Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Few q's about engine/idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few q's about engine/idle

Hey guys, noticed a few things from the runner today and was wondering if anything was wrong or if its normal. Ok, first, after I seafoamed, changed the plugs, cleaned the maf and the tb, it seems that the exhaust sputter sounded a bit different than before (this is magnified by the louder muffler). Inside it idles a bit higher than before on cold start at around 1100 rpm. The engine doesnt shake, the wheel doesnt vibrate, the rpms are constant, and power and acceleration feels good but if you listen and feel it carefully, I swear I can feel/hear it fluctuating a little. Is it all in my head or is there something the matter? Maybe I messed up on a plug or sometihng? Wouldnt that cause it to throw a cel, idle rough, or lose power or something though? Another thing is that while unloading stuff I left the engine running and the a/c on and noticed that the runner sounded funny and would surge a bit every few seconds. Went inside and saw that it would fluctuate up a hundred or so rpm. Is this normal as well or is there something wrong here? I know the a/c takes power to run but having never noticed this before I dont know if it ever did this before or if it just started.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the idle on my 87 runner flucuates up and down a couple hundred rpm sometimes too. i don't worry about it, as long as it's still running strong and not idling too rough or too low i'd just let it be. maybe keep your eye on it until you REALLY hear that something's wrong.... when there's no doubt in your mind that something's not right. haha. that's what i always do and half the time there's nothing wrong. i get paranoid too and think i'm hearing problems that aren't there. just some words of advice.