Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine importers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine importers

I wasn't sure where to posts this.....thought maybe in the vendor section, but saw nothing concerning engines there, so I figured maybe someone here might know something.

Now, does anyone know of a good engine importerthat knows something about Toyota engines? I'm doing research for my next Toyota project. No, I will not tell anyone what it is. This will be a project that I'm planning out 2 years just for the engine build up.

What I'm looking for is a front clip from a '92-97 Lexus LS400 (4.0L 1UZ-FE engine, ECU and wiring harness). I'm not sure what the Japanese equivalent is, but I can find out. It's very important that I get the right engine, because I want the pre VVT-i engine.

Some of you can probably figure that this is going to be a huge build up.....not for a 4Runner. I need to make sure that the right engine is aquired. Actually after doing some research......my project has already been done......now I'll have some help along the way.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good knowledgable importer?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's wrong with US spec LS400's?

A good bet is www.jarcoinc.com for 1/2 cuts (that's what you are looking for from your description)
Old 10-17-2004, 03:41 PM

Nothing is wrong with US engines. All I actually need is a junk engine, with wiring harness and ECU.......I might no even need the wiring harness and ECU.....That part is still in the research stage. Actually the whole thing is. I need to finish the 4Runner project first and actually get this job that I'm hoping to get for everything to work out perfectly.

If I only need the engine, I'll go with a junk engine here in the US......I just don't know of many salvage yards here stateside that deal with front clips.

So I'll spill the beans. What I want to do is use the rear-end from either the All-Trac Celica or Supra......I think that the Celica uses a 7.5" and the Supra uses an 8" rear-end....not positive on that, but if I'm right, we'll be looking at using the Supra rear-end. I want to drop a pre-VVT-i 4.0L 1UZ-FE in my Celica. I know, major work. We're talking about a tranny tonnel buildup....fuel cell.....better front suspension.....and chasis reenforcement. Now the interesting part. I want to run a sequential twin turbo system on this engine. I want to make a complete Celica sleeper/ Viper killer.

I read about a kit car online using this same set-up that does 0-60 in 3.7seconds. It will be alot of work on the FWD Celica, but I've seen other FWD cars converted to RWD.

So does everyone think I'm looney now? Well, I guess we can decide that when the 4Runner project is done. These are all just thoughts at this point. The Celica will be RWD either way it goes. The other option was using a 5S-GTE, but I thought that would be too easy. I think that the torque of the 1UZ-FE in a car that weighs nothing would be very interesting. It would definately blow away a Viper or Z06......maybe even some exotics.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned

hehehe
Old 10-17-2004, 04:07 PM

i love the idea
Old 10-17-2004, 04:21 PM

I think I saw something similar on Lextreme. I think the vehicle was in Australia or New Zealand.

Yes you are LOONEY!! ....In a good way
Old 10-17-2004, 04:39 PM

Yeah, there is an RA22 Celica (alot smaller Celica than my '93) in Australia that is running a UZ engine in it. You can find it on Toymods. That was my initial inspiration years ago. My Celica project was suppose to come way before my 4Runner, but a spun rod bearing came move things along alot faster than expected. Also the cost that will be involved with the Celica project.

Basically everything on the UZ will be scraped other than the block, heads and crank. I'll have custom low compression forged pistons made. New rods. All balanced and blue printed. Dry sump. Sequential Garret ball-bearing turbos running at about 24psi. Heads ported and polished. Custom intake plenum with velocity stacks. FMIC And it looks like with that much modification, I'm going to have to run an Autronics stand alone engine management system.

This engine should very easily make 800RWHP....more than likely more. I've seem Supras run similar set-ups making over 1000RWHP.

Some of you guys might think this is a pipe dream, but I'm seriously looking at starting to collect parts this coming spring after the 4Runner project is up and running......I said done before, but all of us know that cars are rarely ever "done".

I just have to make sure that all of my homework is done before I start collecting parts. I did that on the 4Runner project and never thought about the upper idler pulley and now that is becoming an issue. We'll see how that plays out when I get the engine back. We're at the point of no return, so it'll work one way or another......just so you guys don't start to worry.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

I say go for it if there is a will there is a way.
I don't know about importers but have you tried yota yard here in Denver?
They may know where to get one.
Good luck?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 PM

Ok ladies......I found an engine locally for $300.....what a deal on a 1UZ, huh!! It even runs. I'm going to see about picking it up as soon as I get the money......might even see if Pops will buy it for me and let me pay him back later.

The hard part will be finding an R154 tranny for cheap.......probably shouldn't skimp on that one since I'd hate to have to rebuild that too.

This looks like it will be done for cheaper than I was expecting. I was calculating to pay about $2500-3000 for a 1UZ.....I guess you can get them for pretty cheap when you're not worried about milage.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Why did you choose the R154? Im considering and V161 swap in my IS300 and just wonder why you choose that particular tranny.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 PM

The reason for that is because it's pretty much bulletpoof.....that is the tranny that most of Toyota's RWD race cars use. What is the advantage of the V161......doesn't the IS300 run the R154??
Old 10-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

The MT in the IS can not handle the HP im getting ready to pump to it. I dont think the IS has the R154 but im having a brain fart right now. The MT the IS comes factory with wont handle much over 350HP. The V160/161 is a 6 sp tranny and thats whats got me mainly looking at it.

Is the R154 the same 5 sp the put it the trucks because I know its supposed to be pretty stout.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:00 PM

Well, I know that the IS300 came with either the W or R series tranny.....must be the W series. I have done some research and found that the W series tranny will not hold up to a modified UZ engine, that's the reason that most racers use the R154.

And yes, I think that the R154 is used behind the 22R in the trucks.....then of course the transfer case.

The R154 was the engine Toyota used behind the Supra Turbo Limited, if that tells you how strong it is. But then again, they used the W series transmission in the Supras too. Either way, the R154 is race proven and that's all that matters to me.

If you've done your homework on the V160/161, then go for it. It seems that I've heard about alot of IS300 guys switching to that tranny anyway. I think that I'm going to do a little bit of drag racing whenever I get that project done, so a 6 sped isn't exactly going to be the best choice for me.

For those following this post, it seems that my project has already been done twin turbo and all. That's good news for me because I can get in contact with him and be aware of his mistakes. This is pretty awesome. He says that the All-Trac rear-end will not hold up.....he's swaping it out for a Supra rear-end. I might just see if I can make room for the ever faithful Ford 9".
Old 10-17-2004, 07:13 PM

here is a link to just a few pictures of this guys car.......that is exactly what I wanted to do.....I think I've got wood!!!

http://www.geocities.com/fxfjclub/celicgt4.htm
Old 10-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

Nice, now that I think about it I think its the W55 or something like that. If you get to do this it will be a beast.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
here is a link to just a few pictures of this guys car.......that is exactly what I wanted to do.....I think I've got wood!!!

http://www.geocities.com/fxfjclub/celicgt4.htm
That's the one I was thinking of.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:23 AM

I've been emailing this guy an he send me a lot more pictures. Basically with pictures of his front subframe, this swap should be a piece of cake......fitment wise. Most of you would faint if you saw how much of the car was cut away to fit the transmission. I think it's well worth it though.

He is running very little boost (6.5psi) and making about 360RWHP.......that comes out to about 420HP at the crank. I think with these figures, I'm going to be looking at running about 18psi of boost. That should put things at or above 500RWHP. What's more than enough on a car that weighs in at about 2300lbs. Like I said......Viper killer.

Basically all I need is the engine.....I've found 3 here locally for about $350each. The wiring harness, about $300 locally. Supra rear differential $150. The V161 transmission is where the money comes into play $2400....WOW!!! I found out with research that the R154 though very strong is known to lose a thrust washer and cause alot of damage. Looks like a 6speed is going in after all (though with that much torque, 1st gear is only good for spinning tires). Would make a great drift car if I lived somewhere like CA.

I guess we're looking at about $10-15K to get an up and running twin turbo V8 Celica. I hope I hear about that job this week. This will be a long term project. I can at least continue research until the 4Runner engine is back from the machine shop.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:18 AM

Better yet, the R154 will be going in it. I can buy at least 4 good used R154 for the price of 1 good used V161.

Yeah, I'm a cost cutter, but you have to be on project cars. My 4Runner if I did it over with the knowledge that I have now, I could have the head swap on a rebuilt engine, that is balanced and blueprinted (in other words runs better than any stock 5VZ-FE could imagine) for half (or less) the price of the average 5VZ-FE swap.

The good thing is that when it's all said and done, it'll save a lot of people that follow my lead loads of money.

You know......a 1UZ-FE swap would be just as easy as the 5VZ-FE swap. Now that I've looked into that for my Celica, I have to wonder why these people with 22Rs are no looking at V8 swaps? True, it's not a huge HP gain over the 5VZ-FE, but the torque would be more than worth it. Gear changes would be pretty much un-needed.

As always, I'm way out in left field in my train of thought compared to most on this board, but these are some great options. Trust me, it I already had the R154 in my 4Runner stock.......I'd consider dropping this project or selling the engine after I proved my point with the head swap. I really just need to open my own shop, lol.

Lets look at it like this:

used 1UZ-FE for rebuild $400 (I've found several for less.....these are old engines......pre-VVT-i)

rebuild $2000

ECU and wiring harness $600

R154 to UZ engine bell housing $no idea here really.....lets say $500 I'd have to email to get the price.

You're at $3500 with this swap. You have the torque to not need a regear.....you've save $1000 there. A quality 5VZ-FE swap will cost the same amount. You will gain more HP.....more torque......an no need for regear. Wow, talk about options......if anyone in TN or southern KY were interested in doing a 1UZ-FE swap into a 4Runner (22R) or truck, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand making it all work.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM

Doesn't the LS400 use an A340E transmission? I think I read that on clublexus. If that's true, the 4.0 would bolt up to our trucks. That also means that an A340F (4wd trans) would bolt up to a LS.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Phisherman
Doesn't the LS400 use an A340E transmission? I think I read that on clublexus. If that's true, the 4.0 would bolt up to our trucks. That also means that an A340F (4wd trans) would bolt up to a LS.
Yes, the LS400 had that for a tranny, I know that for sure.......my comment about the R154 though was because there are several companies that makes bellhousing for that tranny to bolt to the UZ block. I have no idea about auto trannies and what they came in because I have never nor will never own a Toyota with an auto.

But looks good if you say that is the auto tranny that come in the trucks. I'm just trying to make people aware that they are more and just as easy option to the 5VZ swap that has become almost standard.

I've looked and R154s are a dime a dozen.....it would be worth it for someone with a V6 truck/4Runner to swap out the whole engine and tranny.

Quick Reply: Engine importers