Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Filling the void. What to put in the spare tire mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling the void. What to put in the spare tire mount?

I just installed a lift with bigger tires on my 4runner and the full size spare doesn't fit in the old location anymore. I ran a search to see if anybody else was utilizing that space and ran into some great ideas with air tanks and possibly relocating the fuel tank. I found on expedition portal that someone(w/nissan frontier) has mounted an onboard water system with there water tank in that space.
I was wondering if anybody has fitted a similar system in there 4runner and what there opinion was of it? I surf quite a bit and having a wash out station in the truck would be helpful with keeping the sand out of the truck.
I'm also open to other mods if anyone has something they would recommend. thanks

cutter

heres a link to the expedition portal vehicle to understand what I'm talking about
http://www.expeditionportal.com/edit...ier-part2.html
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM

ive never heard of this before, but its an awesome idea. Id just be worried about puncturing the tank, id put a big skid plate under there if i could. it looks like he runs his hoses out the bed of his truck, it would be harder in a 4runner just because its enclosed. its a cool idea though, and probably not too expensive if you can find the right tank for the right price
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A water system would be cool. You wouldn't need that big of one for a quick rinse off. Maybe there could still be room for an axillary fuel tank. I have always felt that the range was a little lacking.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very cool. Being a surfer myself, Id be stoked on a little shower like that. Mainly cause it would just make all my buddies jealous.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM

I was thinking of putting the nozzle and pump switch in the tiny rear storage compartment on the passenger side. I think there would be enough room in the compartment to have enough hose to reach a decent way outside of the truck. I would probably think that I would try to fab up a filler where the insert for lowering the spare tire is. I want to keep it as clean as possible and maintain a stock look with the tailgate up. His chrome filler is to flashy for me.
The tank will be the hardest part, I work for a drilling company and have access to pipe cut offs that will fit nicely but would prefer a plastic tank that wont rust. The main concerns for me right now is finding a way mount it so that it stays in place and finding a way to clean it. I figure that the tank can be mounted into a frame with the skid plate on the bottom and welded to the frame but preferably bolted so it can be removed easier. I'm also worried that a plastic tank rubbing against metal will rub holes in it pretty quick so finding a way to keep it tight without damaging it.....maybe UHMW shims.
The pump and hardware will be easy as I live in a pleasure boat mecca. Maybe put 2 switches in circuit so the pump cant be turned on when bouncing around when wheeling....hahaha that would suck having 10 gallons of water pumped into the rear cargo area.
Im going to find a tank that fits and find out how much it weighs when fully loaded. I have LC coils in the rear so I doubt that extra weight is going to effect it to much..hopefully help level out the truck better.
If anybody has input on this project before I start, I'm all ears. Am I over looking anything? thanks

cutter
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM

what size tires do you have now? Have you tried to let some air out of your full sized spare and then put it under?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 PM

I would put a second gas tank under there, I dont know about you but I am tierd of filling up every 300-325 kms. I am also looking into putting a second tank under there. Some early 90's F150's have a rear mounted tank that would fit great.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

run it on the drivers side. theres an air vent behind the left rear bumper that opens to the rear cargo. ill find ya a pic
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

heres how i found it. to get to it, you have to remove the left side rear bumper and its right there in your face.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...w-clean-90784/
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.4x4norcal.com/forum/index.php?topic=132.0
Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
These

Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 AM

http://www.bajataco.com/shower.html here is a write up on a camp shower set up that may help.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM

I haven't tried airing down the spare yet but I had a hard time with my old one when it was inflated. I would rather keep the spare in the back properly inflated until I can put in an on board air system.
BIC performance- I seem to get better mileage then you, I get over 400km on a tank. But the idea of having more fuel is definitely appealing. I looked into that before I ran across the on board water option but I think I will enjoy the washout station more then the extra cruising distance. After all, its just the island. I can hit a gas station within an hour of anywhere
fireteacher & survivorman- Thanks for those links, they're going to come in handy when I'm thinking about pump and switch placement
wabbit- Its a shame that so many douche bag rig pigs have those on their trucks. They really took the fun out of it.
I'm going to try and collect all the pieces this weekend if I don't get to side tracked. I will post up my install after its done