Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Floor heater switching and split heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor heater switching and split heat

I've been having a ton of little problems with my truck recently and I think I just found another.

When you switch it to floor vent, shouldnt it ONLY come out on the floor?...I have no difference on the switch switching between floor/reg vents and floor only. How is it supposed to work?

Oh and another thing, when I turn the defrost on from being completely off I could have sworn the A/C used to come on. Now when I turn it on, it doesnt. I wouldnt think this would have to do anything with the vents but I noticed the a/c not coming on at the same time the vents stopped working properly. My question is, doesnt the A/C come on when you turn it to defrost? Is it a coincidence they both stopped working at the same time or could they be related somehow? Like there is a switch hooked to the vent flappers that tell when they are all the way open or whatever but since mine arent operating properly this switch isnt being activated, I dunno.

I dunno what the deal is with this thing recently. Seems like when it got cold the temp guage and the vents stopped working properly. Oh well.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:32 AM

Well when you switch to the floor/reg vents then it should come out of all the vents accept the defrost vents in front of dash. When you switch to floor only there is a flapper in the middle that closes off the center 2 vents in your dash; then the flow will come out of the floor of course but will also come out of the two side vents nearest the doors because thats just how its designed.

The A/C should come on when you use the defrost unless you manually turn it off. In order for defrost to work best the compressor needs to be compressing the OUTside air. however I always turn mine off and wait a little longer cuase Id rather not run the compressor unless I want the A/C to be cold...
Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by noahrexion
Well when you switch to the floor/reg vents then it should come out of all the vents accept the defrost vents in front of dash. When you switch to floor only there is a flapper in the middle that closes off the center 2 vents in your dash; then the flow will come out of the floor of course but will also come out of the two side vents nearest the doors because thats just how its designed.

The A/C should come on when you use the defrost unless you manually turn it off. In order for defrost to work best the compressor needs to be compressing the OUTside air. however I always turn mine off and wait a little longer cuase Id rather not run the compressor unless I want the A/C to be cold...
cool thanks. Then apparently my problem is that the air isnt coming out the center vents on floor/reg heat. It comes out the 2 sides and the floor with both options.

I dunno what happened to the a/c coming on with defrost. I can turn it on fine but it doesnt come on automatically, thats not that big of a deal too me though.