Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine is locked, Choices to make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine is locked, Choices to make?

So the engine in my '99 limited went out today and by out I mean the starter went and found out that replacing it didn't do any good because the engine is locked up. Has anyone had this problem? Should I rebuild or sell? Are there any other options? Thanks for any insite and help.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

how did it lock up?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 PM

I'm also interested in hearing how it locked up.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Are you sure its siezed?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yes i want to know also
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Nic

Was it running OK before the starter replacement? You sure the new starter and flywheel aren't binding?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 PM

???? ditto to the above...is this a 5vz? Im assuming it is becuase its a limited....
Old 01-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k_r_o_w
So the engine in my '99 limited went out today and by out I mean the starter went and found out that replacing it didn't do any good because the engine is locked up. Has anyone had this problem? Should I rebuild or sell? Are there any other options? Thanks for any insite and help.
We need a little more info to make any suggestions....
How did this happen? was it out of the blue? What did you test to know it was locked?
Will the engine rotate without plugs? ......any other info would help alot.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:23 AM

Perhaps attempt to manually rotate the motor with a breaker bar or something. Also, take the plugs out and attempt to manually rotate. If it doesn't then it is probably seized
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 AM

I'm not the most viechle savy individual so bear with me for the info I don't know, but left for work got about two hundred yards away and it died, no warning unusual sounds anything that morning or before. When it died I tried restarting it and it just made a horrible grinding sound. No clicking or sounds that it was trying to turn over so I left it till after work. After work took it to a shop to get a diagnostic test ran, got a read out that it needed a new starter. Told the shop to replace it and left. Got a call about 4 hours later saying the new starter wsa in but the engine was completely locked up. They couldn't get to turn over. The mechanic told me he thought it was from a lack of proper luberication (not getting the oil replaced regular) but I've always have had it within 3,000 miles or 3 months. I had just replaced the oil last week. They said it was full, so I don't know much more than this. Yes to the question of being 5vz. Any other thoughts things to try look into?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:25 AM

I'm not the most viechle savy individual so bear with me for the info I don't know, but left for work got about two hundred yards away and it died, no warning unusual sounds anything that morning or before. When it died I tried restarting it and it just made a horrible grinding sound. No clicking or sounds that it was trying to turn over so I left it till after work. After work took it to a shop to get a diagnostic test ran, got a read out that it needed a new starter. Told the shop to replace it and left. Got a call about 4 hours later saying the new starter wsa in but the engine was completely locked up. They couldn't get to turn over. The mechanic told me he thought it was from a lack of proper luberication (not getting the oil replaced regular) but I've always have had it within 3,000 miles or 3 months. I had just replaced the oil last week. They said it was full, so I don't know much more than this. Yes to the question of being 5vz. Any other thoughts things to try look into?
Yeah, try looking into a new mechanic...Somethings not adding up here dude,,..
Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

First thing I would do is to take out all the plugs and remove all the ascessory belts (AC, PS, Alt) and put a socket on the crank and see if you can get it to turn over. If it doesn't then you have some serious engine problems somewhere (may still involve something simple like the timing belt, idler or similar but it will require some engine teardown to find). If it does, then figure out which of the ascessories was the problem (I assume you don't have a supercharger on there).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-27-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:15 PM

one of the accerories could have seized maybe the alternator. Def do like MTL 4Runner said
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

How many miles you have on it?
I personally never heard of engine sizing like that without any warnings, especially if it was maintained.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

I'm curious - did you do the oil change or did someone else?
This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of some in-a-minute jiffy place forgetting to put in oil after draining.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

take it for a second opinion.

Firestone told me my coolant leak would cost me 900+

took it to a local import shop who specalizes in Japanese vehickes, they told me it was jsut a hose

VA import did the hose(requires to take the intake manifold off) and both my valve cover gaskets for 420.

Take MTLs advice also
Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Nic

The timing belt may have jumped a tooth or two. I had that happen in my 84 Camry one cold morning and it "locked" the engine up for the lack of a better word. I was pretty sure what happened after checking things over a bit and had the dealer put a new belt on (back when they were reasonable) and all was well. Just a thought. If you have serviced it regularly and always checked the oil, I don't think it is from lack of lubrication.

I'd take it to someone who knows what they are doing, because it sounds like they don't.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:54 PM

Okay, like other folks have said, follow Jamie's (MTL_) advice. If you don't understand what he's asking, then find a buddy to help. The process is straightforward, plus doing it yourself will gain ya' some knowledge PLUS give you first hand information on what the symptoms are. Then we can help you more.

But first... I have a question. You said...

...and it died. When it died I tried restarting it and it just made a horrible grinding sound. No clicking or sounds that it was trying to turn over so I left it till after work. After work took it to a shop...
So, let's recap. It died, it wouldn't restart, _THEN_ you got no "clicking or sounds that it was trying to turn over", and _THEN_ you "took it to a shop".

When you FIRST tried to restart it, it gave off grinding noises

Then, you tried later (???) and that changed to NO sound?

Then, did it finally start and you drove it or was it towed?

After the starter went in, do you get grinding noises or nothing?

Do your dash lights come on at all when you put the key in and turn it to the first click?

This is a limited, so it's an auto, right?

Depending on how you answer these questions.. I'm wondering if the grinding noises were from the starter on the flywheel; then with repeated restart attempts you blew the big fuse (that would lead to "no sound"). That's not to say that something else is wrong (and I'm sure it is, something killed it in the first place) but you want to be sure that you're not fighting multiple problems at once.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

We had a customer in at work months ago now... engine would not start... sounded like the timing belt had broke ( turning over really fast ) It was a well serviced 1998 3.4L... and the timing belt had been done already... it had only 125 000 KMs on it too... was strange... pulled it all apart and the lest side cam had siezed.... When we phoned the engine shop they said sludging was a common problem with the 3.4L and they were starting to do lots of engines on them....
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 AM

Just so you guys know I really appreciate all of the advice. I'm leaving in about an hour to tow to Arkansas to my parents where hopefully can figure some questions out.

It has a little under 158,000 miles on it and yes it is a limited and yes it is automatic. The oil change was done by "kwik kar" here in dallas.

To answer the questions on the recap. It died so I immediately tried to restart it when it gave the grinding sound. When I got back from work to check it out and didn't make any sound. The lights all worked. So my thought was the altenator so a buddy helped me pull it to a local shop (the firestone) place. There those guys tried starting it again where it made the grinding sound again. After the new stater went in I have not personally tried to start it, just took the word of the guys working on it. But this morning when we loaded it up and when I turned the key over to put into neutral all of the dash lights were coming on.

Once again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Engine is locked, Choices to make?