Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Experienced gear/locker shop or member in Denver, CO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced gear/locker shop or member in Denver, CO?

I'm getting ready to buy 4.88's, f/r master install kits, and an ARB locker.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the Denver area that can install gears/lockers but at a reasonable cost? I'm afraid of taking it somewhere and not getting everything fully replaced with the master kits or even worse...done incorrectly.

Also, if anyone here wants to and can do the job then let me know your price!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two choices on getting diffs done.

Pay Billy Bob to do it back door for cheap and then disappear when something happens.

Pay a shop to do it for around 300. They will do it right, do it complete and offer a warranty after the install.

Call Ben at Slee in Golden, they do lots of ARB stuff.

Call Mike at Off Road Solutions, they do lots of diffs.

I have given both of those places lots of my money and they have done exceptional work.

This all being said, most places do not like installing stuff you didn't get from them. This usually jacks the price of the install, since they are not making money on the parts. It is also because if there are any problems, they have no recourse since you dealt with the vendor.

Cheap, good, fast. Pick two.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Two choices on getting diffs done.
yep, i know Slee and Off Road Solutions are 2 good choices and i'm not looking for a Billy Bob kind of guy. I'm hoping to get lucky and find somebody like 'Zuk' (www.gearinstalls.com) or even someone like yourself but that has an experienced history with gear/locker installs.
With all the members from CO on the forum, i thought i could make a new connection with someone or a small shop that would be a little cheaper than the BIG shops. If i can save a few bucks then i'm all for it.

Anyone in CO besides Slee and OFS?
thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Hey Erik, sorry I cant offer any direction or aid but Im curious how much the big shops want for a job like this?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:23 AM

if you want to drive, call bowers 4WD center up here in fort collins. outstanding work, but can't hazard a guess on $$.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
yep, i know Slee and Off Road Solutions are 2 good choices and i'm not looking for a Billy Bob kind of guy. I'm hoping to get lucky and find somebody like 'Zuk' (www.gearinstalls.com) or even someone like yourself but that has an experienced history with gear/locker installs.
With all the members from CO on the forum, i thought i could make a new connection with someone or a small shop that would be a little cheaper than the BIG shops. If i can save a few bucks then i'm all for it.

Anyone in CO besides Slee and OFS?
thanks
Pulling my rear 3rd right now to send to zuk, been asking him for advise on what to buy.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:33 AM

Between 3 and 5 on the bench.

Figure it a 4ish hour job to disassemble, reassemble and set

Shop rates around here a plus or minus 75 per hour so figure 300 at the low end.

I don't know how to set them, I paid to have my last one done.

This is one of those areas where paying gets you security usually.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JimmyK
Hey Erik, sorry I cant offer any direction or aid but Im curious how much the big shops want for a job like this?
Just got off the phone with Ben @ Slee Off Road and his quote was $900 for labor That was for the gears, master kits, and rear locker intsalled w/out a compressor. The total quote was $2,580 (parts and labor) which included an ARB mini compressor but not installed.

Looks like i'll be calling a few more places. I think i'm going to order all the parts from www.dunksperformance.com ...they had the best prices i could find and I'll probably end up doing some of the labor myself.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:19 PM

I wouldn't go cheap on the repair. The parts your talking about aren't cheep. A poor install will make your parts wear out more quickly, not to mention, could leave you standed. I'm all for saving a buck, but for core components like this, I would go with reputation, and warranty over price. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Call Al's National Differential on Brighton Blvd. 303-286-0338.
They've been in business for many years. They quoted me almost a grand less than ORS. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against ORS or Slee. Sometimes I just want to pay a little less.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Just got off the phone with Ben @ Slee Off Road and his quote was $900 for labor That was for the gears, master kits, and rear locker intsalled w/out a compressor. The total quote was $2,580 (parts and labor) which included an ARB mini compressor but not installed.
Not sure I understand what that quote is for. Are you pulling the thirds yourself or driving the truck in? In SoCal regear + ARB install runs about $250-$400 depending on the shop and if you pull them yourself.

You might want to look for a used front 3rd, you should be able to find one from a truck that has been sas'd. I have an ARB'd factory 4.88 8" third that I debating about selling or regearing. They pop up once in a while on Pirate as well. If you can wait and handle used you might save some $$$.

If you are buying the parts get quotes from some of the Pirate vendors for gears/lockers if you are looking for the best price (Shaffers/PORC).

That said if you want absolute peace of mind take it to a good shop and pay the price. That is what I did and I never regretted it.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Not sure I understand what that quote is for. Are you pulling the thirds yourself or driving the truck in?
The quote was for driving it in. $900 was what he said for just the labor.
$2,580 was for labor plus all parts...ARB locker, gears, kits, and mini ARB compresor. That quote didn't include hooking up the compressor.

Originally Posted by RobG
In SoCal regear + ARB install runs about $250-$400 depending on the shop and if you pull them yourself.

You might want to look for a used front 3rd, you should be able to find one from a truck that has been sas'd. I have an ARB'd factory 4.88 8" third that I debating about selling or regearing. They pop up once in a while on Pirate as well. If you can wait and handle used you might save some $$$.

If you are buying the parts get quotes from some of the Pirate vendors for gears/lockers if you are looking for the best price (Shaffers/PORC).

That said if you want absolute peace of mind take it to a good shop and pay the price. That is what I did and I never regretted it.

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you sale that ARB'd 3rd.

I've decided to pull the 3rds myself, purchase all the parts, and take everything to ORS or a shop like 'HaveBlue' mentioned.

ORS does complete differential exchanges but i still need to call and get prices... http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...drivetrain.htm

I learned about Dunks Performance on Pirate where they advertised this gear/locker package . After i called numerous places all across the country, Dunks was cheaper than everyone else by a decent amount for what i wanted.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:13 AM

Try all phase in longmont i was in there the other day and they are going to be doing my locker and gears as soon as i can get the cash to do it 303.678.7413 try them out i have heard good things about them
Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 PM

ORS has no core diffs.

The price should be to pull, gear and reinstall a rear only.

Two diffs on the bench with ARB's should be 6-8 bills from a reputable place.

Slee usually can do things fast, ORS takes a while to schedule out and get it done.