Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fingers crossed; please just be a head gasket!

Old 02-05-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fingers crossed; please just be a head gasket!

Well, I finally decided to quit pushing my luck before I wound up pushing my truck
I have had some trouble with the old dog recently, namely losing antifreeze and oil. But, oddly, no overheating and no antifreeze in the oil instead just the opposite, oil in the antifreeze! After giving the engine a good washing down so the mechanic won't have to get all dirty I noticed that the antifreeze loss was coming from the back of the head by the area of the hose going to the heater. Hopefully, it is just a loose fitting back there, but I couldn't find it. I have oil floating around in the antifreeze and an oil leak out the back of the head. Fingers are crossed (makes it really hard to type LOL!) that the head either isn't torqued right or there has been a blowout around an oil hole and not a crack in the block or head.
It seems like every time I decide that getting a little stupid with a fancier suspension upgrade than I may really need won't be the worst mistake I've ever made, I get hit with a real repair. Last time, 2 of the studs on the pressure plate by the "fingers" snapped off and cost me a clutch and pressure plate.
Maybe if I just sneaked up on it and did the suspension REALLY fast something else wouldn't break before I had the chance to do it.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:20 PM

What type of Engine are you talking about. On the 22r there is a freeze pulg on the back on engine. Also the oil could be leaking form the valve cover gasket or the rear 'half moon' which get brittle with heat and time. I only have knowledge of the 22R so I'm really just guessing for you.

Nathan
Old 02-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What vehicle, engine and year?
Old 02-06-2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
What vehicle, engine and year?
It is an LC Engineering Street Performer EFI Pro 22re stock crank version (135hp) in an '85 4Runner. The guy doing the work called this morning and already had the head off so I could take it to the machine shop. You could really see the ugly results of running too rich too long. FYI, if you get an LC motor, forget the MAS adjustments they suggest and just crank out the $ for the computer upgrade.
It is currently getting new seals and all cleaned up and readied to be stuck back on there. According to the machine shop the head appeared to be ok other than bad seals on the back two exhaust valves and lots of soot. Kicking myself for letting it go as long as I did, but frankly I didn't even notice it was running so rich for a long time till one day I noticed a big black spot on the garage wall
The guy that pulled the head said that when he went pull the head studs that a couple of them were loose. Hopefully, the head was just loose as a result and that was where I was getting the problems. Fingers still crossed something else doesn't show up! I'd really like to actually have this rig running right long enough to stick some new suspension under it and start having some fun with it again :mad: