Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Favorite Headlight Bulbs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Favorite Headlight Bulbs??

Ok I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right area or not but when I did a search for headlight related stuff it took me here..

I just had a light go out in my 4 runner.. I went to replace the bulb so I looked for some info here first. Didn't find what I wanted so I just looked and bought some new ones.

I ended up buying Xenon cyber white. What I'm wondering is what kind you all buy for your rigs? I'm not super happy with their brightness but of course I want to stay legal.

what numbers are legal? I just replaced mine with what I had. 55/60 I believe.

So what brands do you use? How do you like them and what wattage?

( if this is wrong area I apologize)
Old 10-30-2004, 04:00 AM
Banned

I use the Vision Plus by Phillips. I believe i got them from www.autolamps-online.com. They work pretty well. hope this helps

matt
Old 10-30-2004, 07:50 AM

i use and love philips weathervision, fantastic for any thype of inclimate weather you can throw at it.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I use the Vision Plus by Phillips. I believe i got them from www.autolamps-online.com. They work pretty well. hope this helps

matt
Same here Vision Plus!!!!
Old 10-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Del

I picked up a pair of $27 bulbs from Kragen. They've been in for over 2 years through freezing temps in Mammoth to the hot So. Cal. weather. They're the brightest I've tried, and honestly, I think I'd waste my money if I tried looking for a brighter pair (other than HID's).
Old 10-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

PIAA Xtreme Whites are what we use on our Honda Pilot and are pretty good. They light up the road pretty good, but they are quite pricey. I've got some Sylvania SilverStars on the Taco and work just as well.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:08 PM

I think it was the Sylvania SilverStars that I had also seen there and they had a little pic on the back comparing their brightness to regular halogen and the cool blue ones. They were like $35.00 a pair and my cyber whites were like $17 a pair. Since I hadn't researched them at all I thought I'd just try the ones I got this time and do the research next time.
I saw alot of the bulbs comparing to Hid. What exactly is that?
Old 10-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Mrs. C:

HIDs are High Intensity Discharge lights. They can be found on most newer cars. They emit light at a very high intensity, but don't have the high temperatures as with regular halogen bulbs. The light is much whiter and brighter than the halogens and require a retrofit kit if you do plan to get them. They run over $300 for the kit. You can see these HIDs on those European cars like Bimmers and Porsche. That's the gist of HIDs, hope that helps ya out!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the PIAA's also. Going on 3 years...
Old 10-30-2004, 03:05 PM

Thanks humanoid. I appreciate the answer. I know my headlight assembly has been upgraded somehow I will just have to find out how. I deffinatly want something brighter seeing as how the rain every day season has started.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

I've yet to get around to buying a pair, but I remember a thread a while back where a brand called Osram was compared favorably with the Sylvania's. I believe they are both availble from autolamps-online.com, so a comparison (at least based on manufacturer info) is possible. I keep thinking I'll get a pair for myself and another for my mom's camry..maybe before winter hits.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Hi there Humanoid. I knew we'd cross paths in these forums eventually. Thanks for steering me here. I should mention that I put the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in my Runner. They made a nice improvement over the stock bulbs.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

55/100W all weather something, $6/piece
Old 10-30-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ianshoots
I've yet to get around to buying a pair, but I remember a thread a while back where a brand called Osram was compared favorably with the Sylvania's. I believe they are both availble from autolamps-online.com, so a comparison (at least based on manufacturer info) is possible. I keep thinking I'll get a pair for myself and another for my mom's camry..maybe before winter hits.

Sylvania and Osram are the same company. Sylvania is the US name while Osram is used elsewhere. The Osram Silverstars is a brighter verson of the US Sylvania Silverstars. Both Osram Silverstars and Philips Vision Plus bulbs are available at www.powerbulbs.com

Stay away from any Korean or color/coated bulbs.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I have been using the Sylvania Silverstars for 2 years and like them better than stock. The whiter the lamp, the more glare you'll get in rain and fog, so I put yellowstar bulbs in my fog lights. That way I have it both ways!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scoobs
Hi there Humanoid. I knew we'd cross paths in these forums eventually. Thanks for steering me here. I should mention that I put the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in my Runner. They made a nice improvement over the stock bulbs.
Hey, Scoobs! Nice to see you here finally. For some reason I thought you were on this board already :pat: . I guess it's my old age getting a head start on me .

Anyhoo, I agree with pfdaxe , stay away from the bulbs that are literally painted blue. They usually go for under $10 on eBay... you'll be lucky if they last you a week. BTW, I would stay away from anything over a color temperature of 6000 degrees Kelvin. Your lights will be too blue and since you (Mrs. "C") live in the Great Northwest, it will do you more harm than good in the wet weather. The PIAA Xtreme Whites I have on our Pilot is rated at 4150 degrees and it's just about right for my tastes.

As for the SilverStars, like I said earlier, they are on my Taco and are just a bit whiter than stock bulbs, but not as white as the PIAAs, but they work pretty good in the rain. However, on the Honda Pilot boards, some have had the bulbs go out in just a few months. I've had them on for about 2 years and still going strong . I've heard a lot of good things about the Osram SilverStars. I think I'll give those a try when my current ones give out. Heres the link to the Osram ones from www.powerbulbs.co.uk.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product....hFor=&PT_ID=90
Old 10-31-2004, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
about 6 months ago i switched from sealed beam to hella H4's(not to be confused with vision plus), and it was a night and day difference, they are however not street legal but that sticker comes off and no one is the wiser, i think the bulb i have in it right now is a 55/65 watt and its way bright, the hellas are a little pricey tho. if your lookin for lights go here http://www.rallylights.com/
Old 10-31-2004, 04:44 AM

ok so tell me about the cool blue lights. Is that the lights that give off the blueish glow I see on the roads? Those annoy me for some reason.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:44 AM
Banned

so, I want to get HIDs for my 2000. What kind do I use and what brand is good?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Sylvania and Osram are the same company. Sylvania is the US name while Osram is used elsewhere. The Osram Silverstars is a brighter verson of the US Sylvania Silverstars. Both Osram Silverstars and Philips Vision Plus bulbs are available at www.powerbulbs.com

Stay away from any Korean or color/coated bulbs.
I've the sneaking suspicion I got most of what I;m passing on from reading one of your posts....I think autolamps ships from europe, what about powerbulbs? Have they pre-imported the Osrams?

Daylight savings time here! Perhaps I will get around to buying some now.

Quick Reply: Favorite Headlight Bulbs??