YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

flares and stereos

I just got me a green 99 4Runner Highlander and I'm looking to spiff it up a bit (no serious mods, though).

So, first on the bill - colored-key (key-colored?) fender flares - I noticed some (Limiteds?) have nice fender flares of the same color (instead of the smaller, rounder black ones). Can I swap out my black ones for the other type (will the bolt holes match?). And if so, where I can I score some? Any issues (color-matching) that I should consider?

Second, what suggestions do you have for an upgraded aftermarket stereo?

thanks,

Kurt
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Ya you can replace the fender flares w/the colour matched limited ones, you can also get colour matched oens from other sources too, try performanceproducts.com maybe trdparts4u.com just do a search on yahoo for 4runner fender flares.
As far as an aftermarket stereo its really personal preference, do a search on here as a lot of people have aftermarket stereos in their Runners. I've got an all Audiobahn system with a Kenwood deck and love but I'm sure theres people who wouldn't agree with my choice, every companies top end stuff compares pretty good with other companies.
Good Luck...but personally I'd recomend Lift, Locker and Tires first
*1991 Toyota Pickup Ext. Cab SR5 4x4 V6 5 spd K&N intake, port & polished heads with OS valves, port & polished intake manifold and plenum, NWOR headers and crossover, NWOR catback, Denso Iridium plugs, Redline Fluids, 4.88s, Rear LockRight, Aisin hubs, Chevy springs, BJ spacers, 2" RB body lift, 34x10.5 Swamper LTBs, WolphisWorks Sliders and bumpers, 400,000 mi.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Burtman Industries carry Fender Flare and Cladding for the LIMITED look. I remember that it's around $500 for the whole set.

In case if you're giving up your factory stereo, and if it's an in-dash 6CD changer type of stereo. Let me know how much you're selling.

THX!

2000 4Runner SR5 5-speed EBONY
Old 05-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Bushwacker has a set of flares that are just a tad slimmer than the Limited's and you can get the whole set for $250 and I had 'em on my '97 and they looked very nice and I had them painted by a friend.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan
I have Bushwackers painted to match. Look at my website for some pics.
V6 5 speed 4X4| Retrofitted E-Locker| SAW's| LC coils and Bilstein shocks| ATS A-arms | 285 BFGoodrich KMS2's| TJM T-15 With Warn M8000|Retrofitted Toyota Hood Scoop| Stubbs Sliders|Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender Flares| Extended rear diff breather| Uniden 510XL CB w/ 4 Ft. Firestik II Antenna|Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler|Black headlights and corners| More to come...

2008 Audi B7 Avant
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Bushwacker has a set of flares that are just a tad slimmer than the Limited's and you can get the whole set for $250 and I had 'em on my '97 and they looked very nice and I had them painted by a friend.
Hey X-AWDriver, Does the Bushwacker set comes with the cladding? drilling to install?

2000 4Runner SR5 5-speed EBONY
Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

i cant find bushwakers anywhere for cheap?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to calrockx
you've got the sr5 style black flares? i'll trade you, for my black limited style flares.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to dibble9012 Send a message via Skype™ to dibble9012
I know the limited style flares have big square holes behind them, are you sure that the smaller sr flares would cover those holes?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012
I know the limited style flares have big square holes behind them, are you sure that the smaller sr flares would cover those holes?

yeah there i go getting ahead of myself again. can anyone confirm/deny that the sr5 flares cover those holes? if they don't completely, do they at least partially?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrockx
you've got the sr5 style black flares? i'll trade you, for my black limited style flares.
I'd take your flares in a heartbeat, but i don't have a complete set, no mud flaps...

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel..."

Return With Honor
Old 05-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Contributing Member

you mean no rear mud flaps? nuts to those, i'm changing my rear bumper anyway.

oh and callmekurt, as for aftermarket stereos, everyone seems to like alpine. you can't go wrong with mp3 capability.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 4RocRunner92 Send a message via MSN to 4RocRunner92 Send a message via Skype™ to 4RocRunner92
JL Audio. I got a nice JL system in my runner I'll sell you. :o
4RocNC

Videos
Old 05-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
you mean no rear mud flaps? nuts to those, i'm changing my rear bumper anyway.

oh and callmekurt, as for aftermarket stereos, everyone seems to like alpine. you can't go wrong with mp3 capability.
i just have the flares, i tossed the rear flaps cause of my rear bumper, and the front rubbed on the 35's so i gave'em to SLCpunk

Return With Honor
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
yeah there i go getting ahead of myself again. can anyone confirm/deny that the sr5 flares cover those holes? if they don't completely, do they at least partially?
I don't think they will. RTDawgs (Ryan) tried it with my old set and I think he said they didn't cover the holes. I would PM him to confirm though, that was a few years ago and I might be mistaken.
V6 5 speed 4X4| Retrofitted E-Locker| SAW's| LC coils and Bilstein shocks| ATS A-arms | 285 BFGoodrich KMS2's| TJM T-15 With Warn M8000|Retrofitted Toyota Hood Scoop| Stubbs Sliders|Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender Flares| Extended rear diff breather| Uniden 510XL CB w/ 4 Ft. Firestik II Antenna|Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler|Black headlights and corners| More to come...

2008 Audi B7 Avant
Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Runner
Hey X-AWDriver, Does the Bushwacker set comes with the cladding? drilling to install?

Performance Products sells Bushwacker's version of the flares with cladding and it doesn't look too bad but that place isn't cheap. I got my flares for my '97 from Cabela's and they were only $250.

The flares themselves used the OEM holes in the wheel well but the piece that goes on the rear door needed a few very small screw holes to hold the bracket that held the flare piece on. The set also comes with two sets of very front pieces that connect to the bumper. One set wraps underneath the front bumper valence and the other set tapers down right before the bottom of the bumper.
I'm sorry but I don't have pics of my '97 but they do mimic the Limited style flares very well.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Runner
Check my website for pics, I have the same flares.

2008 Audi B7 Avant
Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

How about Flares for a 2 Door Second Gen?......
Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Contributing Member

just get the bushwackers...

Return With Honor
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

its hard to spend $400 for 4 pieces of plastic....dam they just look so good.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement