YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Fan Deckplate Mod

Hey Guys, name is Ben. Decided to joined yotatech a few days ago after making the decision to start working on my 98' SR5 4runner turning it into a Offroadable rig.

But to the point, today as I was doing the deckplate mod on my rig, i finished cutting the hole and noticed that there was more that could be done. Iunno if this has been suggested or debated (searched some combinations of words didnt come up with anything). But the idea was to add a Fan behind the deck plate thus creating something like a force induction air intake. I dont know if this would work so i am throwing the idea out, but after i do the ISR mod tomorrow, I am thinking about going to a local radio shack or computer parts store and seeing if I can retro fit a fan in addition to the Deck plate. Please give me your thoughts about this idea.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
btruong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Do a little quick math and see how much volume flow the fan would need to create to actually help. You could very easily stick a fan in there and find it to only hamper airflow.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Sponsoring Member
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Yeup, what RB said... What you're looking at doing is kinda' down the lines of those folks that sell the leaf blower type rigs for your intake on eBay.

You simply won't be able to move enough air that way to make a difference.
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
midiwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Waste of time and $$$.
X-AWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #5

Hey I got an idea Why don't you mount one of these to your intake. you coulld control the throtthe with a cable of some sort.
Click the image to open in full size.
We are the people bred, raised and nurtured to maturation to live life in the pursuit of acquiring status-ensuring product in a never ending pilgrimage to find value in ourselves through the indulgence of materialism...gotta love it
oh yea, 98 4x4 ltd for sale
MARSHALLMAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #6

there actually is a video online where a 1.6L civic dynoed 15hp more with a leaf blower attatched to the intake, but on our engines that wouldnt work, not enough cfm

Silver 2000 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 5spd SR5
Now with URD short shifter and
Milled polyurethane shifter seat
Hella FF1000 Driving Lights
2KTacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to HaveBlue
Hey guys!
Last night I ran a piece of PVC pipe from my intake a "T" in my upper radiator hose. I figure if the coolant will keep my engine cool, it'll keep my intake air cool. I had to add like 12 more quarts of coolant. I figure that's a good thing, too. More coolant = cooler engine, right?
I haven't started it yet, but if it works, I'm going to call it "direct intake-to-water intercooler"
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Contributing Member

How is the mod cooling the intake air? There does need to be something to remove the heat.
X-AWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to HaveBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver View Post
How is the mod cooling the intake air? There does need to be something to remove the heat.
The coolant itself is going into the intake. I figure this was easier and WAY cheaper than one of those expensive "cold air intake" kits. What a waste of money. All I have to do is have the coolant pour into the intake.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 03-24-2007 at 09:38 AM.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Hey guys!
Last night I ran a piece of PVC pipe from my intake a "T" in my upper radiator hose. I figure if the coolant will keep my engine cool, it'll keep my intake air cool. I had to add like 12 more quarts of coolant. I figure that's a good thing, too. More coolant = cooler engine, right?
I haven't started it yet, but if it works, I'm going to call it "direct intake-to-water intercooler"

Allright, be nice to the new guy here. There may be a reason he has only posted one time.....

Just remember, some people thought leonardo davinci was a lunatic. But where would we be without him?

ON topic, you have to look at PSI. Think about the size of blower needed just to gain 5-15 psi, then look at that computer fan. It cannot push enough CFM to positively affect an engines performance. In fact, as stated, may only hinder it since the deckplate mod you just performed is being blocked by a slow moving fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Contributing Member

I posted something similar awhile back from a small fan unit I saw on ebay. In theory it's a great idea, but exactly from what the guys above said.
1998 4Runner SR5, Surco Safari rack, diff breather mod, Cobra WXST II CB radio, 31" General Grabber AT2 tires, clear corner/bumper lens, hitch mount backup lamps, KC hilites, PIAA fog lamps, PCV catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofer
"ohhh you are one hot 4runner, look at that flex... oh yeahhhh"
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
Yeah...
Teens these days...
(granted I am 19 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
i don't want your pile of crap, i have my own, i just want your pieces off your pile of crap.
Ironmike4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Ben, it's a great thought you had, but there have been MANY before you coming up with the same or similar ideas and in fact they make up 99% of the electric supercharger garbage on eBay. I don't want to delve into why it won't work, but it suffices to say that the positive pressure generated by a cheap fan placed in the airbox is nowhere near sufficient to do anything performance-wise let alone even keep up with even basic engine air requirements.

There is only one electric fan setup that actually does anything:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/index.html

.....and the drawback is you can only use it in short bursts like nitrous.

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-24-2007 at 02:30 PM.
MTL_4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to RadRacer'86
coolant in the intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Hey guys!
Doesn't that mean that the coolent is in with pistons and valve train? Couldn't it get into the oil? Maybe I don't understand what you said but its seems like a very bad idea if I do. If you haven't started it yet I would get all that out and change and flush your oil.

I'm looking for a new one now, '84 or '85, with either a 22R (not the 22RE or 22RT-E) or a Chevy 350. I'm gonna drive it from Kansas City to Sacramento and then up to Anchorage.
RadRacer'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRacer'86 View Post
Doesn't that mean that the coolent is in with pistons and valve train? Couldn't it get into the oil? Maybe I don't understand what you said but its seems like a very bad idea if I do. If you haven't started it yet I would get all that out and change and flush your oil.
He was SORTA being a smartass......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #15

Yeah...I'm pretty sure HaveBlue was poking fun at some of the...more interesting ideas out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr1 View Post
Are you a girl? I don't know any guys that would ask that question.
HuskyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyRunner View Post
Yeah...I'm pretty sure HaveBlue was poking fun at some of the...more interesting ideas out there.
You think?!

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
MTL_4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement