Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fabtech 6" & 6" Leafkit rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabtech 6" & 6" Leafkit rear

I am buying the Tacoma 6" suspension for my 3rd Gen LTD & the 6" all Pro leaf kit for the rear well actualy the 4"+Shackles. Does anyone else have this setup ? or anyone else have a 3rd gen with 6" of lift besies the SAS guys. I want to look at it thanx
Old 02-15-2004, 12:38 PM

bump anyone ? I would love to see a 3rd gen suspended 6" i cant seem to find any
Old 02-15-2004, 12:43 PM
CTB

Originally Posted by LT_Z
bump anyone ? I would love to see a 3rd gen suspended 6" i cant seem to find any
Do a search and look for Breezey's rig...he converted to leaves in the rear of his 3rd Gen, and then did a SAS.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Mine is a hair over 6" but I am still coiled in the rear and of course I am SASed too. I think Breezey has that setup before he went SA

Last edited by 44Runner; 02-15-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:12 PM

How did you 6" coil in the rear ? what did you do for links ? can I do the same or is the leaf a better way to go ?
Old 02-15-2004, 02:22 PM

How did you 6" coil in the rear ? what did you do for links ? can I do the same or is the leaf a better way to go ?
It is easier to stay coil, better is a matter of opinion. I used OME coils and cornfed spacers and fabbed custom brackets to move the panhard rod up off the axle and down off the frame to level it back out...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM

Ok so If I OME coil and Cornbred what all else has to be modded ? Basically Im thinking whichever weighs out to be cheapest as long as its not waay more work. Lemme know what you think.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:00 PM

44R How much would you say it is to lift the rear like you did ? and would you be interested in making me a pan hard bracket....for a small fee

lemme know ! thanx!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:32 PM

44R How much would you say it is to lift the rear like you did ? and would you be interested in making me a pan hard bracket....for a small fee

lemme know ! thanx!
150 for the OME coils + shipping
150 for the spacers + shipping
bracket and hardware probably ran me about 15 bucks

the bracket is not hard to make, but I don't have a drill press. I used the one at school for mine. I normally would hook you up but currently my life is too damn crazy. I would gladly take pictures of mine and send them to you. They are made out of 2x2x.25" square tubing.

OR if you buy my truck, the brackets come with the truck...

Shameless plug
this truck selling talk is starting to get me down...
Old 02-17-2004, 08:51 PM

There`s a bunch of 4runners here that run the trailmaster 6in kit in the front and the shop that installs them told me he uses Bronco rear coils for the rear, no spacers. I don`t know if it`s the Bronco II or fullsize but you could call and find out, Maui Offroad.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jboy
There`s a bunch of 4runners here that run the trailmaster 6in kit in the front and the shop that installs them told me he uses Bronco rear coils for the rear, no spacers. I don`t know if it`s the Bronco II or fullsize but you could call and find out, Maui Offroad.
I am no Ford guy, but I don't recall Broncos ever having rear coils....
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 44Runner
I am no Ford guy, but I don't recall Broncos ever having rear coils....
I don`t know that either but Jeff at Maui Offroad did say Bronco coils and a bit of magic. Must be the front coils. I asked about this because before I went with the lift I have now, I really liked the look of the Tacoma Trailmaster 6in kit, yet there was nothing for the rear of the 4runner and that is what he told me they used (bronco coils). I asked about the ride quality and he said it is STIFF. That there turned me off from that lift, not to mention the price, then came SAW and the ease of installing for a do it yourselfer like myself.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jboy
I don`t know that either but Jeff at Maui Offroad did say Bronco coils and a bit of magic. Must be the front coils. I asked about this because before I went with the lift I have now, I really liked the look of the Tacoma Trailmaster 6in kit, yet there was nothing for the rear of the 4runner and that is what he told me they used (bronco coils). I asked about the ride quality and he said it is STIFF. That there turned me off from that lift, not to mention the price, then came SAW and the ease of installing for a do it yourselfer like myself.
That is why I pointed that out. Front coils in the rear would be stiff as hell. The ride would suck and it wouldn't flex worth crap. It has been my experience that there are a ton of Show truck types on the Islands and they probably don't care as long as it looks good...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:42 AM

44runner, did you get new longer upper and lower links too, or just the adjusted panhard bar? What about shocks and location of the shocks?

Chris

P.S. I'm wanting to do a 4-link or go to leafs, but I want the most flex possible for rock crawling. Which would be best is still yet to be decided? Anyone?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Away

Chris, there are awesome examples of Coil suspension setups as well as Leafs. It all depends on the application and how well it is all put together. There isn't a "One way is better for everything." Most rock crawling buggys seem to be coil sprung from what I have seen, however...

My .02
G
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner
That is why I pointed that out. Front coils in the rear would be stiff as hell. The ride would suck and it wouldn't flex worth crap. It has been my experience that there are a ton of Show truck types on the Islands and they probably don't care as long as it looks good...
I agree, lots of "all show-no go" trucks here where I live.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ravencr
44runner, did you get new longer upper and lower links too, or just the adjusted panhard bar? What about shocks and location of the shocks?

Chris

P.S. I'm wanting to do a 4-link or go to leafs, but I want the most flex possible for rock crawling. Which would be best is still yet to be decided? Anyone?

I just adjusted the panhard rod.

I always thought the rear of our trucks flexed very well and if I could get the front to match it that would rock. Now my front flexes better than the rear. I am a happy man. I get like 24" of wheel travel in the front and 20 or so out back...
Old 02-18-2004, 03:47 PM

That's pretty awesome man! Leafs would be much simpler than coils I think, because I would have to deal with all the links. But, this project is a ways down the road for me, so I won't bother with any more questions at this time.

Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 03:54 PM

44 so then no adjustment for the links in the rear just the drop for the panhard ? correct ? Do you have any pics of your rear setup ? i can only see 1/2 of every pic on your site for some reason can you send me some larryct@jps.net thanx ! ! !
Old 02-19-2004, 08:52 AM

44 so then no adjustment for the links in the rear just the drop for the panhard ? correct ? Do you have any pics of your rear setup ? i can only see 1/2 of every pic on your site for some reason can you send me some larryct@jps.net thanx ! ! !

Spacer:

Hopefully those pics will work...

Quick Reply: Fabtech 6" & 6" Leafkit rear