Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fairly silly hilift question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fairly silly hilift question

hey, I finally went and picked up a hi-lift, and I want to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing with it. So I have a fairly simple question that I could probably try experimentally, but there's potential for a loud "bang" if I'm wrong, so I thought I'd just check.

I can put the beast in "up" mode, and it does its lifting thing just fine. When I kick the thing out of "up" mode with the lever, the travel assembly becomes free sliding, and drops immediately to the ground. Is this just because I'm messing around with no load on the tongue?

Yes, I did read the instructions. Yes, the handle was in the locked and upright position.

The obvious test of lifting the truck instead of just messing around with it empty is my next recourse, but I thought I'd check if I'm just being stupid first.

Also, I had no luck searching for this, but I recall someone had fabbed a gizmo to make lifting off round slider bars a little safer/more secure? anyone remember what I'm talking about?

thanks!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The instructions say you need to have about 150lbs of weight on it to keep it from sliding down free.

Your other question can be answered on this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/do-you-carry-floor-jack-lift-26846/

Last edited by Darx; 02-18-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Cool! Thanks Darx. Must have missed that 150 lbs thing. Grrrrr.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

I only know this because I did the same thing fooling around with mine and then reread the part about lifting and lowering it. I believe it was in a caution box in the instructions?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:57 PM

The lack of weight is exactly the reason.

Without sounding like an old woman, be careful with that thing. It is a necessary trail tool, not something to dink around with or use regularly in the garage.

Hi-Lifts are quick and convenient, but dangerous.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

ah, shaddap you ol' windbag!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

So does getting that foot plate thingy make a hi-lift more stable for garage use? Or is that just not advisable period?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think I would use it for anything but emrgencies myself. They're heavy and unforgiving and if you don't mind what you're doing with the thing at all times you're going to get your ass kicked by it.

I did get the "off road plate" for it which it sits in and provides a wider base but I still don't trust it. I look at it as a necessary evil.

The instructions for the Roger Brown body lifts say to use one for the lift but I don't know about that. Maybe if I had another set of hands to hold it while I did the work.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Without sounding like an old woman, be careful with that thing. It is a necessary trail tool, not something to dink around with or use regularly in the garage.

Hi-Lifts are quick and convenient, but dangerous.
Actually, that's precisely why I am "messing around" with it. I firmly believe in learning how to use any emergency gear before I need it. I have all the little accessories for it as well, so I want to make sure I'm comfortable with all of it before even bothering to take it into the boonies.

I'd sure hate to be peeling the shrink wrap off something for the first time when I'm stuck in the mud, and it's raining, and getting dark, and three of you people are stuck behind me on the trail, and ... The jack would be the least of my problems then!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottiac
Also, I had no luck searching for this, but I recall someone had fabbed a gizmo to make lifting off round slider bars a little safer/more secure? anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Just to be sure you don't miss it ('cause you REALLY want this), Darx is referring to my comment in the other thread of:

...you need to get in touch with Jeff at BadLand Bumpers and order up the "Badland Jack Kradle", It's the only way to really lift on sliders

http://www.badlandbumpers.com/Index_files/KRADLE55.jpg
http://www.badlandbumpers.com/

Last edited by midiwall; 02-18-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Just to be sure you don't miss it ('cause you REALLY want this), Darx is referring to my comment in the other thread of:

...you need to get in touch with Jeff at BadLand Bumpers and order up the "Badland Jack Kradle", It's the only way to really lift on
oh, I assure you, I didn't miss it. I ordered mine over an hour ago!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darx
I don't think I would use it for anything but emrgencies myself. They're heavy and unforgiving and if you don't mind what you're doing with the thing at all times you're going to get your ass kicked by it.

I did get the "off road plate" for it which it sits in and provides a wider base but I still don't trust it. I look at it as a necessary evil.

The instructions for the Roger Brown body lifts say to use one for the lift but I don't know about that. Maybe if I had another set of hands to hold it while I did the work.
Roger suggests that if you use a hi-lift, to kick the plate under the tire somewhat. It will help to anchor it. Still not failsafe though.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Roger suggests that if you use a hi-lift, to kick the plate under the tire somewhat. It will help to anchor it. Still not failsafe though.
Yes, that's still a bit sketchy. When I finally get around to installing the lift I'll see how it looks and go from there with a helper.