Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally have pics of mods

Old 06-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally have pics of mods

I finally have some pictures of the mods done over the past few months. Click on my signature to check them out.

Here's the list of things done:

- SAW Torsion Bars
- Clinometer
- Fender Flares
- Rock Sliders

The sliders are Maniac Metal Works picked up from Xtreme Off-Road. Thanks Mike!

Matt
Old 06-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice. I am digging that inclinometer set-up. Maybe I should have got that one instead. What did that one run you if you dont mind me asking?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Picked it up at Performance Products for $22. I'm not sure if they sell them any longer, but I know 4x4Connection has them.

Matt
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 AM

Looking real good!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Very sharp looking Runner. Very nice!

Don't see that color very much. Guess that makes 2 of us.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Darren,

Nice rig! I think yours is darker than mine. In 91, it was a special order color. I lucked out because I got it as a dealer demo with about 5K miles on it.

Matt
Old 06-10-2003, 11:45 AM

Very nice!

Hey how do you like your tires? Are those what you have on in the mudding pic? If so, how did they do? I want to get a set of those BFG AT's, I wouldn't be doing much mudding, but you never know. Ever had them on snow or icy roads? Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I know mine is a darker blue. I was just saying they are both uncommon. A big thumbs up nevertheless! Those flares really look great (as do the other items).
Old 06-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Erich_870,

Yes, those are the same tires. I've had no problems with them. While they don't get traction as good as mud tires, they last a lot longer on the road. I'm about 80% on road and 20% off road, so getting mud tires wasn't practical for me as they'd be eaten up by the pavement in about 20K or 30K miles. My last set of AT's I got about 80K--may have gotten a little more, but I punctured the tire near the sidewall and it couldn't be repaired.

We got quite a bit of snow in DC this past winter, and I never got stuck. I did have some minor traction issues on powdery snow. I just had to keep it slow and steady. As far as ice, about the only thing you'll get traction with are tank tracks!

I like the aggressive tread and solid performance, but there are other tires out there that other people endorse on yotatech. I think it's just a matter of your personal preference and your usage.

Darren,

Thanks! Cost a lot, but I like the outcome. I don't see too many 3rd Gen blue Runners around DC. I think only one in the past year. There's a guy down the street that has a 92 with the same color as mine. I like to be a bit different!

Matt

Last edited by richeyma; 06-10-2003 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:11 PM

Very nice and clean looking rig! I like the rear tire carrier you have back there. Really looking good!!

Where did you get your fender flares from and how much did it cost you, if you don't mind? I have just ordered Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender flares from PP for $275.90 two pairs. And if you don't mind, did you use OEM mudguards for front and rear? If so, do you have part numbers? As soon as I receive them fender flares, I will be removing my running boards, then again I need some mudguards/flaps to protect the underside of rocker panel.
Let me know if you have some part numbers and thanks.

Noel
Old 06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Looks real nice. We need to get together some weekend and find some trails or mud. I saw some pics of guys going down some power lines in Leesburg and I've been exploring some of the new housing developments off Lee Highway and Route 66.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

richeyma

--
who did ya get to install your torsion bars? and how much was it>
Old 06-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Had a few questions from you guys, so instead of responding one post at a time, I'll do it in one. Just scroll down for your name to find the answer...and thanks for all the great responses! I enjoy looking at other 4Runners to give me ideas, so I'm glad to see you enjoy as well.

Matt

4x4CPOSEADOG,

I got my flares at Performance Products as well. I picked them up last fall when they had their 15% off sale, but I can't remember exactly what I paid for them, but they were around $280 for the set of four--I chose to go with the textured finish as I didn't want to copy Corey's rig exactly

The mud flaps are OEM. I got the idea from Corey--they are from a '91 Toyota Truck. The front ones fit on exactly in the holes that are there. I read Corey's article about the rear ones (he picked up a rear set of truck flaps and did a little modding to them to make them work. I was looking at the front ones and noticed that the holes just about line up with the holes in the rear except they're at a bit of an angle. It's sort of hard to describe, so I'll take some pictures of what I did. I didn't need to tap into the flares like Corey did to secure it, but I did tack a piece of rubber in the fender well to prevent mud from being thrown back to the bumper. I don't have the part numbers handy, so I'll go look them up when I get home and let you know.

Roadrunner,

That sounds great! Send me an e-mail and we can talk about getting together. I've done some trail rides down near Madison VA, but it's about an hour/hour and a half trek. Leesburg is a bit closer.

doink,

I installed them myself. It would have been much easier with two people to get the torsion bar teeth lined up correctly, but I managed to do it myself in about 2.5 hours. If you search yotatech for "torsion bar", you'll find some articles on how to do it, or you can e-mail me and I can tell ya the issues I had. Although the ride is a bit firmer, I definitely recommend doing it as it's not too expensive. I was forced into it because I had the stock ones cranked as far as I could go, but the front was nose down. After replacing, I cranked about half as much as the stock to even her out.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

4x4CPOSEADOG,

Couple of things about the fender flares. One, don't follow the instructions given when they tell you to use the dimples in the flares for the holes. Some of them don't line up with any sheet metal. Your best bet is to have a person hold the flare in place and then mark/drill the holes starting from the middle of the flare--once I knew what I was doing, that seemed to work best for me.

Second, if you get plastic screws and inserts with yours like I did with mine, I recommend going to the local hardware store and getting sheet metal screws and washers. The plastic screws didn't hold for jack squat. I bought some stainless steel screws and washers and they worked well. Get 1/8" larger screws than the drill bit you use. (i.e. if you're using a 1/4" drill bit, get 3/8" screws).

Matt
Old 06-10-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pics. Looking REALLY good!!

I especially like the TV in the garage.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

yep, those are some nice mods you've done there.

and i like that bumper.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM

Thats one nice lookin' rig!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Nice rig. VERY clean.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:24 PM

richeyma,

Thanks for all the tip. Now, I know what to do once the flares arrive at my door. I'll get some stainless steel fasteners at Lowe's as soon as I get my flare.

Again, nice looking rig and thank you.

Noel
Old 06-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

calrockx,

First, yes, Cal does rock. I miss living out there. About the only thing I regret is forever being a San Diego Chargers and Padres fan!

Second, there's nothing special about the bumper and the tire carrier-- just plain stock. Toyota only made the rear tire carrier for the 1990 and 1991 4Runners that came with 31x10.5 tires because that large of tire could not fit underneath the rear end. In 1992 they redesigned the rear to allow for the bigger tire to be mounted underneath.

cebby,

As far as the TV, I had to make some big sacrifices with my wife to get that thing installed. It's especially great to have during football season. I can spend the whole day watching TV without being called a couch potato since I can get some work done at the same time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally have pics of mods