Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fed up with the LC coils...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fed up with the LC coils...

I installed the 7 wrap LC coils about two weeks ago... For one, the rake is horrible... second... these things are soft as heck compared to the Downeys i replaced them with... They feel all squishy... When the wind blows now, I feel alot more swaying than before... I can literally make the rear end bounce up and down...

When I brake, the Runner nose dives then squat... This was never an issue with the Downey's... By the way I'm running Billie HD's also... I thought the Billies would make the ride firmer...

I'm probably going to reinstall my Downey's this weekend and see if I indeed hate the LC coils ride characteristics.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks
Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 AM

Your sig says "Tundra front coils" and "LC front coils". So what is it?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hugo
Your sig says "Tundra front coils" and "LC front coils". So what is it?
He's running front LC coils on the rear of the Runner.

I've had the LC coils on now for about a year and love them! The ride is soft and articulation is excellent. I agree that they're a tad soft, but have never run the Downey's so I can't compare them. My rig dives a little under extremely hard braking too, but not all that bad.

Mine sits about 1.5" higher in the rear too. Although I like the raked look, I'd like to bring the front up a little. I was thinking the Tundra setup with two top out spacers. How many top outs are you running? Sorry to hear you don't like the LC's!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grimpy, the Downeys or a set of 890's would probably give you the ride and stance you're looking for.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
LC coils in the rear are too much lift IMO compared to what is best in the front and NO you don't want to run two top spacers.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 AM

I have 3" Downey rear springs laying around...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

I ran the same LC coils and hated them. Ride was too soft and rake was terrrrrrible. The handling was god aweful. I replaced them with 891's and everything is much better. Stance is perfect and it has a much firmer ride.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

IMO, you are missing 2 things that are needed for these springs to work well:
  1. A Custom Heavy Rear Bumper - the extra weight changes the ride and handling characteristics, remember these were designed to hold a heavy in-line 6 cyl in a LC.
  2. A need for off-road performance - there is no way to lift a vehicle and maintain that stock feel on the highway, braking changes, body roll changes, dive and pitch change, etc.

I ran the 891's for almost 3 years. I got tired of the horribly stiff ride on the street, although they did work well off road.

I think the LC's provide a nice balance of street manners and off-road prowess.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM

Wierd - I just took off my downeys/bilstiens and replaced with LC coils and shocks and the ride is soooooo much better and not too soft at all (in my opinion). I really have to jump up and down on the rear to get it to bounce. With my heavy rear bumper I hardly have any rake at all. I'm really enjoying my new LC rear setup.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds to me like you really need a heavy rear bumper to make the LC coils work properly.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Thats weird.... I have LC Coils on my rear with LC shocks and she is pretty stiff...not soft. I dont have body roll, etc...

It seems that alot of people have different findings with different years/wraps/etc of the LC coils. Mine got me 4 inches of rear lift too.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 AM

I just did mine and the wife doesn't care for the rake either. I made sure I went with the mellow ones! I have the 2.5 inch spacers in the front and it still has quite a rake to it. I personally don't like the top heavy feeling I'm getting from it. So, I think I may be pulling them back off. Anyone interested lemme know. I've got a brand new set of OEM LC shocks to go with. Spring are Double purple, blue white, double purple, Lt blue white.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
It seems that a lot of people have different findings with different years/wraps/etc of the LC coils. Mine got me 4 inches of rear lift too.
True...the research has been done to verify what works.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 AM

This is probally one of the better threads concerning the LC Coil theory. You gotta read through the whole thread to get the best info. Alot of good comparisons....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...3rd+generation

Last edited by ROOFGOOF; 03-14-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm... We'll see when I re-install the Downeys...

I think you guys may be right though that I do not have enough weight in the rear or something...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:41 AM

Currently, I am running the 8 Wrap FJ coils from a 92 with tundra quad cab non-TRD springs and 3 top out spacers up front. Its about a 1.25 inch rake and i have a set of 7 wrappers on the way and plan to take out 2 top out spacers. I really like the way the coils are soft at first, but as they compress they stiffen quickley to give you great on road ride with substantially improved offroad capability compared to the stiffer OME's. Not sure about downey's. I too have a heavy rear due to a 120 lb. subwoofer/box combo and they may lead to my better feel.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I've had the LC coils on now for about a year and love them! The ride is soft and articulation is excellent.
You can't beat the articulation for that price!

However... I have to say the coils are SO soft that aside from the horrible road driving, and body roll, (she doesn;t have the name Tippy Bi@tch for nuthing) when trying to climb a steep obstacle (espcially with my underpowered engine) Tippy will mush down on those rear coils - and then lose some traction up front, making it harder to climb steep things.

I am going to either replace my LC coils with leafs, OR add another set of stiff shocks. (Ideas anyone???) I'll miss my articulation but it just isn't worth all the tipiness and loss of climbing power IMHO.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM

i dont have swaybars and its not soft or tippy. i dont have a rear bumper either.

shocks blown out perhaps?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

I just picked up a boat today and while towing back, the ride did feel better... I don't plan on changing my rear bumper nor roll around with sand bags in the trunk so most likely these will be coming off and staying off...

Quick Reply: Fed up with the LC coils...