Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

First 4runner! newbies questions and intoduction.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 4runner! newbies questions and intoduction.

Hello!
I have been browsing the board for a while searching for old threads relating to the questions I have and I don't find anything just right.. so sorry if these are repeats for people. I really do appreciate the help.

1993 Toyota 4runner SR5 V6 3.0L
213500 miles. I know I know.... it seems to run really well though!

It does not have a manual and I've never owned a truck or an SUV before and I don't know how to do anything on it. Yesterday, on my first day driving it I got a flat tire in the parking lot at work. The tow truck guy said I was missing a part out of the jack kit for unscrewing the spare. There are two brown bars and two silver bars in the kit as well as the jack base). He said I was missing a short piece with a "T" on the end. ( I now know that goes in the hole on the bumper from reading old threads) So he towed me to the tire shop down the road. No biggy. This makes me think I really should buy a manual, I can't find any online so I guess I'll order one from Toyota. ( unless I get some suggestions here)

I'm having a baby in 2 weeks and I know the infant seat will fit in the back seat, so that's a huge relief.

I have no maintenance records for the truck. I know it has new brakes, recently had a tune up, has a new alternator and about 85% tread left on the giant tires. Want to see?

When making hard turns right or left ( like in a u-turn) a bad noise is heard. I don't know if I should be alarmed. Is this a 4-wheel drive thing?

I'll also call Toyota to see if the head gasket recall was done on this truck already.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice! Except for the flat tire yesterday, I LOVE driving my 4runner.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Welcome to the board!
That noise you hear while turning sharp is either the tires rubbing on the fender wells or you need to replace the cv axles.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome Ms Betty,

You will find a wealth of info here as well as some very helpful people.

As far as your noise is concerned, I would begin by looking at the CV boots (torn or leaking).

Welcome to the board.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Likely the turning noise is the infamous steering stops:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ront_end/lube/

Old 07-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Well, I'll cross my fingers that it's just a matter of greasing the steering stops. I'll see if I can get my husband to peek in behind there tonight, my bending ability is severly limited until I have this baby.

Is that totally different than the CV boot or Joint?

I wonder if I could get the oil change guy to grease them?

The guy I bought the car from assured me would have 2 years maintenance free. With the exception of oil changes and tune ups.

Thanks for the info already!

Must go elevate my feet before my ankles need their own zip code.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW your Runner Looked just like mine when it was stock

Only other Red on Red Ive seen so far (Most bumpers are either chrome, or gray)

Your Truck

My Truck Stock.

So Pretty..... Can I take a sawsall to it ? please ? huh please ????
Old 07-06-2005, 11:53 AM

Mine doesn't have anything with a "T" shape but it did come with a longer part with a hook shape on it. Yup, slides in the bumper and use a "L" shaped part to winch it up and down. The hook part slides in a groove like / C /.

The "popping" noise is just a Toyota thing. My truck, my 4runner, my dad's truck, his old truck and all of my buddy's do it, not a problem.

Good luck on the 4runner and the baby.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The noise does sound like the steering stops, just slap some grease on them. Really heavy sticky grease if you can, it lasts longer in the rain.

As for the jack my 93 had a long brown piece with the 'C' on the end, another short straight brown piece that attached to that and then a brown 'L' piece that was used as a handle to turn it. The 2 silver pieces are the lug wrench and a pry bar to remove the centre caps.

If you want a manual I have a factory service manual in pdf format. Send em an email address if you want a copy.

Last edited by eric-the-red; 07-06-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't buy a manual from Toyota, they'll be 'pricey'.

If you want a "1993 Toyota 4Runner Owner's Manual", try eBay. There's not one listed right now, but I'll keep a look-out for one. Try calling your local import wrecking yards. Don't pay more than $10 (with shipping).

Your local parts stores should have Chilton or Haynes manuals for around $15

1Owner
Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

WWW.HALF.COM has the best manual prices on it. I picked up mine for $11 the other day. They are owned by Ebay. Great place for books, movies, etc.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 PM

I phoned toyota to see if the head gasket recall had been done yet. The woman I spoke to said there was no record for it and gave me the VO6 code to get it done for free. She reccommended making an appointment, I guess this is quite a labor intensive replacement. After that I told her that my owners manual was missing, she asked if I would also like a maintenance schedule. I asked about price and she said there were none. So unless they are mailing me a bill... the owners manual will come for free. ( yay free) I was very surprised.

I read in an old head gasket thread that maybe I should wait to get it done to see if I can get the whole long box replaced. Or should I just have it taken care of before my engine explodes?

Thanks to everyone that responded already. I'll have to go double check the jack kit and figure out how to get what I'm missing
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look under your rear seats. The missing piece is probably there and it's pretty long.

And I can't believe the tow truck driver didn't just get under the truck and use a wrench to lower the tire. It isn't that hard.

Also, I'd get the HG done soon, you never know when the recall thingy is going to expire. Plus, you might as well have them replace the water pump and timing belt while they're in there.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 07-06-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 PM

Someone here on YT is selling the stock jack plus the extra tools if you request them HERE---> clicky thing
Old 07-06-2005, 10:55 PM

ms b,

Do a search here someone posted a link here for an online FSM your year even....You have somedown time coming up with the baby due and all, send the truck in and get the work done while you are taking that time....then you do not even miss it.....so yes I would say get the HG done now before it becomes an issue, while at it do the timing belt and water pump....some extra dough but well worth it in the end and you will also have a base line for maint.....On the web link for the fsm....look for a post about squishy brakes...it was there and I know I copied it to another post about running a compression check.......the sharp turn noise I am 95 pct sure it is the steering stops...there is a plastic cap that covers the bolt end that wears out real fast...cost for the part is around $4.00 each and it takes four to do them all part name is something like GROAN STOPPER BOLT COVER....www.partsbin.com.....a heavy axel grease will also work.....