Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine help (22re)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine help (22re)

Been trying to get my "new" truck to start and progress has been slow.
Basically the engine will crank, fire, and run anywhere from 1-3 seconds before it cuts out. Seems like it can't hold an idle. I sprayed some starter fluid into the TB and that seemed to help get it going. I also replaced the spark plugs and that also seemed to help a little, but it still cuts out a few seconds after it fires.
Could it maybe be the spark plug wires? The coil? MAF? It doesn't seem to be a fuel issue since the engine doesn't sound like it's struggling for fuel, though I'm not ruling that out entirely.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Pretacopower; 08-25-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

if its running for 2-3 seconds, i would think its a fuel issue... spark is verified it either sparks or it doesnt, air is verified, there is a lot of it unless your sensors or filter or other restrictions are present, and fuel isnt necesarily verified, especially if it runs then cuts out and starting fluid helps... sounds like a fuel issue
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
possibly a clogged fuel filter?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Right side wheel well, check it out...
I had a FRAM filter and changed it for a NAPA - running pretty smooth now
Old 08-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into changing the fuel filter for starters and then move onto bigger (more expensive ) possible fuel issues.
I'll let you guys know how it works out
Old 08-26-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sprayed some starter fluid into the TB and that seemed to help get it going.
You do have the hose on that connects the TB to the airbox right.

Is your CE light on?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

If the only time it fires is with the starting fluid then it's fuel problem like Jimabena said.
Also check the fuel pump fuses.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
You do have the hose on that connects the TB to the airbox right.

Is your CE light on?
Yeah, the air intake hose is there. I don't have a dash so I can't tell if it's throwing a code, unless I get a code-pulling thing from Autozone which I'll prolly do.

Well, I replaced the fuel filter today to no avail. I seemed to help a little...after we replaced the fuel filter we sprayed some more starter fluid into the TB and started it and it actually ran for a good 10 seconds this time, but pretty rough....it eventually just sputtered and died like usual.

I guess I'm looking at a fuel injection problem? I don't think it's the fuel pump cause I can hear it when I turn it on. (We made a dash mounted switch to turn on the fuel pump) Unless it's a bad thing for the pump to make noise
So, I'm almost sure that I am looking at a fuel issue, though now I know it's not the fuel filter. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about calling my local mechanic but I really don't know if he'll want to touch this thing....
Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

vacuum leak?

Can you take a pic of your engine bay?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:39 PM

My "I admit I'm clueless" reply with a question:
How did you wire in the switch for the fuel pump? Doesn't the ECU on the 22re tell the pump when to fire up? Could you have somehow bypassed the ECU with the switch and now it doesn't know what to do?
Like I said, I'm pretty clueless.
Otherwise, I would check the harness to the airflow meter and the meter itself and just to risk burning the whole thing up, pull the fuel line before or after the fuel filter and run a line from it to a bucket or gas can. Crank the motor and see if you really are getting any fuel delivery. The only time I've really heard any noise out of a tank mounted pump was when the line was plugged.
Other remote chances, coil, efi fuse, alternator. Hopefully, it will be something simple so you can spend more time being ticked about not being able to figure out than the time it takes to fix it
Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

are the injectors clicking, theres a possibility that the old gas in it has turned to varnish and is restricting the injectors
Old 08-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
are the injectors clicking, theres a possibility that the old gas in it has turned to varnish and is restricting the injectors
Well, it did sit for over a year while the previous owner had "other obligations". Any advice on how to clean injectors? (w/out running any sort of cleaner through the gas tank of course)

Fahrenheit: To be completley honest, I had a friend do all the wiring stuff. I'm assuming it's all working because the starter fires up when we press the starter button and the fuel pump makes a kind of high pitched whirring noise when the toggle switch is turned on.
The one thing leading me to believe that the fuel pump DOES still work is that when we took out the old fuel filter, there was fresh gas inside it. Wouldn't that mean that the pump is working?

Peter: We listened close for a vacuum leak, but couldn't find one. I'll try taking a pic of the engine bay and post it tomorrow.

So far I've replaced:
Battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, and the fuel filter. Everything else is looking expensive
Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Well, it did sit for over a year while the previous owner had "other obligations". Any advice on how to clean injectors? (w/out running any sort of cleaner through the gas tank of course)
the only good way to clean them is to send them in to a place that does that kind of thing
Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
the only good way to clean them is to send them in to a place that does that kind of thing
That's what I was afraid of Oh well, I'm gonna go talk to my local mechanic tomorrow and see if he wants to look at it. I'll prolly just leave it with him and tell him to fix everything so I can finally take it out on some trails. It's depressing to see it sitting helplessly on the side of the street
Old 08-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

When it gets depressing just climb in and remember what Big Bear looked like
You'll get all excited again! Just remember what a good deal you got and even another $1.5K isn't asking too much considering.

Chin up buckaroo - it'll be an awesome ride
Old 09-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

update:
Well I took her to the local shop yesterday and today he told me he was able to get her running!
I haven't gone in to pick her up yet but over the phone he mentioned something about the truck not having an injector pulse....not quite sure what that means. Something to do with the injectors I assume

Anyway, he ran into another small problem. Apparently the push button start setup my friend wired together for it is sending constant power to the coil, thus draining my battery almost completley overnight. He's going to try to remedy the problem for me.
Woohoo! My truck runs!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

That's good news!!!

Did you see Mike's post on the discounted rate for the dash mats? It'll be a good start for your interior
Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
It'll be a good start for your interior
lol, and the long road that will follow. I'll be sure to check it out, though after spending what I'm about to spend on this thing for the repairs, it's gonna be sittin for awhile.
Oh well at least it works