Old 08-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Equal Tire Balancer

Anyon ehave any luck with this stuff?

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/FAQ.htm
Old 08-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't waste your money from what I've read...my 35s I had weight balanced and ran fine...my 37s I'm not going to even bother as they'll get beadlocks, so what's the point....Marlin/POR etc all talk about using BBs...but I'm just going to try mine w/o anything...then I might look into BBs, but I heard Equal was a big waste of money on a trail rig tire and anything over like 31" as it cost too much and retains moisture.

Search on POR and Marlin about it...

I wouldn't use it IMO.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have this really nasty vibration. It has gone from my 86 PU to my 4 runner and on 2 different sets of rims with the same tires.

Now these tires have only been balanced about a dozen times and I still have a vibration.

One of the last things that I have done with them to date back in May was to have Equal put into the tires prior to us traveling 900 miles to go fishing.

Our vibration was still there.

Does this stuff work. I would say yes. It didn't improve or worsen the vibration. I think the issue is something deeper into the driveline. I am thinking a synchro or bearing for 1st or 2nd gear.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 PM

I used to run Equal in my 31x10.50/15 BFG All Terrains. It is supposed to work without conventional lead weights, but the installing shop left them on for some reason. I drove that way for four or five years—with the weights and Equal. Then one day I got the bright idea of removing the weights. Suddenly I had a nasty vibration at 40-50 mph. I took it to Les Schwab and they balanced the front tires with weights. They did not remove the Equal. All of the sudden the vibration was gone. I got on the phone with the Equal people inquiring about their smoothness guarantee. After a long conversation, I find that Equal isn’t really recommended for mud tires. I pointed out that what I had was called All Terrain. They responded that those were considered mud tires, and that 31” tires are considered to be toward the smallest size Equal works as a balancer. I really didn’t want to spend the money to dismount the tires and have the Equal removed and then have the tires rebalanced. They were already marginal tires, so I scrapped them and got new tires with conventional lead weights.

Equal was initially developed for commercial trucks. Their tires are around 40” tall and they usually do not have mud style treads.

I do not believe Equal is a good solution for vibration issues for off-road tires.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:43 PM

here is 4crawler's write-up on the continuous wheel balancers he uses...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ce/index.shtml

just thought you might find it interesting.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the Centramatics that I have written up on the page posted above. I have heard of folks having problems with Equal clumping if it gets wet. How would it get wet? Airing tires up and down with on-board compressors is one way. Every time you pump in air, you pump in water vapor and every time you air down, you decompress the air, colling it and condensing that water vapor. Unless you use dry gas like CO2 or nitrogen, this can happen. Probably not a problem in the over-the-road trucks it was designed for, not many 18-wheelers air down to 15 psi and go off-road

Some guys in my club run Dyna Beads, they are ceramic beads that don't corrode like BBs, they don't clump like powder and they say they work well. And they can be removed and added to a new set of tires:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm