Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flex Plate/Fly Wheel

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex Plate/Fly Wheel

I have been hearing a recurring noise from underneath my Truck since I got it a few years ago. Many tell me it sounds like a lifter, but its not coming from the Engine, sounds like it was underneath. Only does it when stopped and it gear.. Its an Auto Tranny.

Well every once in a while it the starter doesn't do right, almost like the motor is locking up.

So I think I have figured out whats going on. I think the Flex plate is going bad or is damaged some how.

Question Number 1: How common is this?

Q2: How difficult and expensive is it commonly to replace this?

Q3: Should I let Toyota do it? I have a mechanic that maybe can do it, he is cheaper, How much needs to be taken apart to get to it?

It looks like the starter is on the side of the Bell Housing and rather in accessable.

Any help is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ocean Racer; 03-21-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 AM

I think more info is needed to narrow it down to the flex plate. the most common damage to the flex plate would be teeth missing or broken off. When this happens, and the missing teeth are in line with the starter, there will be a grinding noise when you try to start it. I have heard of one other problem. My friend had a 85 Supra, and a few of the bolts that bolt the flex plate to the crank had loosened up, and make some odd noises.

the flex plate doesn't really go bad, it is just a flat round piece of metal with a ring gear along its edge for the starter to engage and turn over the motor.

As far as what needs to be removed, the tranny needs to be dropped. The flex plate bolts to the crank shaft of the engine and to the torque converter.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How many miles on the engine? I am assuming the 3.4L V6?

Both hydraulic lifter and flex plate problems are pretty much unheard on Yotatech and other online Toyota boards... I don't often read about it at least.

I would look into simpler things first.

When was the last time you had the transmission flushed? Sounds funny, but have you lubed your driveshaft at all? Make sure everything is tight underneath. I'd just crawl under there and do a quick inspection, and lube/tighten things first. Maybe bring to a mechanic to do a look at give you an estimate. He might not be able to diagnose the problem correctly though, you never know.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM

The Ticking sound is only at Idle when in drive sitting still. Otherwise I never hear it.

I just got it back from the Dealer and they don't seem to hear anything but its there, sounds just like lifter tap, but its not coming from the engine, its underneath somewhere. It has made this noise since I got it 2 yrs ago, never gotten worse or any better. So I guess I will Let her Eat! I will take your advise and lub everything up, while under there I did see a lot of grease fittings that I can hit pretty easily, get her ready for the beach!

They said my Starter is bad, $585 to replace. Again I can't foot their bills, so I am doing it myself, hopefully for under $200.

I am still thinking possibly the flex plate is rubbing on something at that certain RPM and Load. But I won't know because it can't be seen without taking it apart, and I don't want that bill!

Last edited by Ocean Racer; 03-22-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocean Racer

I am still thinking possibly the flex plate is rubbing on something at that certain RPM and Load. But I won't know because it can't be seen without taking it apart, and I don't want that bill!
Actually you can see parts of it with the inspection plate/dust cover removed (see pic below). And you can rotate the crank around by hand you can see all 6 bolts. It's possible one of the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate is backing out and hitting every now and then.

I have seen the flex plate crack around the bolts holding it to the crank, but it is rare and I think caused by a out of balance situation or a bad bearing, something like that. I remember one guy that broke 2 of them in a short span of time and that's why I think it was from some other problem putting stress on the flex plate.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.