Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

First trip with new(used) runner. Pics and Qs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First trip with new(used) runner. Pics and Qs

Got some pics from my first adventure out with my new to me 4runner. I also had a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could help with. First off, has anybody found a cargo cover that fits in the 2nd gens? I have searched and searched but not found any real answers. Secondly, i am well aware that those running boards need to go, but was wondering if it is as simple as unbolting them, or if there is more to it? Thanks for all the help!
Pics
Old 03-28-2004, 07:21 PM

Nice pics. The running boards are a simple unbolt. Make sure you don't drop them on your head when you're under the truck.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, just 3 bolts on either side.
Mine went straight in the trash. Under the plastic they were rusted right though.
I recommend wearing safety glasses. I didn't, and I wish I did
Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

I've never heard of or seen a cargo cover in a 2nd gen. The only 4runners I've seen with them are the 3rd gens.

As for the running boards, it's just as simple as unbolt and remove. They come off fairly easily though you may want to presoak the bolts if you have a lot of rust.

You should also look into getting some mudflaps, preferably mudflaps off a 4runner or Toyota truck. You can use the cheap ones from the auto parts store but they don't off much protection because they aren't very big.

Nice pics. Now you need to look into getting some rear coils. Do some searching and you will find the Downey HDs are the best.

Also, could you give us some info on your friend's truck. It looks great IMO. Is he a member here too?

BTW Welcome to the board.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed the running boards from my 1999 and was able to order a front mud flap from http://www.partznet.com. It wasn't listed in their online catalog but I was able to obtain a part number from them and placed an order.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I've never heard of or seen a cargo cover in a 2nd gen. The only 4runners I've seen with them are the 3rd gens.

As for the running boards, it's just as simple as unbolt and remove. They come off fairly easily though you may want to presoak the bolts if you have a lot of rust.

You should also look into getting some mudflaps, preferably mudflaps off a 4runner or Toyota truck. You can use the cheap ones from the auto parts store but they don't off much protection because they aren't very big.

Nice pics. Now you need to look into getting some rear coils. Do some searching and you will find the Downey HDs are the best.

Also, could you give us some info on your friend's truck. It looks great IMO. Is he a member here too?

BTW Welcome to the board.

thanks for the welcome, ive been a visiter here for a long time, and a member for a month or so. Unfortunately luke (the other guy in the pics) is not a member though i am attempting to sway him to the dark side. as far as his truck goes its an 89 toy, with the 22-re eng (which, considering it has WAY more guts than my ol 94 22re with 31s did, i have to imagine it has been regeared), older warn winch (not sure of model), arb compressor under hood as well as arb air locker in the back end, not sure of exact lift but by the looks of it it is mostly suspension (the prev. owner had a thing for red/pink so all of the front suspension is red/pink), as well as 32x10.5 bfg ATs to compliment. He bought it as is from some lady rancher or something along those lines who just wanted to get rid of it. He is a great all around guy, funner than hell, and a darn good wheeler. The funny thing is that he isnt all that into wheeling, didnt even know he had the locking rear dif till i pointed to the big button and asked if he knew what it did. Damn, i wish i had that sort of problem!

and as far as the cargo cover, i dont mind drilling if that is what it takes to get an aftermarket one in there, i have just NEVER seen one for a 2nd gen, and really want something to cover up the amp/subs/music server that i plan on putting in the back. I suppose i could just limo tint the back, but that just isnt quite what i am looking for.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool pictures, nice 4Runner. I thought those dead trees looked familiar , I'm from Prescott too.
Hmm, that isn't big bug mesa is it?

Last edited by Silver954Runner; 03-28-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:02 AM

sure is

Originally Posted by Silver954Runner
Cool pictures, nice 4Runner. I thought those dead trees looked familiar , I'm from Prescott too.
Hmm, that isn't big bug mesa is it?

si senor, big bug mesa it is.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

I wanna do some muddin' this spring,those pics look like fun. I also just removed my running boards,my friend has air power in his garage and it only took 15 minutes and it's amazing how much imaginary lift you gain.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tombo,

welcome to YT. id soak the bolts on the running board w/ pb blaster, remove them the next day, and put them on ebay. you might be able to get around $100-ish. maybe a little less. anyways, i'd use the $ to go towards purchasing a set of sliders or more importantly, a set of rear coil springs to take care of that saggy rear end. i believe downey is the preferred choice for 2nd gen'ers but someone correct me if i'm wrong.

bob