Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

*$&@^!# exauhst.....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*$&@^!# exauhst.....ideas?

alright, 1993 toy p/u 4x4 22re...header downpipe...not the headers...but the pipe that connects to it. when i baught the truck it was cracked...replaced it....it broke...replaces it again just 3 days ago and once again its broken 40 bucks per header pipe.... getting a little tired of buying a new header pipe every other week..the local exauhst shops looked at it and told me "well for 285 bucks i can weld a bracket on there...but i dont think it will help....its just a common problem with toyotas you gotta live with" I think thats BS..

Any ideas on what I can/should do? the whole exauhst is mounted up properly, ive even got an extra clamp holding it to the tranny mount.

Im soo annoyed with this thing...i just dont want it to break...HELP!!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure what you mean by header downpipe.....how old are the headers? You could check out picking up some downey headers. It would cost you some cash up front, but it would keep you from shellin out a little every week to fix the pipe. The exhaust guy is full of crap....I haven't heard of any problems like this being a big deal on any yota. It's just something he wants you to keep breakin and comin back so he can make some money. Do a search on here for exhaust and headers.....you'll find a ton of info.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:21 AM

not the headers themselvs the pipe that conncect to the headers from the headers to the cat. Ive herd of the problem on other yotas, but i do beleave the guy wants me to beleave that theres no way to keep it from happening. My headers arnt broken, they're fine (despite a couple broken studs...but nothen too major)
Old 02-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my pipe crack there once. It was because the cat and the header pipe were not in line with each other. So there was a bind ( the previous guy that did my exhaust created this) and eventualy the weak spot failed. My friend welded it back up where there is no bind and I have had no problems since.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I know you don't want to here this but.... If you don't want to do the header route get a Toyota downpipe. I went thru the same thing you are going thru. The downpipe would crack the weld at the Y. I replaced it 4 times with 1 from Midas. When I had a new motor put in I replaced the entire exhaust from the manifold connection to the tailpipe (lifetime warrenty) from the dealer. That was 4 years ago and it still is holding strong.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM

Dont know if theres a petter thread on here to ask this question but ANY help is aprreciated. I am having super high idle problems.the adjuster screw on the throttle body is turned all the way in.i have a small exhaust leak right where the manifold meats the down pipe.i plan to replace the gasket tomorrow.i have also have a code 43 and 25. I heard that if my adjuster screw is turned all the way in that its the valve under the throttle body clogged with coolant gunk so i cleaned it up but same problem.only way to turn the idle down has been to retard the timing ALOT! Which in return makes my truck bog down.whith the timing right it runs at about 1700 rpm,s.. Any ideas guys?do u think i need to recheck the valve that connects under the tb? Or think the exhaust gasket could be the big culprit?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Wow!!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

i 2nd your wow and add a gee whiz !!:wabbit2: