Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

External trans cooler questions and people who bypassed the radiator get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
External trans cooler questions and people who bypassed the radiator get in here!

This is my first post, I just picked up a 2001 4runner SR5 with 99k miles and it's mint! I've read on here about common issues and have already replaced the radiator, hoses, and thermostat so I won't get the "Strawberry milkshake" of doom (when the radiator leaks internally and the coolant mixes with the trans fluid). For you people who don't know about this issue, fix the problem it before it happens to you!

Now to be sure I never get the milkshake, I have already ordered the True Cool 4454 trans cooler that was recommended by people on here, and an external thermal bypass unit since I live in the Chicago area with cold temperatures in the winter time.

My questions are (1) Has anyone ever had any issues bypassing the radiator cooler and JUST using this cooler (or any other cooler) to cool the trans?

(2)Would it be better to have an external fan mounted to the cooler? I'm concerned with sitting in traffic for long periods of time.

(3)Has anyone installed the external thermal bypass and where did you mount it? http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...=&Store_Code=2

(4) I searched for a "How to" on installing a trans temp gauge, is it recommended to have one? I don't do any kind of towing at the moment but plan to.

Thanks in advance. I will do a writeup on my install soon.

Last edited by SRT4runner; 11-23-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On #2... yes, unless you mount it in front of the radiator fan, it needs its own fan.

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-24-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
On #2... yes, unless you mount it in front of the radiator fan it needs its own fan.
I was planning on mounting it in front of the radiator just like where all the how to's have it mounted. I was just curious if people had any overheating issues with it mounted like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM

its not that common for the radiator to fail. why not just replace it, and run your new cooler as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Do you tow alot?

Last edited by DIHOWARD; 11-23-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

I ran mine inline with the factory cooler and, it's in front of the radiator. Also, I have an externally mounted filter with the largest K&N filter I could find. It adds almost a full extra quart of trans fluid.

What part of the city are you in?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM

i just installed mine last weekend. 1. you can bypass the radiator cooler and run just the external cooler. This is what i did. 2. you don't need the fan like mtgoat said if it's mounted in front of the stock fan. it won't overheat in stop and go traffic. If the factory cooler holds up to it, then the external cooler surely will. 3. Didn't mount an external bypass because my trucool had it built in, but there's plenty of room behind the front bumper for it. 4. if you want to keep tabs on the trans temp as well as other readings, i'd recommend a scangauge II. Just found out a program to get the trans temp on mine and never had to splice any hoses or anything.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM

If you do put a spin on oil filter get a mount that will allow you to put a temperature sender on there. Kill two birds with one stone
External trans cooler questions and people who bypassed the radiator get in here!-4r-filter-top-front.jpg
You can see the sender in the center of the filter mount. I didn't have the wire hooked up yet when I took the photo.

I put the gauge on the console. It would have been better maybe a half inch closer the center. I had to do a little trimming behind the panel to get it to snap back together after installing the gauge. No problem really but I would have preferred not to have to trim.
External trans cooler questions and people who bypassed the radiator get in here!-4r-temp-gauge.jpg

This should give some ideas at least.

I used a Tru Cool 4454 mounted in front of the radiator and bypassed the stock cooler. I don't see a good reason to keep the radiator cooler in the system. I like having a gauge so I can monitor the temperature with a non-stock set up.

Last edited by john4r; 11-23-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM

I installed the 4454 and bypassed the rad on my 99. I also live in a cold climate and decided to just use the cooler with the internal cold bypass. The external bypass concerns me with being too restrictive and if the 4454 does what is says no fluid should go through the cooler until it reaches operating temperature. I have had no issues so far and I am glad I performed the mod. If you have any more info on the external bypass I would like to hear it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

I enjoy seeing these threads. This has been something I've been thinking about since I purchased my 2000. Even though I've read and read and read I'm still nervous about messing with my trans.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 954rrmike
... The external bypass concerns me with being too restrictive and if the 4454 does what is says no fluid should go through the cooler until it reaches operating temperature....
I agree
Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

BTW here's an 8 page thread on the subject: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...cooler-126953/
Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Red3.slow
I enjoy seeing these threads. This has been something I've been thinking about since I purchased my 2000. Even though I've read and read and read I'm still nervous about messing with my trans.
Considering that there are already clamped hoses running from the tranny to the radiator it is not that big a change to bypass the radiator to an external cooler. The alternative is to make the radiator a 10 year replacement item. Either way I don't think it is worth the risk to ignore this.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM

I can't find enough info on the external bypass to feel comfortable having it on my rig. I'm glad you agree with me Mt Goat. Again if the 4454 does what it claims the extreme cold should not matter. I was just on the dana.com site and it clearly states that a external thermal bypass must be used when using the tru cool max coolers as they do not have internal regulating. They even come with the bypass valve. The company is not going to tell us if we need on or not as they do not recommend bypassing the radiator. I guess we won't know untill someone blows a tranny.

Last edited by 954rrmike; 11-24-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jdmaccord6
i just installed mine last weekend. 1. you can bypass the radiator cooler and run just the external cooler. This is what i did. 2. you don't need the fan like mtgoat said if it's mounted in front of the stock fan. it won't overheat in stop and go traffic. If the factory cooler holds up to it, then the external cooler surely will. 3. Didn't mount an external bypass because my trucool had it built in, but there's plenty of room behind the front bumper for it. 4. if you want to keep tabs on the trans temp as well as other readings, i'd recommend a scangauge II. Just found out a program to get the trans temp on mine and never had to splice any hoses or anything.
Does the scangauge have this program that comes with it, and is it accurate? I'm trying to figure out how I want to read the temperature of the trans fluid and this method looks interesting.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SRT4runner
Does the scangauge have this program that comes with it, and is it accurate? I'm trying to figure out how I want to read the temperature of the trans fluid and this method looks interesting.
it does not come standard, but with the xgauge on 2006? and newer scangauge II's it can be programmed in. took me about 2-3 minutes to do and bam! it was there. so far it's been pretty accurate for me. stop and go shows temps right around 150-155ish and highway driving is down to 120ish. here's where i originally got it from. there are new gauges being figured out as well that would be very useful for many applications; A/F ration, real time horse power, etc.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ii-owners.html
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 AM

john4r where did u get that filter bracket that had the place for the sending unit
Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 AM

i just thru my 4454 infront of my radiator as well. its way easier to pull the front bumper to get it secure. just make sure you find a safe place for the lines. im not sure how i would have ran mine if i didnt have a body lift.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 AM

did you install the bypass or just the cooler?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerby J
john4r where did u get that filter bracket that had the place for the sending unit
Summit Racing, here is a link.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-10677/

I got the kit that included the gauge. Part number prm-10677, you can get it without gauge but I don't have the part number.

It can probably be had a little cheaper than Summit but they have fast shipping and good customer service.

John

Quick Reply: External trans cooler questions and people who bypassed the radiator get in here!