Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust for 22R

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust for 22R

I found some headers and a full exhaust system from Downey, allready made for my pickup. The size of the pipe is 2.5 inches and i always thought that the bigger the better. But now people say i will lose torque cuz of back pressure loss. Anyways is 2.5 in to big for a 4 banger?

heres the link.

http://www.truckperformance.com/prod...5=Standard+Cab
Old 05-25-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumb
Old 05-26-2004, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know I've got this same question and never seem to get a definitive answer.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:18 AM

I just put on a thorley header a free flow cat, flowmaster 40 and 2.25 piping. Power is up and the jury hasn't come back about efficiency.

I think 2.5 is too big, that is what I have heard everywhere. Honestly I think 2.25 might be excessive. 2 inch would work fine I imagine and I think the 2.25 I have might be a stretch. I wouldn't do 2.5

If you're looking for torque. I'd check out the thorley. The reason I went with it is because it is a tri-y design. Thorley's sight explains it best, but I'll try. The tri-y pairs opposite tubes. I.e. cylinders that don't fire at the same time. Then they pair those two pairs into the exhaust pipe. Consequently you have 3 y shapes. By pairing it in this way, the exhaust can push each charge easier. This design is most effective in low to mid rpm range where our trucks drive on a daily basis as well as when we're crawling over rocks. If you want higher Rpm improvements, the Downey or other 4 into 1 design will work best. From what I understand the 4 into 1 design won't necesarily improve mileage or power in the ranges taht we experience on a daily basis.

In all reality I've only had my stock header and the Thorley. The downey could be awesome. I can tell you that my thorley isn't too loud, but definitely throatier than stock. The power improvement is definitely noticable, but it's still no V8. I just hope that my mileage improves with this investment.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I just put on a thorley header a free flow cat, flowmaster 40 and 2.25 piping. Power is up and the jury hasn't come back about efficiency.

I think 2.5 is too big, that is what I have heard everywhere. Honestly I think 2.25 might be excessive. 2 inch would work fine I imagine and I think the 2.25 I have might be a stretch. I wouldn't do 2.5

If you're looking for torque. I'd check out the thorley. The reason I went with it is because it is a tri-y design. Thorley's sight explains it best, but I'll try. The tri-y pairs opposite tubes. I.e. cylinders that don't fire at the same time. Then they pair those two pairs into the exhaust pipe. Consequently you have 3 y shapes. By pairing it in this way, the exhaust can push each charge easier. This design is most effective in low to mid rpm range where our trucks drive on a daily basis as well as when we're crawling over rocks. If you want higher Rpm improvements, the Downey or other 4 into 1 design will work best. From what I understand the 4 into 1 design won't necesarily improve mileage or power in the ranges taht we experience on a daily basis.

In all reality I've only had my stock header and the Thorley. The downey could be awesome. I can tell you that my thorley isn't too loud, but definitely throatier than stock. The power improvement is definitely noticable, but it's still no V8. I just hope that my mileage improves with this investment.
Great feedback. Thanks Deathrunner.