And I should definately have the dealer check it out?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 01-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

That is what waranties are for. Bring it in and have them check it out...
Old 01-31-2003, 08:09 PM

Dealer called today and said they needed to order a part. Service manager said the tensioner was making "a lot of noise." We'll see how this goes. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does one need a truck with a hood scoop to have an SC cause the salesman keep telling me at the dealership that I need a hoodscoop to have an SC.

I thought it was just a non functioning scoop their for the look but when several salesman seemed convinced you need it for an SC you start to second guess yourself
Old 01-31-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
Does one need a truck with a hood scoop to have an SC cause the salesman keep telling me at the dealership that I need a hoodscoop to have an SC.

I thought it was just a non functioning scoop their for the look but when several salesman seemed convinced you need it for an SC you start to second guess yourself
Your dealer is an idiot!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 PM

Thank you Gadget, you should have seen the salesman running around telling me that I did not have enough room with out the hoodscoop, he was convinced but everytime I asked him to show me in writing he could not find it, at the time he was in the middle of a donut, just let me say he takes advantage of the free donuts
Old 01-31-2003, 09:52 PM

question for the s/c'd engine with the horrible clunk: If it only happens at high speeds, and it sounds like its downshifting, do you have the trd tranny cooler as well. I know it is possible to buy the supercharger without, but I doubt that a dealership would put on the supercharger with out it. Just curious, if that's not it, if its in the engine, then take it to the dealership, have them double check everything. When its in the engine, it is hard to do tests with the average tools everyone has around the house. At the dealership they will just plug into the on board diagnostics and usually find any major problems in a fraction of the time of what visual or sound inspection could tell you.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:53 AM

Just take it to the dealer, I thought when the SC was dealer installed it would be cover with the original vehicle warranty, at least I read that.

For those guys that are pinging, are you putting premium in the truck and are you using a good quality gas cause I only use Mobil and notice from a few of my friends and neighbors who fill up at certain places the cars run harder, and I could prove the gas they where using was crappy
Old 02-01-2003, 03:05 AM

Similar Symptoms

Good morning BlueTrane ...

I had a weird experience that I could say had to do with WOT on-the-roll kickdown acceleration, but I can't be sure if all symptoms match yours. It occurred when I had the airbox open. I will check it out again today and LYK. From your tag line it appears you are still running a stock airbox ... except for the filter?

As for the hood, that is a crock! We can just assume that most car salesmen are ignorant and arrogant. They don't know learn about their product, don't know how to sell (just take orders) and are desperate to make that $200.00. SERVICE is a word they can't even spell. Too bad.

Also, on your '02, are you finding that it pulls to the right? I felt there was something not right because it behaved less civilized on the highway than my '99. Then I came across the TSB's on the steering problems. FYI
Old 02-01-2003, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

That has got to be the dumbest comment I have ever heard a salesman make!

Good call Gadget.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:56 AM

Thank you all my Toyota driving friends, Im now gonna send this thread to the one salesman that I like, for identity reasons I'll call him "D" 1st leter of his name, he can pass the word to the other guy who seemed so sure and willing to bet money that the hoodscoop served a purpose
Old 02-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

haha what a moron. if you have to have a hood scoop for the SC, then how come tacomas and tundras can use them?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 02-01-2003, 07:44 AM

Road Test at WOT

BlueTrane,

I live at sea level and it is 37* here w/ 100% humidity. At 50 mph when I mash the pedal I get a hesitation, and what sounds like a cough and pop. I hear nothing that could be drivetrain related. Having never had a SC before, I don't know what it is suppose to behave like, but I understand that the hesitation is normal. The popping sound is reminiscent to what I hear in the TB when the tuning is not right and some other guys I know w/ blown Chevys have had this problem. Of course, my driving habits here are _very_ sedate so for me to drive aggresively would require some degree of ECU learning recurve. At hard acceleration, but not mashing the pedal to WOT, the response seems to be normal and consistent.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:58 PM

I forgot to let you guys know that after the CLANK, sometimes I'll get an odd smell in the cabin. My fiance can really tell and makes comments about it.

When I had the tech ride in the vehicle, of course it didn't act as bad as I'm used to but it was still noticeable. Hopefully, the tensioner is the problem like they say but I'm doubtful.

BTW, ManyMods, I haven't really noticed it pulling to the right at all. I'm not really happy with the ride though. My ultimate goal is to have a ride similar to an MDX from Acura. Thats another post though down the road. If you have any suggestions there, PM me.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 02-01-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by BlueTrane

When I had the tech ride in the vehicle, of course it didn't act as bad as I'm used to but it was still noticeable. Hopefully, the tensioner is the problem like they say but I'm doubtful.
Nick,
I PM'd you. Although a tensioner can go bad, they usually don't. What masks itself as a posible tension problem sometimes is when the pulleys are not aligned properly, but I doubt that is your problem either. You would be able to notice that by the wear on the belt and on the pulley (the shiney spot). I know that if pulleys are not aligned you would think it would throw the belt? Sometimes! I doubt that the dealer will have a belt tension gauge but there is really no way of gauging or even telling what the accurate tension is with the gauge if you have a tensioner pulley. One more thing. Do you see any indication on the belt that it is slipping? It would look glazed on the pulley surface.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:28 PM

Well, I'm still having problems. The first dealer ordered the wrong part and hasn't called me back so I'm through with them. I took it to Toyota of Dallas yesterday and they supposedly "fixed it." They said my Amsoil air filter was the problem. It was 'too restrictive' and the supercharger sucked a vacuum hose right off. They said the hose was causing the crank, the truck was running rich at cruise and lean under WOT.

This I think is all crap. I picked the truck up this morning and its still doing the same crap. I really don't know whats wrong and they'd never heard of the problem before.

Guess I'll try another dealer.

Nick

Quick Reply: Flooring with the S/C...