Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: FIPK or cut out my airbox?
K&N FIPK
29.20%
Cut out the airbox
70.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

FIPK or cut out my airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FIPK or cut out my airbox?

I'm trying to decide if I want to order a K&N FIPK or to cut out part of my airbox. If I do the latter, I will just order a K&N replacement filter and do the ISR (which I've already began gathering supplies for).

What do you guys suggest?

Old 10-13-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut it up... it's free.

You can always buy a spare box from a junkyard to replace it if you need to.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

ha ha i voted for the fipk. its your money...you could fab your own isr out of exhaust pipe. later.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Another vote for the deckplate.
Buy yourself some sliders with the $ you save
Old 10-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

he has the 3.0....no "deckplate" mod for us. i saw cut it before you buy the k&n thingy. i mean, what do you have to loose.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

oops
Old 10-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Deckplate and Amsoil air filter
Old 10-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
Deckplate and Amsoil air filter
again, agrunner has the 3.0

3.0= no deckplate or amsoil

and that makes me mad because i want to do it so badly
Old 10-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by doink
again, agrunner has the 3.0

3.0= no deckplate or amsoil

and that makes me mad because i want to do it so badly
Doink,

I'm unfamiliar with the difference in the 2nd gen setup concerning the airbox. Is the airbox just shaped differently and makes the deckplate impossible or is there some performance based issue? Different shape air filter too? Just curious why the deckplate can't be done?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

air box is completely different, round, no room for large holes to be cut. is that right? I was looking over a buddy's '92 and didn't see much that could be done. I would say just buy a K&N filter only (not the FIPK) and that is as much flow as you're gonna need. People will say it will be dusty, but it would be the same as a FIPK. Maybe less, and at least you'll still have the factory snorkel for piece of mind. Or just stick with the stock filters because they will do the best job of filtering. I think that no matter which way you go with intake, the only noticeable difference in performance will be the sound. unless you're supercharging or turbocharging.....

I think this is what he's talking about when he's talking about cutting up his airbox.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 10-14-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Doink,

I'm unfamiliar with the difference in the 2nd gen setup concerning the airbox. Is the airbox just shaped differently and makes the deckplate impossible or is there some performance based issue? Different shape air filter too? Just curious why the deckplate can't be done?

Thanks!

Brian
I'm not Doink, but I know the answer.

The 3rd gen airboxes have a nice flat side in the front of the box for cutting a hole and mounting the deckplate. The 2nd gen boxes have no flat sides and are pretty much round throughout. Even the bottom itself is curved. So no deckplate for us.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Churnd
I'm not Doink, but I know the answer.

The 3rd gen airboxes have a nice flat side in the front of the box for cutting a hole and mounting the deckplate. The 2nd gen boxes have no flat sides and are pretty much round throughout. Even the bottom itself is curved. So no deckplate for us.
what he said, except i am doink
Old 10-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FIPK for the 2nd gens with the 3.0L, works very well.
(can do it cheaper, just cut out bottom of airbox)

Deckplate and Amsoil for the 3rd gens with a 3.4L
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Deckplate and Amsoil for the 3rd gens with a 3.4L
What's a Deckplate and Amsoil? (I'm new to my truck)

Can someone please explain, I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks

Juggalo
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a link to the deckplate mod (it's in the tech section of this webpage)
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech.../deckplate.htm

As far as Amsoil - it's a foam filter that uses an oil to catch the little things that like to fly around in the air.
Here's a link to the washing instructions (also found in the tech section)
http://www.hboss.net/4runner/amsoil-filter-cleaning.htm

If you're looking at more mods I'd suggest checking out the TECH section here as it's REALLY cool
Bob (Bob_98SR5) has a good website where all his write-ups are too. They're all very detailed and thorough.
http://www.4runners.org

He's also an Amsoil dealer so if you're looking at buying an Amsoil filter you can look him up.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't you try this? It's a K&N cone, Vibrant MAF adaptor, Vibrant 2 1/4 45 degree and home-brew brackets and fittings.
Attached Thumbnails FIPK or cut out my airbox?-intake.jpg  
Old 10-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

truckmike,
Do you think you could give me the part number for the K&N cone? I thought about going that route but wasn't too sure because they've got quite a few with different dimensions.

Thanks

EDIT: If anyone else has a K&N cone filter on thier 2nd gen, could you please give me the part number?

Last edited by AgRunner06; 10-14-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by AgRunner06
truckmike,
Do you think you could give me the part number for the K&N cone? I thought about going that route but wasn't too sure because they've got quite a few with different dimensions.

Thanks

EDIT: If anyone else has a K&N cone filter on thier 2nd gen, could you please give me the part number?
It's RE0930 -- six inches long (tapered cone) with a three-inch inlet -- I feel it's the largest size cone one can practically fit without too much work. I could have gone larger, but I would have had to drill extra holes and made more complicated brackets to support the air flow meter.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by truckmike26
It's RE0930 -- six inches long (tapered cone) with a three-inch inlet -- I feel it's the largest size cone one can practically fit without too much work. I could have gone larger, but I would have had to drill extra holes and made more complicated brackets to support the air flow meter.
Thanks

Did you have to make a bracket to support the AFM? I'm sure I can do this because I have access to a shear, cut-off saw, and drill press. How complicated was the bracket?

Where did you get the adapter for the cone filter? I saw one at Autozone. It said that it would fit the older Supra AFM or MAF (not sure which). So I'm guessing that it might fit my AFM too. I'll just have to measure it before I buy it.

Thanks Again

Old 10-16-2003, 05:50 PM

The bracket is nothing more than a piece 1/8 by 1-inch aluminium bent into an "L" with some holes drilled into it. When you remove the factory pipes (it's amazing at how much space there is in there with all that junk outta there! ), the air injection "muffler" that has to come off the main air box because you'll still need it. I stuck a K&N 3/4-inch crankcase breather in place of that curved connecting hose (the one that goes from the "muffler" to the main air box lid).

The adaptor is from Vibrant (PN 1996). The 45 degree, 2-3/4-inch polished bend is also from Vibrant (PN 2880) as is the blue silicone coupler (PN 2184). The airflow meter comes off the air box lid and I attatched the L bracket to the existing holes that held it there. The L bracket bolts to the inner fender to one of the holes from the factory system.

You'll need to slice down the 45 bend lots and find a way so the 2-3/4 O.D matches the truck's factory bend from the throttle body as it's has a bit larger I.D. (wrapped a few rounds of duct tape -- shhh, don't tell! )

It's definately not a bolt-on as lots of trial fitting a cutting-to-size in necessary. But I had tons of fun doing it, it sounds wicked (especially at WOT) and gives some more power. Probalbly doesn't work as well as a true cold-air/shield system, but I like it. Plus, checking the air filter is easy! One other thing is you'll have to drill a hole and adapt a fitting somewhere for the A/C compensator hose (small dia., same location as where the air injection hose connects).

Oh, any import tuner store has this stuff and companies like Ractive and Matrix make the same parts (same parts, different brand name). Feel free to ask anything else.

Quick Reply: FIPK or cut out my airbox?